What happened to Sigma?

Discuss Median XL!
kamird
Acid Prince
48 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I've been away from d2 and mxl for a year or so(not sure how long to be honest), and i'm curious about Sigma, cause i remember looking forward to it, but i can't see even a mention of it in the Forums anymore? Can someone explain what happened? Did it fail so hard that the mere mention of it is now considered a Taboo? Or was it something else?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Huh?

kamird
Acid Prince
48 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
yeah i noticed that when i googled for sigma
I remember there was a talk that Sigma would be it's own thing though

also something seems off with colors, like it's on 16bit color palette instead of the old one.... Glide settings?(it also messes up the desktop colors as well like it up's the brightness pretty hard for everything on the desktop[E: apparently ingame brightness/contrast settings were affecting everything, not just the game])
Edited by kamird 4 years.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
You thought a mod would be a stand alone game?
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I sincerely doubt there was any serious talk about sigma being a standalone game. The second that happens, if it ever would, ignoring how absurd it would be for a small team to recreate assets and the entire game, is how you get a cease and desist from Blizzard.

I'd wager the only reason D2 modding is still alive is that it helps drive D2 sales. The second that stops, then poof.
kamird
Acid Prince
48 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Pub wrote:You thought a mod would be a stand alone game?

please read lol, i've played median before, let alone d2. I guess you're one of the peeps who's looking for conflict. Well bad news for you, i don't involve myself with petty people like that. Find someone who's willing to take up a pointless keyboard fight with you, because i'm not dealing with you boy.
kamird
Acid Prince
48 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
CallMeCrazySam wrote:I sincerely doubt there was any serious talk about sigma being a standalone game. The second that happens, if it ever would, ignoring how absurd it would be for a small team to recreate assets and the entire game, is how you get a cease and desist from Blizzard.

I'd wager the only reason D2 modding is still alive is that it helps drive D2 sales. The second that stops, then poof.

There was a talk like that, i remember Marco saying something about Median having some issues or something which is why he wanted Sigma to be it's own thing. Something around those lines anyway, been a while.
The reason why D2 modding is still alive is actually a lot simpler than you think, D2 is a very good game, people love it, still play it, thus mods are gonna be made. Idk if that's gonna be the case if Blizzard does to D2 the same thing they did with warcraft 3 reforged.
Pub
Core Lord
397 | 42
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
kamird wrote:
Pub wrote:You thought a mod would be a stand alone game?

please read lol, i've played median before, let alone d2. I guess you're one of the peeps who's looking for conflict. Well bad news for you, i don't involve myself with petty people like that. Find someone who's willing to take up a pointless keyboard fight with you, because i'm not dealing with you boy.

Not at all. But based on your last post, you might have taken Marcos expression of "making sigma its own thing" too literally. Im just trying to understand your thought process and help clear things up, nothing else.
redicomerade
Abomination
140 | 10
Common Popularity Badge
I think hes point is that long ago sigma was supoosed to be complete new mod, all new skills, quest, and else, and now you see thats just improved mxl. I know many many things changes but maybe its his point??
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Pub wrote:There was a talk like that, i remember Marco saying something about Median having some issues or something which is why he wanted Sigma to be it's own thing. Something around those lines anyway, been a while.
The reason why D2 modding is still alive is actually a lot simpler than you think, D2 is a very good game, people love it, still play it, thus mods are gonna be made. Idk if that's gonna be the case if Blizzard does to D2 the same thing they did with warcraft 3 reforged.

He never said it would be it's own thing, aka standalone, but he said it would be it's own engine, which it is. They created a new engine for it.