Feedback from POV of total newbie

Discuss Median XL!
deothor
Imp
4 | 0
Disclaimers:

1. I am total Median XL newbie. Haven't got even to Hell difficulty (mostly due to taking game slow'ish) although I did check some guides and videos so I'm not totally clueless
2. I play solo (sometimes with my friend via hamachi)
3. I was huge D2 fan and played it far longer than I should have
4. I will focus on things I'd like devs to know that might need some changing - this is not "only negative criticism hurr durr for the sake of being negative"
5. By no means am I saying median XL is bad - it's playerbase is huge and that's the best indicator of success
6. I'll write things in points, cause it's simplier for me and for any unfortunate reader :)

---

1. One of my biggest gripes is, compared to D2, how weak and boring "rare" items are. In classic D2 rare items could spawn with plethora of different ability setups. Some of them were actually the best for the slot and in turn most expensive to get. In Median XL the best you can hope for is "+1-2 to all skills" - this sure is a big thing in general, but.. It's boring. There's 0 point of me picking any rare armor parts, because at best they'll be only slightly worse than cheapest runewords Median XL offers.

My suggestion: let rare items spawn with crazier ability combinations.
Let them give +2-3 to certain skill.
Let them spawn with several +skills
Give them some early-mid-end game purpose rather than filler untill one hits "minimum runeword level"

2. Also regarding "rare" items - too few of those have passive abilities like "doex X on attack/kill" in D2 those were the most fun things and some builds even used just that as their core.

My suggestion: let rare items spawn with more passive/trigger abilities - those are cool even if useless later in the game

3. Runewords are far too simplistic considering we can get the very best items for them and runes rain from sky. Make more runewords that require 4-5-6 runes (and please don't make them all the same, because that kinda removes the idea of runeWORD) - I know the overall stats will drop hard because players will have less space to put in jewels, but one of the coolest things D2 had was farming runes for perfect runeword items

My suggestion:
Rework all simplistic "3x the same rune" runewords into actual and proper runewords
Add long-chain runewords (so we could actually use the runes we get)
Maybe reintroduce auras and d2 classic spells for certain runewords
Or even reintroduce d2 runewords to Median XL - slightly changed to accomodate for different damage meta/abilities

4. Item locked to classes - this was always a thing in d2, but Median Xl kinda took it one step further and... I have no idea why tbh.
Why crystal sword became sorc thing?
Or certain crossbows or all scythes a necro thing?
Quite a few of swords/axes a barb thing?
Also why paladins get to have blackguard helmets? Those are 100% necro helmets btw :P

Thematically I could somewhat agree with it, but then Median XL doesn't really bother with theme all that much to begin with. Summoner barbarian or blood amazon...

My suggestion: Release those items to be free for all - let those items have class-specific skills so using them on correct class would have more benefits - this will work even better if My point 1. and 2. would be added ;)

5. This game, for most of time, revolves about uniques and arcane crystals. That's the main loop for untill you get to "sacred" tier weapons. Having almost endless supply of uniques by farming bosses or crafting your own things is great, but it also kills the point of actual farming, because if you need something you no longer farm the thing you need, but rather farm bosses that yeld the most trash-uniques and then craft whatever you want. From one side I really like this, but from other it just kills the fun of "looting". Tbh I have no suggestions nor solutions here. It's one of those flaws Median Xl has that I just have to bear with.

6. Crafting - ok this is a huge thing and I definitely don't know everything but there's just one thing I'd like to suggest here: how about we'd implement D2 original crafting with "orange" rarity items (mostly amulets/rings) where they are above "rare" tier and might even surpass "unique" items? Having some option to drain cluttering runes, gems and jewels would be nice to have.

7. Speaking of: Gems have no purpose beyond 1 or 2 minor uses in cube recipees and early game res-stacking - considering how many of those drop, it'd be nice if we had some sink for them. Maybe turning gems into jewels with cube recipee like gem + rune + "something" = jewel

8. "rare monsters" - Median XL made plenty of monster that have unique abilities. Some of them are "rare". The problem is, considering everything has some ability on their own "rare monsters" no longer feel all that unique. I'd suggest giving them 1 or maybe even 2 more abilities on hell difficulty. Same for unique-perm bosses like andariel - her having a meteor shower was.. surprising and deadly, but in higher difficulties she could do bit more than being a sponge.

9. Median XL locks hero subclasses from mixing - Thats where D2 was best at. It allowed you to mix all abilities together, even if the outcome would turn out kinda meh. Median XL on the other hand doesn't allow to do weird combinations. You can always truly follow 2 columns at most, which are slightly bigger than D2 original trees, but in the end player is still strongly limited. I doubt devs would allow for less ability locking, but that's my suggestion. Let us build were-bearmanwolftrap :( - also it'd be great if more (or all) abilities had synergies. It's a cool min-max feature.

10. Please update hero ability tooltips. Some of them give strong "wtf" vibe, like necro - "defenseless victims and tries to kill them to get corpses" or... assassin - "temporarily protect your well-being"

11. While checking some guides and tutorials and uber-runs I noticed one thing in common - inventories being 100% cluttered with charms or potions. Although I don't think introducing "infinite potions" would be good for the game, but having some sort of "charm stacker" would be more than great. I have no idea if thats possible, but if we could somehow transfer one perk from a charm to another and just stack plenty of perks on it, that'd be better than having whole inventory full.

Here's how it'd work: Create "main charm". Be it even 2x2 size. It's only 1 so it can be bigger. Limits for "main charm" are: can hold 1 torch, 3 large, 4 medium and 4 small charms inside, it also can hold some charms introduced by median XL. No charms will work for as long as "main charm" is in inventory (so noone would cheese more charms for extra damage)

Transfering charm effects onto the "main charm" would be via cube: random charm + "main charm" + some oil + rune (each next charm added increases runes level as a cost) = "main charm" with random charms stats.

In case of you wanting to swap a charm, say you already have 4 charms in but you found a much better one and wanna swap. You can uncraft the "main charm" so it drops all charms it "consumed" and then you can place new charms, but then again you'll still have to pay price in high tier runes

OR.. Ignore all what I said about "main charm" and instead let us "consume" charms for their effects
SpamBomb
Monkey King
257 | 7
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
If you want something more like clod then play clod? Median xl is a FULL conversion mod hence why everything is different then clod is...
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
You just scratched the surface, median is all about the extensive endgame. Almost all of those things you said are not true, or irrelevant.

1, Rares can be good, but tiered uniques mostly surpass them, sure. See 5 and 6.
2, There is plenty of that, check here https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/wiki/affixes
3, Whats the point of that? In clod you had to hunt for bases, and runes were actually rare, here you can just reroll the items as much as you want to have the "required" sockets, and as you said, runes are raining.
4, What?
5, Getting to hell is just a tutorial, its just a very tiny portion of total playtime, why would you want to make it take longer by havint to actually farm for items?
6, Shrine crafting. Usually there are a few item slots in most builds that use shrine crafted items, simply because they are above rare tier, and are better than uniques, or are much more accessible than uniques.
7, Simply wrong, gems have many uses. Getting more max res from gems for certain uber levels, or stacking gems for paragon (amazon uberskill).
8, Normal areas are not supposed to be difficult. Wait until you get in uber levels.
9, Some skills have restrictions, because using them with other skills would be too strong, you gotta understand that.
10, I dont know what you are talking about, tooltips are very clear.
11, If you have all charms, they take up around 1/3 of the already huge inventory, i dont see why that is a problem.

But honestly i have no idea why you are ranting about things that are relevant only when you reach hell (specifically after you start doing ubers).
Edited by Istaryu 4 years.
acekard
Acid Prince
49 | 4
game only starts after you finish hell. anything till then is just a tutorial.
Cheno
Heretic
434 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
This was a weird mix of "I want median xl to be like clod" and "i don't know what I'm talking about cause I haven't made it past the tutorial". Honestly not a whole lot of redeemable suggestions.
deothor
Imp
4 | 0
Istaryu wrote:You just scratched the surface, median is all about the extensive endgame. Almost all of those things you said are not true, or irrelevant.

1, Rares can be good, but tiered uniques mostly surpass them, sure. See 5 and 6.
2, There is plenty of that, check here https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/wiki/affixes
3, Whats the point of that? In clod you had to hunt for bases, and runes were actually rare, here you can just reroll the items as much as you want to have the "required" sockets, and as you said, runes are raining.
4, What?
5, Getting to hell is just a tutorial, its just a very tiny portion of total playtime, why would you want to make it take longer by havint to actually farm for items?
6, Shrine crafting. Usually there are a few item slots in most builds that use shrine crafted items, simply because they are above rare tier, and are better than uniques, or are much more accessible than uniques.
7, Simply wrong, gems have many uses. Getting more max res from gems for certain uber levels, or stacking gems for paragon (amazon uberskill).
8, Normal areas are not supposed to be difficult. Wait until you get in uber levels.
9, Some skills have restrictions, because using them with other skills would be too strong, you gotta understand that.
10, I dont know what you are talking about, tooltips are very clear.
11, If you have all charms, they take up around 1/3 of the already huge inventory, i dont see why that is a problem.

But honestly i have no idea why you are ranting about things that are relevant only when you reach hell (specifically after you start doing ubers).

I think after reading my thread you started thinking "how can i disagree with everything he said". It's kind of funny considering how hard you worked to make sure you are 100% opposite to what I wrote ;)

And OFCOURSE you had to throw in "ranting" just to downgrade my feedback further. Really low of you.

Cheno wrote:This was a weird mix of "I want median xl to be like clod" and "i don't know what I'm talking about cause I haven't made it past the tutorial". Honestly not a whole lot of redeemable suggestions.

Not everyone is sitting knee's deep into d2 modding. Median XL is the first d2 mod I ever played. I'll definitely check what clod is.
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Sorry mate, most of these suggestions is just pls make MXL into D2 hurr durr.

1. Seeing as you haven't gotten to hell yet, you probably haven;t become acquainted with Sacred items, crafting, etc. Rares are not, and never will be, good on their own. Sacred rares are used for crafting mid game gear in early Hell.

2. Plenty of sacred uniques come with procs, again I think this is just because you are fixated on rares as being a high tier item, which they aren't. RWs and Tiered uniques as a general rule are going to be more ideal for early game. Rares are chump change for A1 chars before finding runes.

3. Runewords are MEANT to be accessible. Jewels and crafting are a big part of constructing the items, this suggestion just sounds like D2 nostalgia.

4. Crystal swords are open to all classes. Warp Blades are a Sorc only item and the reason is because it fits the lore of the melee Sorc. Scythes aren't base items in the game at all. Your arguments about not being on theme are just plain wrong, MXL actually give quite a bit of homage to the true D2 lore.

5. Again since you aren't in Hell yet, you shouldn't be worried about "farming". Farming TUs is not a thing. Only to get the gear you need, then proceed to Hell with speed. Focusing on farming in early game is just a waste of time. The whole revolution of MXL is the highly extended end game.

6. This might be a good thing, being able to craft rings and ammies is something that might be implementable.

7. Gems are used for resists, the Zon benefits from gems via here Paragon passive. Most players use a loot filter so they don't even see gems after Nightmare.

8. Trash mobs on higher difficulties shouldn't feel unique. We have an endgame for that.

9. Sounds like more D2 nostalgia. Skill trees are different in different mods. The amount of skill points you can get would make this idea needlessly overpowering.

10. Tooltips could use some updating agreed.

11. not quit sure what you are trying to accomplish with this idea. It is much easier to just carry charms in your inventory and be done with it. I don;t know which vids you were watching, but players doing Labyrinth and such stash alot of potions so that the have enough to go full clear. Any map with a lockout timer requires that you stash potions.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
deothor wrote:I think after reading my thread you started thinking "how can i disagree with everything he said". It's kind of funny considering how hard you worked to make sure you are 100% opposite to what I wrote ;)

At least i gave you a feedback on your feedback, and didnt just barf "you are wrong" here.
deothor
Imp
4 | 0
Aight, thanks for info @notforkeeps

Nostalgia is in fact big thing for me, cause it made me play d2 again after how-many-years but this time with lil change. I'll get to Hell and beyond and see what's there and if Median Xl is the thing that scratches my D2 itch.

Btw, where can I find any info about "clod" mod for Daiblo 2? I heard few of people in this thread said i'm trying to bend median to the shape of clod and I just dunno what that is or where can i read about it :P

Istaryu wrote:snip

Nice douchebaggery here. Are you always this funny, or only when your mom doesn't look your way?
Glamdring26
Core Lord
352 | 33
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Why are you trying to give feedback if you are "clueless". Sure, newcomer experience is an importing thing but you not doing any research about anything whatsoever and then claiming "devs should change this", "this was better in vanilla d2" does not make any sense. You should do your research, learn more about the game, and then open a thread and say "Okay i started recently, i learned a lot, but this this and this issues really made me dont like the game when i was just starting the game".

Your feedback currently does not mean much since most of them i just plain wrong. You cant learn median xl just by playing for a couple of weeks. Go to docs, learn, and then open this thread after confirming your issues.

P.S: clod means vanilla diablo 2.