Gamma Field Druid

Discuss Median XL!
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I really wanted to try this build on single player but never managed to find the Apprentice Wolf Head (Sacred) helm. Has anyone tried this build? I'm really curious about boss killing. How well does it kill Hell Baal for example? Or is this strictly a farming build and it's next to impossible to kill uber bosses with this?
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
the damage is rather inferior overall, but it can be done, same as any other poison caster with low defense ish. cast, apply poison, bait him through gamma fields, let it do damage over time.
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Just so you know this helm haves an item level of 120.
Which means it cannot drop in 3KBA. I got it a couple times in Fauztinville.
Knight_Saber
Monkey King
264 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Keep in mind that
Oak's Teaching
Oak's Teaching
(Druid Oskill Set)

Eye of Wisdom
Apprentice

Set Bonus with complete set:
Gamma Field: Increased Damage and Lowered Duration
+20% to Poison Spell Damage
+25 to Gamma Field
+75 Life after each Kill

reduces the base poison duration to under a second (0.8s iirc). When using that set, you aren't doing long slow poison, you're trying to keep that going through more regular casting. It is not like 'old' 30+ second OHK gamma field.
If it hits once per second and lasts 8 seconds (gamma field spell, not the poison duration), you would need +400% poison duration just to keep it constant on enemies with 75% reduced poison duration.
I never tried it as a build, I just experimented in Duncraig (half equipped) to see how the set worked.
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Knight_Saber wrote:Keep in mind that
Oak's Teaching
Oak's Teaching
(Druid Oskill Set)

Eye of Wisdom
Apprentice

+25 to Gamma Field
+75 Life after each Kill

reduces the base poison duration to under a second (0.8s iirc). When using that set, you aren't doing long slow poison, you're trying to keep that going through more regular casting. It is not like 'old' 30+ second OHK gamma field.
If it hits once per second and lasts 8 seconds (gamma field spell, not the poison duration), you would need +400% poison duration just to keep it constant on enemies with 75% reduced poison duration.
I never tried it as a build, I just experimented in Duncraig (half equipped) to see how the set worked.

Just to make sure I understood you correctly: even though the poison lasts 0.8 seconds, since the spell itself lasts 8 seconds, that means that as long as enemies are standing in my gamma field, then even though the poison damage lasts 0.8 seconds, the enemies will still be getting hit for 8 seconds, because they are standing in the gamma field. Is that correct?
redicomerade
Abomination
140 | 10
Common Popularity Badge
I got a poison druid, and let me yell you few things...
Gamma field ends up 3 times weaker than your poison avatar skill, i saw zero reasons to use gamma field as a main skill,
And your acid friends :wink: with maxed passives to them deal way more damage with their poison flash than your poison avatar, so its a strange build.
With upcoming changes this build will be very interesting, need some testing
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
redicomerade wrote:I got a poison druid, and let me yell you few things...
Gamma field ends up 3 times weaker than your poison avatar skill, i saw zero reasons to use gamma field as a main skill,
And your acid friends :wink: with maxed passives to them deal way more damage with their poison flash than your poison avatar, so its a strange build.
With upcoming changes this build will be very interesting, need some testing

oh wow, in that case even with the upcoming 25% buff to gamma, playing gamma druid seems pointless.. very disappointing..
boozek
Son of Lucion
738 | 31
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Gamma field is very fast castable spell and covers almost whole screen, its the best farming poison spell.
With max gear and
Oak's Teaching
Oak's Teaching
(Druid Oskill Set)

Eye of Wisdom
Apprentice

+25 to Gamma Field
+75 Life after each Kill

you can easily get nice dmg

watch here the dmg could be higher yet its still viable
Movie made by ="BoneSpirit"

On my Sorc I was able to get 80-130k with crappy gear. I am sure you can get more with max gear and new season gamma field buff
Edited by boozek 4 years.
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
boozek wrote:Gamma field is very fast castable spell and covers almost whole screen, its the best farming poison spell.
With max gear and
Oak's Teaching
Oak's Teaching
(Druid Oskill Set)

Eye of Wisdom
Apprentice

+25 to Gamma Field
+75 Life after each Kill

you can easily get nice dmg

watch here the dmg could be higher yet its still viable
BoneSpirit wrote:

On my Sorc I was able to get 80-130k with crappy gear. I am sure you can get more with max gear and new season gamma field buff

yes I see that it's a good farming tool, but is it usable as an uber boss killer or do you need to switch to something else when killing hell baal for example?
Knight_Saber
Monkey King
264 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
tempmail wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Just to make sure I understood you correctly: even though the poison lasts 0.8 seconds, since the spell itself lasts 8 seconds, that means that as long as enemies are standing in my gamma field, then even though the poison damage lasts 0.8 seconds, the enemies will still be getting hit for 8 seconds, because they are standing in the gamma field. Is that correct?

It hits once per second for 8 seconds (only keeps hitting while they remain in the AoE (which is large). Each hit will refresh the duration. Enemy (poison) defenses will lower the duration while increased poison duration from gear will increase the duration. You get this kind of 'double dip' effect from -enemy poison resist%, so that is a really important stat (more than -200% is redundant).
The mechanics of the skill (modified by
Oak's Teaching
Oak's Teaching
(Druid Oskill Set)

Eye of Wisdom
Apprentice

+25 to Gamma Field
+75 Life after each Kill

) make it so that the effective duration (base skill duration + your gear increases - enemy decreases) need not exceed 1 second.

I hope this provides clarity.