Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Solfege wrote:1. Sacred Warp Blade [and naginata] drop rates
They need to be increased. [...] I've heard so many complaints about this [...] I don't think it makes sense to restrict access to that one weapon to such a degree.

+1

but overall i would disagree with melee sorc being close where she needs to be this patch, its a bit too early for that imo. despite the good buffs like fbr on baneblade (its a significant help, i will not deny this fact, and credit where credit is due that was a good idea), she is still a low tier melee char and i would attribute that to the

lower than average clearspeed with the basic skills (low amount of sword missilies compared with something like harbinger and much less overall dps as well, even for single target its not overwhelming),

combined with going into block animation as a melee char (in general its not nice in a game like median to be melee range and max block but a char like batsin does it better and packs more damage as well, batsin also got the sweet 50% shower of rocks on kill claw rw),

combined with the restrictions you have of damage vs defense (fire dance for damage but lower defense, ice elementals for defense and dr but no damage increase, and look how other chars get way of the phoenix, dragonfire oil, elfin weapons etc that are more useful than just damage%),

combined with the extra hoops you have to jump through such as resummoning (usually low hp) ice elmenetals to use the trees full potential, which doesnt feel very rewarding considering the relative weakness of the spec.

imo after the patch buffs shes closer to where she needs to be, but shes not getting close to it yet, shes still rather ineffective
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
void wrote:but overall i would disagree with melee sorc being close where she needs to be this patch, its a bit too early for that imo. despite the good buffs like fbr on baneblade (its a significant help, i will not deny this fact, and credit where credit is due that was a good idea), she is still a low tier melee char and i would attribute that to the lower than average clearspeed with the basic skills (low amount of sword missilies compared with something like harbinger and much less overall dps as well, even for single target its not overwhelming)...

Fair enough. I was just glad she even got this much attention so I didn't want to be greedy with my wishlist and risk a backlash.

I also try not to compare one class/build to another anymore b/c doing so just pisses me off, so I was just comparing the build's performance in this patch to the last. But if you wanna compare it to other melee builds, then yeah, Melee Sorc is still at the bottom-tier.

combined with going into block animation as a melee char (in general its not nice in a game like median to be melee range and max block but a char like batsin does it better and packs more damage as well, batsin also got the sweet 50% shower of rocks on kill claw rw)...

Yup. You can see in the demo video I posted in the guide that she just stands there at certain points (Fauzt and Vizjun especially) for a second or two. That's not me just standing there like a dumbass, she's locked in place--unable to attack, move, or do anything.

combined with the restrictions you have of damage vs defense (fire dance for damage but lower defense, ice elementals for defense and dr but no damage increase, and look how other chars get way of the phoenix, dragonfire oil, elfin weapons etc that are more useful than just damage%)...

I wouldn't mind so much having to choose between damage or defense if you could actually get superior damage or defense.

If you go the damage route (which I prefer), you still need super expensive items that are entirely impractical to get just to give her a chance at competing with other melee builds. And if those other builds also have those same super expensive items, then Melee Sorc isn't even a factor anymore. Also, if you go full damage, max block and Warp Armor's small %Avoid bonus are your only means of survival. You've got no defense and no %DR b/c your gear choices need to focus on anything that can add flat damage. And even with Moonstrike's max life buff and +%Max Life items, you're lucky to get 14k life, which makes you incredibly vulnerable to all the spellcasters in Median.

If you go full defense, you can pull off 800k defense, max block, passible %DR, and some %Avoid, but you'll have no damage. And in order to maintain that defense and %DR, you need to constantly resummon your weak Ice Elementals. On top of that, you still have no life or even any regen if something gets through your defenses. This works fine early-game, but end-game, with all the high-life Uber bosses and their regen, killing as quickly as possible is a much better strategy than hoping your defense alone will keep you alive. And again, all the defense, block, and %DR in the world won't help against casters.

As for Firedance, the skill CD lockout thing and the much lower radius (this especially) really hurt its effectiveness for this build. Like with summons, I never even bother with it end-game b/c you're not standing in one place long enough to take advantage of it. Plus, I dislike not having access to Fusillade or Divine Apparition if I get into some shit and need quick burst damage or a quick escape, since again, you don't have the skill points to waste on reducing its CD timer.

And I have no idea why Melee Sorc doesn't have access to any good oskills that make already top-tier builds even moreso. But that's a whole other rage-inducing can of worms that I'd rather not open rn.

combined with the extra hoops you have to jump through such as resummoning (usually low hp) ice elmenetals to use the trees full potential, which doesnt feel very rewarding considering the relative weakness of the spec.

Again, Sorc summons are practically useless for a Melee Sorc end-game without significant skill point investment (which she cannot spare). And focusing on minion-boosting gear/MOs to make up for the lack of skill points just leaves your own character that much more vulnerable.
Dude Love
Grubber
312 | 16
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I think the problem with nagi drop rates is that it's already such a rare weapon for no good reason in the first place? Like even the basic bitch tier 1 naginata has a quality level of 9 and not 1, which means you have to get to killing level 9 monsters before they start dropping??? Which is REALLY bizarre because you'd think if an entire playstyle is supposed to be built around this weapon (since there are no variants, which is also weird bc I know for a fact it wouldn't be super difficult to add more naginatas) you should be able to play it from level 1 onwards...

I think adding more naginatas might be a decent bandaid for the issue; I would imagine another contributing factor to the rareness of nagis must be the fact that it's its own itemtype with only one variant (so when a monster dies and the game rolls to see how many items it drops, the next stage of item type selection isn't given spectacular odds to pick out a naginata, and even if it did, it's still got to pick what kind of naginata and then its quality) -- surely the same must go for sorceress swords
sujan2016
Jungle Hunter
27 | 0
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I Thought I read from Patchnotes that Chiped and Flawed Gems are no longer dropsImage
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
It happens on Quest drops, Hellforge also still drops low level gems
Syade9112
Cultist
20 | 2
I should get "triune's blessing" but i got this instead:
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Syade9112 wrote:I should get "triune's blessing" but i got this instead:

Old bug. Already addressed and should be fixed next patch
thunderman
Banned
540 | 81
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
10 million repair cost :-o doesn't look natural to me, even if players using better/other throwing weapons this still needs to be corrected.
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
High Runes always have stupid repair costs
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Solfege wrote:
► Show Spoiler

yes, i didnt use the fire spec for long because she died instantly, so the firedance issue didnt catch my attention yet :) but yea overall our views on this are consistent with one another.
for sure one obvious way of perhaps getting more offense out of the spec is by increasing the viablity of fusilade and the two sword skills (more missiles for the bladestorms if fps are not a problem otherwise more wdm, different cooldown and hitting mechanics on fusilade, and tweaked mechanics how the swords behave for all of them). this would be beneficial even for the early game.
and for mid-lategame giving certain sorc skills a hard point synergy with baneblade seems reasonable. for example
massively more hp/tankiness for ice elementals for baneblade hard pts but minion count reduced to 2,
flat fire dmg to weapon from fire passive per hard pt,
%cb to light passive per hard pt in baneblade,
and something else for the cold and poison passive.
something like that.
in that way melee sorc gets stronger but there is still an emphasis on the different paths she can go. balancing those to be somewhat compareable in efficiency might be a whole different story though :P
for blocking i wonder if it can even be made better honestly, the whole premise of a blocking melee char is kind of forcing defensive playstyle or burst damage to be really effective, or perhaps some other factor that doesnt come to my mind right now