Think the Visuals for Dragonknight and Deathlord make a comeback?

Discuss Median XL!
oztor
Cog
242 | 9
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Superbeast and deathlord morphs were two things that hooked me up years ago. I hope more morphs will be implemented in the future. Too bad treewarden and dragonknight are gone :(
JSkelly
Invader
9 | 0
i know right, for me too, it played a major role for me to get into median in the first place
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I always thought the deathlord morph was iconic, and was shocked to see it removed. It should definitely make a comeback, imo.

Edit: I feel that the morphs in general helped seperate MXL from the slew of inferior D2 mods out there. Any idea why most morphs were removed?
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
There is no hate towards morphs, the issue comes when they are forced into builds and you have no option but to use it. There have been many people who have voiced their opinion against morphs and I tend to agree, the first moments of using a morph are quite exciting but as the excitement wears off you are left with an out-of-place 8-directional sprite and where your equipment choices dont make a visual impact on your char. I.e. necro is the only character that swings scythes (cool af item) and it used to be negated by the morph, so there's 2 sides of a coin for sure. Not to mention some other minor downsides of morphs such as losing them when swapping acts, just a minor annoyance though and not the reason for removal.

New morphs will be introduced in new items in the future, but rarely enough so that morphs still feel unique to use. As far as character goes, almost certainly no new innate morphs will be added - only druid will keep his three (shapeshifter class) as well as superbeast paladin, due to historical reasons and because that one is actually kind of epic, now with removed Dragonknight there would be even less of a reason to take this one out.

Morphs wont need a comeback because they aren't gone, not long ago we did get new Talic set, although *spoiler alert* its bugged and will have to be removed next patch. Either way for sure some new morphs be implemented here and there on items in the future.
Illicit
Dark Huntress
12 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Legendary Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
I think having most morphs on items is a good solution and middle ground for sure. It also makes the hunt for that defiler dagger all the sweeter. I am on board
JSkelly
Invader
9 | 0
indeed, that's also very cool as hell, is there anyway i can see which weapons give morph-look btw? and how to get them? i only know the defiler
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
For me the only reason I'm not using the defiler is because of that morph. :D

Visually only superbeast, bear and wolf are kinda cool, others look clunky or just fugly(traprat) and feel like I'm playing with toys, only reason to use certain ones are insane fcr/fpa ratings. So imo things are in good place now with superbeast, wolf and bear, now if we just could get some kind of replace to traprat, but what other creature is based on spikes...?
bapcja
Abomination
154 | 8
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
to many players morphs are all about attractive breakpoints. classic clod morphs - werewolf and werebear are especially prone to abuse, as they scale insanely with weapon attack speed.
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
JSkelly wrote:is there anyway i can see which weapons give morph-look btw?

In the Items tab of the Documentation you can search for all the equips present in the game (they're divided by categories).

Jampula wrote:but what other creature is based on spikes...?

Dark Toad/Lurker

Btw I personally share your stand on morphs and I don't particulary like them due to what Marco has already pointed out. I'd rather look at the character I've built than a limited sprite, especially if it morphs you into a model already shared by multiple enemies in the game, which, in my opinion, diminishes its value even further.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Now, what if there were charms that provided the morphs purely for cosmetic purposes with frame rates locked to the class of the individual that has them equipped? Like low drop rate charms that drop randomly in certain zones?

Would that even be possible?

There are a lot of cool sprites that could be ported in. I’m sure many community members might be able to help with that.