Median XL doesn't load properly

Need help installing the mod?
kratos97
Fallen
1 | 0
Hello everyone,
I'm very confused as to how to get the mod working. I began by installing a fresh installation of Diablo II and LOD from the battlenet site. So it's version 1.14 or whatever.

Then I tried to "just copy the files" as it literally says to do so in the readme of median xl 1.2.0. The game starts, I create a character, error 2233 (not 2239) and yea, that was that.

So I tried the D2SE thing - turns out all the "readmes" or manuals for that are 2 years old and barely functioning (if functioning at all), obviously there's no luck in even starting median xl with that either.

So my next step was to take the 1.13 files that d2se provided, copied them into the main folder of Diablo II in order to "downgrade" it or whatever, then apply the median stuff and - guess what: NOT working

So I install the median xl launcher and to my surprise the game actually starts, I create a character and ... yea, the new skills are there and stuff... but Akara has her garbage inventory, no orbs, no nothing. So I walk up to charsie for these disenchant items and whatnot and - go figure - she has her average garbage diablo 2 itemset, none of the new stuff.
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Sounds like the launcher installation was successful. Gheed now sells orbs in act 1, instead of Akara, and the catalysts are given out as quest rewards.
Cheno
Heretic
434 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
suchbalance wrote:Sounds like the launcher installation was successful. Gheed now sells orbs in act 1, instead of Akara, and the catalysts are given out as quest rewards.

Isn't the launcher the "legit" way of installing Median for D2 1.14 anyway? I thought D2SE and manual copy pasting was outdated. Not sure why OP went the extra steps instead of just going for the launcher to begin with.
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
It is, ease of install and 1-2mb patch downloads instead of 300+ every time is great. OP is probably an old timer, used to the olden install ways.
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Hi, I posted here but never got a response:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22704&p=356237&sid=d919ab1c75fc863392ccbd0fad57948d#p356237

This guy's post seemed like a good springboard. I still can't play whatsoever. Should I continue to wait for an official response in the other thread?
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Median XL Team Member
Taem wrote:Hi, I posted here but never got a response:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22704&p=356237&sid=d919ab1c75fc863392ccbd0fad57948d#p356237
This guy's post seemed like a good springboard. I still can't play whatsoever. Should I continue to wait for an official response in the other thread?

Sorry, didn't notice your post on the other thread. The error you're experiencing usually is solved by a simlple PC restart but I guess it's not your case. Go into the Launcher settings page and make sure you're attempting to run the game in windowed mode, also set Diablo II.exe to run as an Administrator and in compatibility mode with Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and the Launcher as an Administrator.
If this doesn't suffice try to see if changing video mode prevent the error, and make sure no security program is interfering with the Launcher.
If you're still having the issue, select Glide as video mode, close the Launcher and try to run the game by using "Game.exe" present in your Diablo II folder. If MXL runs without problems then attempt a uninstall and a reinstallation of the latest version of the Launcher, if the original D2 starts up instead of the mod it means that MXL hasn't been installed correctly (either a security software blocking essential files or ISP preventing them from being downloaded in the first place), if you get a error and nothing runs even bypassing the Launcher then report the error.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca