Making Bowazon Runeword - What Did I do Wrong?

Discuss Median XL!
damaconz
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Hey all,

I've been reading up on making an end-game runeword for my bowazon and I think I messed it up. Where did I go wrong? I was using the Crafting Compendium topic on the forum as a guide. Here's what I did:

-Started With Superior Sacred Long Battle Bow (couldn't find a superior sacred reflex bow)
-Cubed with oil of renewal until 30+ ED and >100% AR bonus
-Applied oil of luck
-Socket punched it
-Crafted four jewels using Ber runes for +dex% and life leech
-MO'd with 5x ED orbs
-Placed in four jewels, Ber Rune, then Xis rune to make the "Hive" Runeword listed on the Runewords page.

Instead, what I got was a BerXis rune, without any of the stats I wanted. It's also level 140 (I assume I should not have put the MOs in it).

By that same token, I'm still using SuchBalance's Bowazon guide from old XL versions, so I have no idea if any of the EQ he suggests (Chamstriker, Dear Esther, etc), are still best for the bowazon. Has anyone seen an updated guide? I'm still using the Pantheon set, but am having trouble with level 125+ ubers (I simply don't do enough damage and get one-shotted by everything because I run ecstatic frenzy). Kabraxis, Quov Tsin, etc all smoke me just about instantly. Took me FOREVER to kill Athulua (and I hear her bow is useless anyway). I also get insta-gibbed when teleporting in Duncraig (what's the best way to stop this - should I equip something with a proc on death and just keep suiciding until it eventually clears a path for me?)

Any advice on a) where I went wrong, b) What gear would be best for me to craft, and c) What bow I should be looking for to bump me to late-game stats, would be awesome. For reference, my wyrmshot is listed at 2150-4078 dmg with 14,329 attack rating at level 126, using the Pantheon set + some random stuff that was recommended from the bowazon guide. I have no idea how much dmg a late game bowazon is capable of, but it's by far my favorite playstyle so far, so I'd like to see how far I can take it.

Thanks for your help! :)
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
That is why you dont follow old guides, or if you do, read the patch notes. I'll let you learn on your own.
Also enchanced runewords need lvl120, you add 20 levels to it from mos, it becomes lvl140.
Ericksonius
Pit Knight
102 | 1
Guy above me is right. In the most recent patch you don't insert the desired rune + Xis, you combine the xis rune with the rune required for the runeword in the cube beforehand, creating something like a "ThulXis" rune for example. It opens up another slot for a jewel, but i'm sorry to hear it shitbricked your bow in this case.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
I guess he wont learn on his own then.
Ericksonius
Pit Knight
102 | 1
Istaryu wrote:I guess he wont learn on his own then.

If he didn't learn from this, making him search for a single piece of information through the docs won't make any difference
Nyxias
Dark Huntress
14 | 6
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Guide Badge
damaconz wrote:Hey all,

I've been reading up on making an end-game runeword for my bowazon and I think I messed it up. Where did I go wrong? I was using the Crafting Compendium topic on the forum as a guide. Here's what I did:

-Started With Superior Sacred Long Battle Bow (couldn't find a superior sacred reflex bow)
-Cubed with oil of renewal until 30+ ED and >100% AR bonus
-Applied oil of luck
-Socket punched it
-Crafted four jewels using Ber runes for +dex% and life leech
-MO'd with 5x ED orbs
-Placed in four jewels, Ber Rune, then Xis rune to make the "Hive" Runeword listed on the Runewords page.

Instead, what I got was a BerXis rune, without any of the stats I wanted. It's also level 140 (I assume I should not have put the MOs in it).

By that same token, I'm still using SuchBalance's Bowazon guide from old XL versions, so I have no idea if any of the EQ he suggests (Chamstriker, Dear Esther, etc), are still best for the bowazon. Has anyone seen an updated guide? I'm still using the Pantheon set, but am having trouble with level 125+ ubers (I simply don't do enough damage and get one-shotted by everything because I run ecstatic frenzy). Kabraxis, Quov Tsin, etc all smoke me just about instantly. Took me FOREVER to kill Athulua (and I hear her bow is useless anyway). I also get insta-gibbed when teleporting in Duncraig (what's the best way to stop this - should I equip something with a proc on death and just keep suiciding until it eventually clears a path for me?)

Any advice on a) where I went wrong, b) What gear would be best for me to craft, and c) What bow I should be looking for to bump me to late-game stats, would be awesome. For reference, my wyrmshot is listed at 2150-4078 dmg with 14,329 attack rating at level 126, using the Pantheon set + some random stuff that was recommended from the bowazon guide. I have no idea how much dmg a late game bowazon is capable of, but it's by far my favorite playstyle so far, so I'd like to see how far I can take it.

Thanks for your help! :)

if you would have read the Runeword page, you would have known that enhanced Runewords now use enhanced Runes instead of Xis+other rune. the way you make enhanced runes is by cubing the Xis rune and the rune you want to enhance.
Pinging yourself, the digital masturbation :twisted: :twisted:
-Mr.Mcdevitt
nick1358
Bone Archer
77 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Istaryu wrote:I guess he wont learn on his own then.

Well at least you're not being a total dickface about it, which is nice. Be helpful or don't be in his topic at all. The guy is asking sincerely what he did wrong.
OrphineM
Gravedigger
188 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Guide Badge
OP, you're not the first one to be caught out by this. Latest patch changed it to where you cube the other rune with the Xis rune, then put it in last. It gives you an extra gem slot.

At least you can reuse the base item, throw an oil of renewal at it, and start again.
damaconz
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Thanks for all the info. I caught the error on the MOs (making it level 140, whoops), but missed the runeword error. I'll get it right next time. For anyone still reading this thread - any idea which runeword would work best on a bowazon?

Thanks!
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
damaconz wrote:Thanks for all the info. I caught the error on the MOs (making it level 140, whoops), but missed the runeword error. I'll get it right next time. For anyone still reading this thread - any idea which runeword would work best on a bowazon?

Thanks!

None. For farming you want to craft a high dmg reflex bow with intimidating shrine preferably, but any other shrine works for now, you can upgrade later. Bows can roll up to 320 max dmg.
For bosses, askarbydd is pretty good, it has decent damage, and rapid wyrmshot is really strong. You can also use askarbydd for farming if you are lazy.

Keep in mind that this is not the only way to play a bowzon, it is just the meta currently.