Throw Barb 2017?

Discuss Median XL!
Shade
|
Testing the 66 pts in Spirits build, it was a bit disappointing tbh.

1. It only seemed to add 1-2k to damage - max went from 12k to 14k (my stuff's still not great).
    2. The summons were squishy even when maxed (I guess they need minion life and resists like in a true summoner build).
    3. They don't seem to follow you like normal summons unless they see something to attack, otherwise you have to teleport to bring them with you... but the SW skill targets an enemy - not exactly Plan A for a thrower! And there has to actually be an enemy there for you to target - they seem to de-summon if you have to run across open areas with no enemies?
So I think I'll switch back to using just Shamanic Trance from the Spirit Tree (which gets a chunk of the damage boost from Spirit Tree anyway) and maxing daedalus. Unless I'm missing something about these summons - is there another way to get them to do sensible things?
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
You must be doing something wrong. Look at your EWD stat in d2stats. You gain 2000% wepon damage when casting shamanic trance. Pretty sure it is more than you have from strength/weapon bonus and whatever stance/spirit guide you have combined.
Spirit tree is highest damage per base level invested of all barb skills.
You get more from it if you push shamanic trance higher, with ancients blood, laz charm upgrade, realm only amulet, whatever +max skills. At 34% per base level damage from shamanic trance, you only need 60 points in the tree to reach that cap.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
aerial wrote:2k ewd shamanic trance cap

can you pls explain how this cap works, where you got this info, and if its a cap just for skill investment or overall ewd cap for everything and if it is added with weaopon ed from str or if its seperate
Shade
|
@aerial. Yes you're right that EWD does show the high % in d2stats. I think the problem might be just that I'm still using a Griefbringer so the damage that shows up in the char screen doesn't seem to go up as much as I was expecting from +2000%.

Crafting an axe like the ones in the images you posted seems really hard. I'm burning through a lot of shrines trying to get spikenova + maxdam + some %ED.

So I'm wondering when you decided the shrine craft was worth blessing - did it already have all of the proc, %ED, +max damage on it, or did you take a chance and get some of those key stats at the blessing stage? Chances of spikenova don't seem good, not at 1 arc crystal a pop!

For the dex crafts on the armour items - should they be blessed when I get a roll with +10% dex or is there more to it?

From reading the rest of the thread it seems the highest damage is snake stance + Stampede + a lot of points in the spirit tree (as long as you have max block to offset losing daedalus)?

EDIT: btw how much stance radius should we aim for? Wondering how many hard points to invest in Spirit Walk. 1 pt gives me 22 yards atm with +skills.
Edited by Shade 6 years.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
void wrote:
aerial wrote:2k ewd shamanic trance cap

can you pls explain how this cap works, where you got this info, and if its a cap just for skill investment or overall ewd cap for everything and if it is added with weaopon ed from str or if its seperate

If you run d2stats and watch EWD bonus.
Adding hard points into shamanic trance, increases +x% weapon damage to barb, per point into spirit tree (Including those points into shamanic trance).
You must recast shamanic trance to see the difference.
You can add points either increase max level of shamanic, to get for example 35% ewd per point into tree, and then you need less points into tree overall.
Keep adding points, and you notice that after 2047%, it stops adding more damage in d2 stats (and in d2, your damage of whatever weapon skill you have in lcs, doesn't change).
So depending on your max skill level (and thus level of shamanic trance), you may need 65 points into tree, or like I do with laz upgrade and realm only amulet with +skills, need for example roughly 60 points to hit that cap. more points is useless, unless you are summoner, and you are just needing these points to buff your summons.
But for any barb basically, that can drop daedalus, putting points into shamanic trance and the tree is very good, you gain spirit walk with 0 cooldown on top of it, which is useful in duncraig. 30-35% damage per hard point into tree is way better than point in any stance, including lion, and has no downside. Well maybe aside from being point sink, because you will get more damage out of 1pt lion vs 1pt shamanic trance obviously.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Shade wrote:@aerial. Yes you're right that EWD does show the high % in d2stats. I think the problem might be just that I'm still using a Griefbringer so the damage that shows up in the char screen doesn't seem to go up as much as I was expecting from +2000%.

Crafting an axe like the ones in the images you posted seems really hard. I'm burning through a lot of shrines trying to get spikenova + maxdam + some %ED.

So I'm wondering when you decided the shrine craft was worth blessing - did it already have all of the proc, %ED, +max damage on it, or did you take a chance and get some of those key stats at the blessing stage? Chances of spikenova don't seem good, not at 1 arc crystal a pop!

For the dex crafts on the armour items - should they be blessed when I get a roll with +10% dex or is there more to it?

From reading the rest of the thread it seems the highest damage is snake stance + Stampede + a lot of points in the spirit tree (as long as you have max block to offset losing daedalus)?

EDIT: btw how much stance radius should we aim for? Wondering how many hard points to invest in Spirit Walk. 1 pt gives me 22 yards atm with +skills.

You get 10 chances for your craft per shrine. Spike nova, Max damage, things like that are random spawnable affixes from the weapon. Shrine blessing will never give those affixes, only the affixes of that type of shrine, meaning, you won't get spike nova from the shrine blessing. That rolls on the weapon itself.

Stance radius is only needed if you're playing in a party to buff the others or for minions and such.
Shade
|
^ Thanks L H.
I can't get to the online channel you mentioned in the totemancer thread to see possible affixes, TSW didn't work for me and SP is fine anyway since I often stay in hotels for work and their wifi isn't always all it should be.

I've burned a lot of shrines and never got the proc/maxdmg/ED combination (or even the first two). Maybe just unlucky? (still not got the K3KBA charm either after about 150 kills).

Good to know about stance radius. I was thinking it meant that if your axe hit something outside your stance radius then the stance bonus wouldn't apply. Glad it's not that. Thanks to you and aerial for your help with these builds.
Serge91
Thunder Beetle
52 | 0
I crafted this axe. Wonder if it is any good since i couldn't roll any procs.. I used wierd shrine and then blessed it with abandoned (not a great add tbh)
Carrion Slayer
Balanced Axe (Sacred)
'JahJahJahJahJahJah'
Throw Damage: 219 to 472
One-Hand Damage: 145 to 351
Required Strength: 518
Required Level: 118
Axe Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Current Strength Damage Bonus: 233%
Orb Effects Applied to this Item are Doubled
+290% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1-168 Damage
137% Bonus to Attack Rating
8% Life stolen per Hit
20% Deadly Strike
Enhanced Weapon Damage +40%
5% Bonus to Dexterity
+37 to Dexterity
Target Takes Additional Damage of 39
+28 Required Level
Socketed (6)

Then i added a life leech and 20%ds. I added also a EWD orb but probably i've done a wrong thing. Right now i have 1964%ewd using trance, withouth having invested neither 50 points... this thanks to Akarat's Trek boots, which probably i should replace.
I still need to reach 2250 dex and boost strenght. Need to craft a double abandoned gloves i suppose then.

Im playing with snake stance but it seems to me that im really slow. I have played with wolf stance, so im used to that speed.
robinro
Azure Drake
162 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
the flat dmg roll is nice but the rest is kind of meh. you should go for a proc + flat dmg. everything else is a nice bonus but proc + dmg has priority imo
Serge91
Thunder Beetle
52 | 0
robinro wrote:the flat dmg roll is nice but the rest is kind of meh. you should go for a proc + flat dmg. everything else is a nice bonus but proc + dmg has priority imo

I see. Well since i found another rare axe i might try craft another one, hoping to get something better (though, to get that roll, i wasted a lot of shrines so i need to go back in fautz in terror... i was farming there for BRC but it was quite slow).

Are there any good buff oskill that i should look for crafting gloves?
Also, are there any switch buffs i could use to boost def or damage?