New player, new experience, first suggestions

Discuss Median XL!
lightingsorc
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hello,
I got myself into playing D2 lately, and trayed medianl xl 1 hour ago.
1) First of all, appreciation :
The graphics, the gigantic stash and the muted music in town (being able to hear that ambient music), hit me hard, i could not believe something so beautiful has been made. Whoever made medianl XL thanks.
2) Few things striked me for this first hour of playing :
- After leveling lvl 1, you feel invincible with infinite life and mana, i just killed Blood raven with 4-5 magic hits.
- Suggestion 1 : While at vendor shop, why can't i see the the price value of items that i have equipped? I like to compare the items i have with the items in my inventory by looking at the prices values.
- Suggestion 2 : moving potions into the the belt.. is not smooth, in the original game you can put a potion above half the boundaries of a free belt spot and the potion will put in, but in Median XL, you have to put it exactly inside the boundaries of the free spots on the belt in order to see the potion be insered on the belt. I think this can improved.

Last, many things i don't understand (like the orange text on skills) but it does not bother me. I am pretty sure i will find about them during the game.
coennek
Thunder Beetle
52 | 2
if you hold ( i think, it has become intuitive) shift while clicking a potion, it is put in your belt. even easier ;)
in median buying and selling items at the vendor other than mystic orbs and potions is rather obsolete. make yourself familiar with the cube recipe section in the documentation to get a glimpse of what you can look forward to.

edit: yes its shift. i checked :D
lightingsorc
Skeleton
2 | 0
I understand now nobody bothers with this "lack of smoothness" in potion moving, the shift click did the trick. Great to know

As for selling, yeah i saw that many items cost 1 gold, and then sometimes you get boots for 106 golds okay, however, the vendor thing has another purpose.. comparing items prices to know their value. It helps not thinking much while cleaning your inventory, the idea is to hover the mouse over all your items + those equipped, if you see anything close to the price of your already equipped items or higher then consider using the item otherwise sell or throw.

Right now i found myself removing equiped items to check their prices.

Anyhow i am pretty sure i still have lot to learn. Thanks for the welcome
coennek
Thunder Beetle
52 | 2
another reason why vendors are obsolete is that they only sell tier 1 items. but somewhere around act2/3/4 not sure, you will see items tier 2 drop (and so on). also the value of an item doesnt really tell you much about its power. usually once you are in act 5 hatred you have mainly unique items (and runewords) and will continue upgrading them until you have the ressources to start crafting.
until then i stick to: blue item is better than no item -> yellow is usually better than blue -> if you find a unique see if it fits your build, at least temporarily.
some concepts which are very worth of getting to know them in the beginning are:
- runewords ( there are very strong low level runewords)
- honorific items (once you get to act 5 for the first time)
- disenchanting uniques into arcane shards combining into arcane crystals. use those to create any tiered unique item you want or upgrade an existing one to the next tier (keep an eye on level requirement)

may i ask what build you are trying?
Edited by coennek 4 years.
sincrowly
Core Lord
366 | 14
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
coennek wrote:another reason why vendors are obsolete is that they only sell tier 1 items. but somewhere around act2/3/4 not sure, you will see items tier 2 drop (and so on). also the value of an item doesnt really tell you much about its power. usually once you are in act 5 hatred you have mainly unique items (and runewords) and will continue upgrading them until you have the ressources to start crafting.
until then i stick to: blue item is better than no item -> yellow is usually better than blue -> if you find a unique see if it finds your build, at least temporarily.
some concepts which are very worth of getting to know them in the beginning are:
- disenchanting uniques into arcane shards combining into arcane crystals. use those to create any tiered unique item you want or upgrade an existing one to the next tier (keep an eye on level requirement)

You deserve a cookie sir.
Marrt
Djinn
513 | 74
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
coennek wrote:another reason why vendors are obsolete is that they only sell tier 1 items. but somewhere around act2/3/4 not sure, you will see items tier 2 drop (and so on). also the value of an item doesnt really tell you much about its power. usually once you are in act 5 hatred you have mainly unique items (and runewords) and will continue upgrading them until you have the ressources to start crafting.
until then i stick to: blue item is better than no item -> yellow is usually better than blue -> if you find a unique see if it fits your build, at least temporarily.

I think you need to be minimum the level of the item you want to buy. That's why you find higher tiers in the higher acts. I have also noticed I couldn't find certain bases when I was low level. Bases like ceremonial armor require higher level, so if you want to get a tiered unique with this base and you're low level, you'll need to find the base yourself (not on vendor).
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1293 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
ILoseControl wrote:

I think you need to be minimum the level of the item you want to buy. That's why you find higher tiers in the higher acts. I have also noticed I couldn't find certain bases when I was low level. Bases like ceremonial armor require higher level, so if you want to get a tiered unique with this base and you're low level, you'll need to find the base yourself (not on vendor).

I guess he meant usual trade, not gamble. Usual trade is always t1 items and for gamble ye - the higher clvl the higher qlvl of items that may spawn.