Median XL engine

Discuss Median XL!
Kenshin
Jungle Hunter
25 | 0
This question bothers me everyday, why creators of Median XL just don't make new game, wouldn't be that easier to write new game with new engine similar to this one? No restrictions, fan base would follow, no copyright issues etc. I m just being curious, why keeping it on Diablo 2 engine.

Cheers, love this mod.
-----
Thunder Beetle
56 | 1
There are only a few active devs and they're part time. You are severely underestimating how much work it is to create a whole new engine and game, let alone all of the art assets. For example, look at another game in the genre - Torchlight. Around 20 full time developers working 11 months to get that game out (and a shit game btw).
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
you cannot realistically pull that off without investors, kind of how dota 2 was supported by valve
Nitz
Harpylisk
1476 | 57
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Wouldn't it be possible to ask the PoE devs to make a mod kit and make stringma PoE version rather fast?
Kenshin
Jungle Hunter
25 | 0
You have Grimdawn, which only 12 people were making, also it's 2017, there are stuff like kickstarter, patreons etc. and I bet there would be alot of people intrested in helping creating game.
-----
Thunder Beetle
56 | 1
Kenshin wrote:You have Grimdawn, which only 12 people were making, also it's 2017, there are stuff like kickstarter, patreons etc. and I bet there would be alot of people intrested in helping creating game.

So assume you can find 12 full time developers - Grim Dawn took six years to develop, and it was based on a heavily modified Titan Quest engine I believe. The Grim Dawn developers previously made Titan Quest which is very different expertise than you need to develop a D2 mod. Anyway, you got your answer from the main developer of this mod... It is a nice idea, but it is definitely not easier than modifying Diablo.
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
It's like modifying your old car you love as you go as opposed to creating a brand new car from the chassis up. Time and money, dude. If you've got both, then give us some. :mrgreen:
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
MrFunk
Bone Archer
77 | 5
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Honestly, if I ever won the lottery I would bankroll you guys to make your own action RPG from scratch in a heartbeat. No question.
GregMXL
Team Member
10590 | 180
Legendary Posting Badge
Posted over 10.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Median XL Team Member
Great Special Badge
Legend.
These guys deserve a lot just for the time they've been putting in. Marco, SB, whist, Q and Inertia do a lot more than it seems cause what they do looks easy cause it flows easy but it's not.
I don't mean to dwell...but I can't help myself.
genei
Prowler
16 | 0
How pathetic people in here. They never look a different point of view from East Asian MMORPG games. That is why Trump want to attack North Korea. I notice for an old game Ragnarok Online is popular in East and Diablo 2 is popular in the West. :lol: :lol: