Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Anonymous: wrote:Sounds like PoE with extra steps.

I won't deny that, seeing as the labyrinth itself is more or less an imitation of PoE ideas too. I think MXL could stand to learn a thing or two from PoE, even though I personally don't enjoy everything about PoE.

The ideas only work based on the premise that we move on from the idea that endgame should be reserved for "elite" players, and instead is just steadily upward scaling more difficult interesting engaging content. Meaning to say, the extension of the story should be accessible to the majority of experienced players. The devs clearly are leaning towards expanding the "lore" of the Labyrinth, and all of the new monsters therein, even Samael is part of this.

This isn't to the exclusion of creating "elite" content, I just think it should be separate from the continuation of the story.
RandomOnions
Sand Maggot
1148 | 50
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
excelent idea, fix the current labyrinth as "balanced food good players" is actually dogshit let's be honest and should never be the case. Is 1% of the playerbase completing the uber? Probably not. In theory it's fine but whatever excuse you have for the outcome isn't going to cut it. I do support keeps idea 100% and I think it would be a great addition.
Stereox
Cog
247 | 4
Great idea, with this new uber lab. The regular lab could see a toned down difficulty so it can be actually runnable for non-meta builds and be farmed
Marrt
Djinn
513 | 74
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
The current labyrinths are basically - "collect riftstones, replay level with more modifiers". My problem with this suggested "new" content is that although the idea is thoroughly developed and explained, it can still be summarized by "collect more riftstones, play the levels with more modifiers". We already have this and it feels redundant to add more of the same. Why not focus on other ideas instead?

The game needs a hard challenge for experienced players. Otherwise, the game gets pretty old pretty quickly. So yes, an area like the dimensional labyrinth should exist and should be hard. The bosses should be hard, too. What I am trying to say is - git gud. It shouldn't be made easier so that it is more accessible by people. Rather, people should get better and learn to do more of the hard content. I mean, if people have decided to farm all day and not learn to do the bosses and get better, why should they have access to the content?

Don't get me wrong. As I already said, the labyrinths need rework. The only rewards are the dimensional key and the UMOs that are being dropped. And ofc the crazy rare fragments from mini bosses... We should get more rewards from these bosses. They have crazy amount of hp and rarely drop any good items. Fragment drops with 5% chance do not encourage you to kill them, unless you are bear druid and can crush them in 10 seconds. Coming to the next point - it should be made accessible to more builds, it should be made more balanced, BUT that does NOT mean it should be made EASIER.

So yes, I don't think adding more riftstones and more modifiers is the way to go. Rather, increase drop chances and make it more balanced and accessible to more builds. That way, people will actually be able to do something in the lower rifts. Whoever wants to go higher - go get better equipment.
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ILoseControl wrote:The current labyrinths are basically - "collect riftstones, replay level with more modifiers". My problem with this suggested "new" content is that although the idea is thoroughly developed and explained, it can still be summarized by "collect more riftstones, play the levels with more modifiers". We already have this and it feels redundant to add more of the same. Why not focus on other ideas instead?

I'm not sure about anything regarding engine limitations and whatnot, but more "different" mods is alot of what I've taken away from the topic and could be some very interesting design space. Something to break the idea of min/maxing every little thing just to push a few higher tiers, that it's just a numbers game. Mods that would require more gameplay decisions rather than gearing decisions could be cool. Nfk said a few things along the lines of respawning monsters, chronofield totems, things along the like.

I wouldn't argue for the replacement of labs in their current iteration, but regular labs dropping "unique" labs with mods like that could be some interesting design space.
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
ILoseControl wrote:
The game needs a hard challenge for experienced players. Otherwise, the game gets pretty old pretty quickly. So yes, an area like the dimensional labyrinth should exist and should be hard. The bosses should be hard, too. What I am trying to say is - git gud. It shouldn't be made easier so that it is more accessible by people. Rather, people should get better and learn to do more of the hard content. I mean, if people have decided to farm all day and not learn to do the bosses and get better, why should they have access to the content?

Don't get me wrong. As I already said, the labyrinths need rework. The only rewards are the dimensional key and the UMOs that are being dropped. And ofc the crazy rare fragments from mini bosses... We should get more rewards from these bosses. They have crazy amount of hp and rarely drop any good items. Fragment drops with 5% chance do not encourage you to kill them, unless you are bear druid and can crush them in 10 seconds. Coming to the next point - it should be made accessible to more builds, it should be made more balanced, BUT that does NOT mean it should be made EASIER.

So yes, I don't think adding more riftstones and more modifiers is the way to go. Rather, increase drop chances and make it more balanced and accessible to more builds. That way, people will actually be able to do something in the lower rifts. Whoever wants to go higher - go get better equipment.

In my mind rebalancing = making it more accessible, certainly it should be a challenge, with a rewarding factor. Better equipment does not equal being able o do higher labs, their is only so much maxing you can do realistically. That is why most people do not even bother with labs, since they cannot realistically progress in them.

In my idea, you are not forced to do a higher tier in order to progress, you can farm Greater Rifts (OOF) endlessly, and only do them if you are up the challenge a given set of modifiers presents. The "elite content" portion is covered by the Unique Riftstones, and what they can reward you with (which I haven't actually elaborated on yet) is meant to really intrigue people and make them want to do the far more challenging content.
Marrt
Djinn
513 | 74
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
Maybe I had a different view of your proposal. It would actually be a good rework to the current version of the labyrinth, if we cut a lot of the currently available tiers. I am totally up to that, as I mentioned in my first post. In that case, to clarify what I meant by your suggestion being very similar to the current labs: if we limit the tiers to, let's say 5, then your upgraded versions will, so to say, replace the current t16-t10 and t11-t15, just by introducing different kinds of monsters, skills, mechanics.

So in the end, what we get is, so to say, no new levels, but actually more diverse content. I imagined your version of the lab to just be added on top of everything, but I think it should actually be the total rework of the whole uber area, by adding more interesting stuff and limiting redundancy to 0.

In that case, I have several suggestions to make too. The different difficulties of the boss can be reworked so that they depend on whether you're entering his area from the regular tiers or some upgraded/unique tiers or whatever. For example, the boss after the regular tiers can be made so that it does less damage, has lower health, requires less resistances, etc, while harder versions will still require you to get a lot of equipment. This way you'll also give more people the access to the easier versions of the boss.

CallMeCrazySam wrote:
ILoseControl wrote:Mods that would require more gameplay decisions rather than gearing decisions could be cool."

I do agree with this and I want to comment on the current gameplay mechanics. In other games where gearing is not involved that much, take for instance Dark Souls, we can see that avoiding damage is essential to surviving. We clearly have examples for this here too. Atanna Khan requires you to dodge everything, otherwise you die. Kabraxis with the balefire and flamestrike. Uldyssian with his ghosts or whatever, and the massive deathstrike that gives you an indication of about 3 seconds, but if you don't move, it fucks you up. This, in my opinion, is how median should feel like - getting as much damage in, while also avoiding AVOIDABLE attacks.

Now let's take a look at the mini bosses in the labyrinth. Barbarian, assassin, necromancer, amazon and gharbad are trash. The barbarian will kill you if he damages you, but how do you actually kill him if you don't have 100k hp? Assassin shoots some missiles that are fast moving and you're just damaging her and back away if you actually start getting damage. Gharbad spawns shit on the floor that sometimes hits you, sometimes not, and otherwise throws missiles that are hard to dodge too. Necromancer is too easy to be a factor. Amazon involves some avoiding, but is RNG fest. Why does the abyss totem have laz in there? No idea, just for artificial difficulty. These bosses should definitely get a rework, as they are just boring and don't require you to pay attention.

Phoboss, navigator and the anomaly are the only examples for good work, in my opinion, and are exactly what I described earlier. They are very dangerous and require skills from you. What we need, however, is for them to have an indication on the map. What do we achieve by not having these markers on the map? Angry players, artificial difficulty and RNG fest. Not a good design, in my opinion. Those should be limited to 0.

Next point - I like the idea to break the linearity of the area. If we have higher drop chances even in the normal 5 stages, people will actually want to farm it - this is what we want. If you have acceptable rewards in these areas, this including unique riftstones and, for example, glyphs that drop from the mini bosses that enable you to access harder versions of the same areas, then people will be able to farm these and sell these for tg to skilled/more geared people, if they themselves can't yet run this content. In the current version of the labyrinths you are punished if you're not lucky and do not get the red riftstones. You fall out of the red bracket and you go back to the orange one. And let me tell you, if you have good killspeed on the red ones, the orange ones are cakewalk and require no attention whatsoever, literally just luck. I think we literally do not want that, so breaking this linearity is much welcome here.

New mechanics, monsters and skills is what actually needs to be thought of, and is also the hardest part, but I think it surely can be made to work good and be interesting, so it should definitely be considered by the devs.
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
ILoseControl wrote:Maybe I had a different view of your proposal. It would actually be a good rework to the current version of the labyrinth, if we cut a lot of the currently available tiers. I am totally up to that, as I mentioned in my first post. In that case, to clarify what I meant by your suggestion being very similar to the current labs: if we limit the tiers to, let's say 5, then your upgraded versions will, so to say, replace the current t16-t10 and t11-t15, just by introducing different kinds of monsters, skills, mechanics.

So in the end, what we get is, so to say, no new levels, but actually more diverse content. I imagined your version of the lab to just be added on top of everything, but I think it should actually be the total rework of the whole uber area, by adding more interesting stuff and limiting redundancy to 0.

In that case, I have several suggestions to make too. The different difficulties of the boss can be reworked so that they depend on whether you're entering his area from the regular tiers or some upgraded/unique tiers or whatever. For example, the boss after the regular tiers can be made so that it does less damage, has lower health, requires less resistances, etc, while harder versions will still require you to get a lot of equipment. This way you'll also give more people the access to the easier versions of the boss.

In my idea I stated at the beginning that this would, in the interest of progressing the story, replace the Labs as is. Labs would become a single map designed for farming "Greater Riftstones" and getting the Riftglobe, with a lower density/less challenging monsters.

If a player does not want to try and take on x4 Glyph rifts, he can use those Glyphs as trading currency for player who do. The balancing act would be to make the higher Glyphed rifts rewarding enough to make people want to do them.

Greater rifts (and yes I hate using that D3 word) would replace Labs as the endgame farming area, with perhaps more balanced "bosses", better drops, etc.
This will not be a "elite" player area, that will be covered by the Unique Riftstones and beyond. They won't be easy, and will require skill in that the modifiers will present different challenges depending on the combination thereof.

Unique Riftstones will be far more challenging, and will reward the player not only with better drops if you apply Glyphs to them, but the items the bosses drop will open up a brand new concept (to be elaborated later).