Griswold Bugged Damage?

Discuss Median XL!
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
85 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Hi everyone... I am a veteran Diablo and Median player (but new to these Forums).

Just wanted to comment about a Hardcore death that recently occurred, I'd like to see what everyone else thinks of it.

Character :

Spear Amazon
Level : 60 something
Area : Act 1 Nightmare, Tristram
HP : Around 2100
FHR : Around 80 to 100
Resistances : 75 to 77 across the board
Gear : Some uniques, a few Runewords etc.

So what happened was, I was clearing out Tristram and had done so except for a small group of monsters at the bottom left-hand (western) side of the map.

Griswold was advancing down the western outskirts of the map and had just made it to the bottom western corner of the leftmost burning building in the town. My character was way far away from him, in the extreme southwest corner of the map. She was busily using a combination of Takedown and Hyena Strike to kill off a few monsters in the area. Meanwhile, my Fire Elementals (probably about 8 of them) as well as my Act 1 Merc were engaging Griswold, who was surrounded by the Fire Elementals and who had stopped at the bottom left corner of the building.

All of a sudden I see him launching his Shower of Rocks attack, and the damn thing fell right on MY head! (It did not affect either the Merc nor the Fire Elementals, even though they were MUCH closer to Griswold than my Spearazon was.)

I instantly hit a Full Rejuve and then a Super Healing potion but before I could do anything else I was dead. This all happened (literally) in a half-second, or less.

I am at a total loss to explain how this happened. I do not think it was desync because I could see the monsters that I was fighting, being picked off one by one. The game was also not laggy at the time.

This is a pretty stupid situation if you ask me. Median still has FAR too many "one-hit kills" and in this case my character was as well-prepared and -geared as any character of her type could reasonably be, and she gets one-shotted by a monster that I have fought successfully many, many times before.

Has this happened to any of you? How do you prepare for it... or do you just shrug, say "that's Median for you" and start rebuilding dead characters?

I don't like games that defeat me no matter HOW well I play.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
he is a one of the strongest opponents you get to fight in act 1 Nightmare . what did you expect to do at 2k hp ? tank shower of rocks ?
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
85 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
ChuckNoRis wrote:he is a one of the strongest opponents you get to fight in act 1 Nightmare . what did you expect to do at 2k hp ? tank shower of rocks ?

No -- I didn't expect to get hit by SoR in the first place. Like I said, Griswold was a long way away from my character and he had at least 9 (may have been more) targets to attack, that were much closer to him. I do not understand how the targeting of this attack works. What is its range, anyway? Like if you are on the other side of the map is he allowed to drop it on your head?
kissofaries
Daystar
674 | 8
its range is not huge, probably 4 yard or so, but if you are melee, don't even use summon vs griswold
Just get in and great hunt you, if he hits you (got amplify damage or lose hp) then gtfo fast, then go back adn stap him
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
85 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
kissofaries wrote:its range is not huge, probably 4 yard or so, but if you are melee, don't even use summon vs griswold
Just get in and great hunt you, if he hits you (got amplify damage or lose hp) then gtfo fast, then go back adn stap him

Thanks for the advice... but I'm confused as to why you say not to use summons? For example as an experiment today (testing fate yes I know :-] ) I went down to (Nightmare) Tristram with my Level 84 Bow Druid and his Acid Fiends ate Griswold in about 4 seconds; he did SoR them (dangerously close to my Druid, maybe 2 character widths from him) but they all stayed alive. Is it maybe that he is more likely to use SoR if you have summons or something like that?

Keep in mind, I mostly play Hardcore, so I'm not keen on taking chances with melee'ing dangerous monsters if I can possibly avoid it.

Cheers
nodoubt0322
Rust Claw
89 | 10
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Welcome to the hardcore world. A death gives you a lesson. I always skip this guy if I am melee. Or merc does all jobs for me.
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Griswold has a chance to cast amplify damage on attack, which is -25 phys res. Shower of rocks lowers attack rating, attack speed and movement speed. Big hits of damage = hit recovery. All of these things combined make him pretty dangerous.

Here is a video of Gris outside of melee range, still attacking. I don't think hes supposed to have this much range while attacking without a weapon. Anyway, if he targeted a summon (even once) out of traditional melee range that was closer to you than his current location and triggered shower of rocks, it would have been cast at the target's location (not Griswold's) and what might have originally been a safe distance is not so much with the large AoE shower of rocks has.

ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Mr_Bill wrote:Keep in mind, I mostly play Hardcore, so I'm not keen on taking chances with melee'ing dangerous monsters if I can possibly avoid it.
I strongly advice that you first play in softcore before attempting hardcore, so that you may avoid such unpleasant issues.

Make an idea first about where or how to dodge attacks in dangerous spots/ avoid fighting when it is not mandatory, especially if you are melee and got crap hp /low defensive stats

Killing Griswold does not have major benefits compared to the great danger your are putting your character to risk. Not even the Smith . You can just pick up the hammer and gtfo.
Temptaz
Gravedigger
197 | 2
Mr_Bill wrote:do you just shrug, say "that's Median for you" and start rebuilding dead characters?

Yeah pretty much. I rip two 100+ HC toons just this week its all about getting back on the horse.
Krusha
Destroyer
7 | 0
play softcore

you think that's bad, wait until you reach the endgame content :coolstorybob: