Chance of ported D3 classes?

Discuss Median XL!
Varkarrus
Skeleton
3 | 0
Okay so I'm sure Diablo 3 leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth, (and it certainly does in mine), but if Azmodan and Belial could make it in to this mod, why not my gal Johanna? D3 may have done many things wrong, but character design was not one of them, and I'd love to see the Median XL team's treatment of the Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, Wizard, and Crusader.

Once I get more experience with the mod, I just might try writing up some fully fledged out concepts myself.

The Diablo 1 Warrior, Rogue, and Mage could also make fun additions, even if they're a little generic; finding a unique niche for them.

Here's, I guess, some potential base concepts for them.

Witch Doctor: Sustained AoE damage master. Many short lived minions, group poison attacks, and zoning abilities. Mediocre defenses and vitality, but can gain esoteric forms of survivability, such as lifesteal, and reducing enemy damage.

Demon Hunter: Ranged physical damage glass cannon. Can dual wield Demon Hunter crossbows. Hates being in melee against groups, but can learn several melee skills that focus on quickly dispatching single targets, including an "execution" skill that delivers instant death if the target is below a threshold. One skill path could allow Demon Hunter to be interpreted as "Demon who is also a Hunter"

Wizard: Sustained magical glass cannon. Less mana than most casters, plus high mana costs. However, their innate ability grants tremendous mana regeneration after not casting a spell for more than a second. (Also they get a fixed percentage bonus to feedback damage) They need to weave between mid-range and long-range quickly, kiting foes before blowing them up with stronger close range attacks.

Crusader: Nigh unkillable tank. Lowest offensive power, but can survive a beating, lockdown entire groups of enemies, and support a team. Would probably have a strong reliance on their mercenary in solo play. Like the Paladin, could go down a Dark path. Innate ability would cause a small shockwave when hitting foes in melee, dealing minor damage and applying a small damage and speed debuff. Shockwave would have increased size when using an area hit weapon, and would apply a minor physical resistance debuff when a mega hit weapon is triggered.

Monk: An oddball melee class. Can be a highly mobile, aggressive melee character. Can also be played with a good mix of damage and defense, but with far more mobility than most bruisers. But, the Monk can also shine as a support class, with healing abilities and team buffs. I would actually use Kharazim from Heroes of the Storm as a major source of inspiration; instead of supporting from the back lines, the Monk would have close-range support abilities they can perform while dancing through the front lines. As for builds unique to Median XL: A Shield Monk that gains increased benefits from a shield, but can sacrifice those bonuses for powerful shield-based attacks, Captain America style.

Got less ideas for the D1 classes, but I feel versatility should be where they shine

Warrior: A versatile spellsword: primarily a decent mix between offense and defense. They would primarily have utility based spells, but they can enchant their weapons for element based damage buffs: particularly important when fighting enemies with high physical resistances.

Rogue: A versatile ranged character. Could be built into a veritable sniper; able to take out enemies from great distances. Or could be built into a strong melee duelist, who makes up for low health with a high affinity for blocking and evading melee attacks.

Mage: A versatile spellcaster. Has a mix between offensive, defensive, and support-based spells. Also has a demon summoning build, which synergizes well with their support spells.
Edited by Varkarrus 4 years.
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Didn't read but I like it alot, hope devs implement it next patch
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2975 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
:pop:
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Setting aside whether they'd even fit within the game's lore, and whatever programming/balance challenges there may be, implementing new classes in D2 is a major undertaking.

As I understand it, D2 uses 3D models converted to sprites, so it's not as simple as rendering, downscaling, and plopping a new model right into the game. Each frame of model animation has to be converted 8x (once for each direction the character could face). There are run/walk animations, attack animations, casting animations, block animations, hit recovery animations, death animations, and so on. And each of these animation frames has to be made with the character using each weapon type and wearing each armor type (including shield and no shield variants).

The devs would probably take a look at any work someone was willing to do, but I doubt they're interested in making these assets themselves at this time. I could be wrong about all of this, though.
Varkarrus
Skeleton
3 | 0
That's actually really easy to deal with. Once you make the model and animations, converting them to 2D sprites is just a batch process. They already do it every time they add a new monster, and this time they already have the models. I think it'd be Holy Shit I Forgot About The Monk

can't believe I forgot about the monk, that was my first character in D3!
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Varkarrus wrote:That's actually really easy to deal with. Once you make the model and animations, converting them to 2D sprites is just a batch process. They already do it every time they add a new monster, and this time they already have the models. I think it'd be Holy Shit I Forgot About The Monk

can't believe I forgot about the monk, that was my first character in D3!

I'm not sure as if any of the new monsters were made by the team or if they were collected elsewhere.
Putting aside any sort of impossibility with adding new classes in the game, the main complaint on these forums is balance and that would just be adding more things to balance. I'd be all for it, but I couldn't even tell you if adding new classes is currently possible. You could argue Blzzard did it with LoD, but they have access to source code, which is something Median devs don't have.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
It takes weeks/months to rework or make a single skill tree, and there are many builds in need of a rework, so id say chances are very slim.
MJA1521
Bone Archer
77 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
So Sigma is kinda heading in it's own unique direction if you haven't already noticed. Making Sigma into pretty much a Diablo 3 port would just be tasteless imo. The characters sure, they were cool and all but the amount of time and work that would have to go into the design, skill trees and the gear (since we all know a build wouldn't just work with skills alone) would take years. If anyone wanted to even attempt something like this it would require a complete from the ground up make-over. Sigma I can see adding more bosses from
Diablo 3 as ubers or something but the whole classes, skill trees, and gear that would go with everything is a bit far fetched. Closest I think you would get is relevant skills from Diablo 3 or at least skills and gfx that look similar.
InvokeList
Thunder Beetle
54 | 15
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
I saw somewhere way back on phrozen keep site that has this similar concept Marco had commented on:
https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=25
He has a good point, though.
Varkarrus
Skeleton
3 | 0
It's hard-coded as 7? That doesn't sound right... I feel like I for sure played a mod with additional classes, but I guess I could be wrong.