Median2017 - What Char Will You Start With

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.

Which character are you planning on starting with?

Amazon
16%
Necromancer
16%
Barbarian
13%
Sorceress
11%
Paladin
18%
Assassin
16%
Druid
11%

Total votes: 560

demonshalo
Monkey King
274 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Solfege wrote:lol wut? Melee Sorc works just fine in Fauzt. You can practically do the entire BRC blindfolded with RWs and crafts. Sure you can't just afk D-Fauzt, but with decent gear, it's still not much of a problem. And ofc she's not gonna be good for some Ubers. IDK any melee build that can do Startled Witch, for example (not saying it's impossible, tho). But that's kinda the point with Ubers, isn't it--to have them diverse enough so no single build can do 100% of all content?

I had a pretty sick melee sorc in the previous ladder. It worked just fine. In fact, I did manage to take care of most ubers without having to switch build. However, it performed just as well as a pouncezon with half the farm. Problem as I see it with melee sorc is that somehow she always lacks something no matter how hard you try to balance her. I think a minor buff is needed for that char to work, or perhaps some cool new item build!

Just my 2 cents!

Edit:

Having said that, what would you classify as the best melee build in the game currently?
Seekers
Ice Clan
597 | 99
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
demonshalo wrote:
Solfege wrote:lol wut? Melee Sorc works just fine in Fauzt. You can practically do the entire BRC blindfolded with RWs and crafts. Sure you can't just afk D-Fauzt, but with decent gear, it's still not much of a problem. And ofc she's not gonna be good for some Ubers. IDK any melee build that can do Startled Witch, for example (not saying it's impossible, tho). But that's kinda the point with Ubers, isn't it--to have them diverse enough so no single build can do 100% of all content?

I had a pretty sick melee sorc in the previous ladder. It worked just fine. In fact, I did manage to take care of most ubers without having to switch build. However, it performed just as well as a pouncezon with half the farm. Problem as I see it with melee sorc is that somehow she always lacks something no matter how hard you try to balance her. I think a minor buff is needed for that char to work, or perhaps some cool new item build!

Just my 2 cents!

Edit:

Having said that, what would you classify as the best melee build in the game currently?

Farming:
Meele nec, no other option.
Altough wolf is better endgame, and so is pouncezon, and ofc pouncesin.

Charms: Just roll a caster, or a barb as mahi said if you really want to do charms with meele.

FIX'D.
Edited by Seekers 6 years.
mahitovec
twitch.tv/mahitovec
1799 | 190
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Common Guide Badge
Of course not. Melee nec is viable for farming only, while barb is great charm hunter and farmer aswell.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
demonshalo wrote:I had a pretty sick melee sorc in the previous ladder. It worked just fine. In fact, I did manage to take care of most ubers without having to switch build. However, it performed just as well as a pouncezon with half the farm. Problem as I see it with melee sorc is that somehow she always lacks something no matter how hard you try to balance her. I think a minor buff is needed for that char to work, or perhaps some cool new item build!

Just my 2 cents!

Edit:

Yeah, that's the big problem with Melee Sorc. It's always a game of resource management. You can pump her defense, but then she can't kill anything. You can pump up her damage, but then she gets 1-shot by a Fallen's fart. You can try to balance her out, but then she doesn't do anything particularly well. To top it off, she has a lackluster skillset, so she's almost totally reliant on gear to make up for it--except she's terribly limitied in the gear she can use if you want to take full advantage of that skillset. But as annoying as it is, I've come to appreciate those aspects of the build. It adds a bit of challenge to the otherwise painfully boring playstyle. TBH, I like that the Melee Sorc is a sort of middle-ground melee character--not op like Melee Necro, but not super tactical like Clawsin (though I wouldn't mind if Melee Sorc were a bit more tactical).

My biggest problem with Melee Sorc is that there's no reason to ever play the build. I mean, take Necro, for example. You go Totemancer for general gameplay and some Ubers, Melee to farm, and X-bow for Ubers the other two can't do. It's a fairly well-rounded class. But with Sorc, there's never a reason to choose melee since there's really nothing she can do that a Caster Sorc can't do 10x better.

And I'm not experienced enough with other builds to give good advice on best melee build. Seekers got you covered on that front. :)
demonshalo
Monkey King
274 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Solfege wrote:Yeah, that's the big problem with Melee Sorc. It's always a game of resource management. You can pump her defense, but then she can't kill anything. You can pump up her damage, but then she gets 1-shot by a Fallen's fart. You can try to balance her out, but then she doesn't do anything particularly well. To top it off, she has a lackluster skillset, so she's almost totally reliant on gear to make up for it--except she's terribly limitied in the gear she can use if you want to take full advantage of that skillset. But as annoying as it is, I've come to appreciate those aspects of the build. It adds a bit of challenge to the otherwise painfully boring playstyle. TBH, I like that the Melee Sorc is a sort of middle-ground melee character--not op like Melee Necro, but not super tactical like Clawsin (though I wouldn't mind if Melee Sorc were a bit more tactical).

My biggest problem with Melee Sorc is that there's no reason to ever play the build. I mean, take Necro, for example. You go Totemancer for general gameplay and some Ubers, Melee to farm, and X-bow for Ubers the other two can't do. It's a fairly well-rounded class. But with Sorc, there's never a reason to choose melee since there's really nothing she can do that a Caster Sorc can't do 10x better.

And I'm not experienced enough with other builds to give good advice on best melee build. Seekers got you covered on that front. :)

Last ladder I even tried the ssssu grizzly warp blade and wanted to build around it to balance the dmg output vs surviveability issue. Even that did not fix the problem. I have always loved melee builds but this one in particular is just not worth it imo. Especially not as a starting char. Which is a shame since sorc is my favorite class :/

In case you haven't seen the grizzly before:
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
this ladder im either going to do sin or amazon since i try to do a new class each ladder. Im pretty heavily leaning towards sin now though but early game is so painful on assassin every time ive tried to make one.

probably will use nitz ll guide or some kind of caster sin to get most of the charms then swap over to some proc based wdm setup when i have the gear for it.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
demonshalo wrote:Last ladder I even tried the ssssu grizzly warp blade and wanted to build around it to balance the dmg output vs surviveability issue. Even that did not fix the problem. I have always loved melee builds but this one in particular is just not worth it imo. Especially not as a starting char. Which is a shame since sorc is my favorite class :/

In case you haven't seen the grizzly before:
► Show Spoiler

Sorc is my fav class too, but Assassin is starting to turn me on (metaphorically, ofc ;) ). Never tried Grizzly. Seems like a weapon made for a melee/caster hybrid. I assume Baneblade locks out Blood Thorns and Lemurs? If so, I wonder how well it would pair with Deathlord morph from
Lachdanan's Visage
Lachdanan's Visage
Banded Plate (Sacred)

Defense: (8973 - 10165) to (14769 - 16229)
(Sorceress Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 627
Item Level: 120
Mana Shield: 65% less Mana Drained when Hit
You may Only use Melee, Summon and Support Skills
Adds 200-300 Magic Damage
Adds 150-200 Fire Damage
Adds 150-200 Lightning Damage
Adds 150-200 Cold Damage
-30% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+(161 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+(1000 to 5000) Defense
Socketed (6)
. I used
Whispers of Mirakodus
and +FSD/-EFR gear recently. Could actually farm Duncraig--well, sort of. :)
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Solfege wrote:I assume Baneblade locks out Blood Thorns and Lemurs?

probably not, because terror strike itself locks out caster spells, and its required to use blood thorns in the first place
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
void wrote:
Solfege wrote:I assume Baneblade locks out Blood Thorns and Lemurs?

probably not, because terror strike itself locks out caster spells, and its required to use blood thorns in the first place

They are melee spells. Should be fine.

sad that baneblade doesnt work with lachdana's armor
Atlzac
Prowler
19 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
How does it work with old characters for SP? Do they upgrade to the new version and retain gear and levels or do we start fresh?