Durability

Discuss Median XL!
Amantalado
Vampiress
39 | 1
I figure there is some merit in discussing this topic with how current iterations of Median are shaping up, and I'll give my view on how Durability looks to me in the game now.

The current iteration of Median has done away with some of the filler interactions and mechanics such as the purchasing and use of TP and ID scrolls/tomes, and I feel that item repair and item durability is in the same kind of category. The only thing I can think of why it is still around is as an incentive to getting and Indestructible jewel onto an Ethereal item. As it stands, I don't see much reason for the durability stat anymore. Repairing your item is one of the holdover mechanics that you used to have to do alongside filling up your TP Tome, and even then, vanilla D2 had it where repairing items could actually be something you had to think about when utilizing certain items due to how obscenely expensive repairing some of the Runewords were, such as Grief for Smite Paladains.

As it stand currently, I'd like to see a change to what durability is compared to now, where for non-etheral items it is a filler stat in both the base item and affixes, and for ethereal items its just a notifier for the player to roll an Indestructible jewel at some point before use. Because as it is now, repair is one of those things like Town Portal and Identify scrolls: the cost to do it is virtually nothing, but it was something you did when your durability #/Scroll# started approaching 0.

So what do you think? Should durability be altered in some way, left the way it is, or done away with entirely and utilize something else as the quirk of ethereal items/indestructible jewels?