Magic Find Feels Broken?

Discuss Median XL!
EnkerZan
Bone Archer
71 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Title, tinfoil hat time. I've been testing this for a while now cus of the odd drops I've been getting. And it seems the more MF I put on my gear, the worse my drops get. Having 0 MF actually yields far better loot than say 80-120%. Two of my characters have 80% and 120%, and both of them get shitty SHITTY drops. 10 runs in a row with the 120% in a lvl 120 zone and not a single tier unique or a rare sacred beyond mid tier table (tier table as in quilted armor through ancient armor.) On my 80% I'd be lucky to see at least 1 tier unique or a set item. I do 10 runs on my 3rd hero who has 0 MF and uniques, set items, and top tier table rare sacreds are dropping like mad. These specified tests were done before I posted this, and I've been seeing the same results for weeks now. has anyone experienced anything similar?
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
10 runs = tiny sample size
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
80-120% mf is almost nothing. Keep in mind that MF is still a lottery chance.
If you do 100 runs with 0 mf, 100 mf and 300 mf. There will be a difference MF isnt a game breaking mechanic, but in the long run its more rewarding than having none.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Drawing conclusions from a sample size of 10.

https://median-xl.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_Find
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Magic find has significant diminishing returns after 100% towards set an unique items.

A healthy number to go for is about 300% MF, after that the unique MF barely grows. You should be able to reach that 300% without sacrificing too much character power. You should never overextend it past 600%, as this is difficult to reach and provides very little benefit. 600% MF will transfer to +176% chance towards unique where 2000% MF will transfer to +222% chance.

The differences above 600% MF are small enough to just go for increased DPS so you can kill monsters faster. 5% DPS will yield better results than 1000% additional MF
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
EnkerZan wrote:10 runs in a row

That's not how statistics works :coolstorybob:

This article has quite a few mistakes and inaccuracies, it might be good just to get grasp of this subject but otherwise it's better to look for a different source.
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
In short MF does work but the randomness of loot in D2 is still very large and you WILL get 0 set/unique runs even with 400% MF and at the same time you will get 10+ set/unique drops from a run with 0 MF.

Since farming is a repetitive task, often going into hundreds of completed runs, having some reasonable MF is a good idea.
EnkerZan
Bone Archer
71 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
The 10 runs bit was me running before the OP. I have done far more than that across all 3 of those characters (probably well over 200) and was getting the same results.
CallMeCrazySam
Heretic
418 | 59
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
EnkerZan wrote:The 10 runs bit was me running before the OP. I have done far more than that across all 3 of those characters (probably well over 200) and was getting the same results.

Did you actually record any data or are you going off your memory?
EnkerZan
Bone Archer
71 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
CallMeCrazySam wrote:
EnkerZan wrote:The 10 runs bit was me running before the OP. I have done far more than that across all 3 of those characters (probably well over 200) and was getting the same results.

Did you actually record any data or are you going off your memory?

A bit of both. I kind of have a time limit to farm stuff before I log off for the day and I average about 12 full clears of Duncraig in 2 hours or less provided I don't get ganked by the offscreen casters en mass. Probably gonna stop though cus the fkin set pieces I've been looking for won't drop regardless of the MF. At this rate I won't be surprised if it drops on a different character in duplicates cus right now the drop rate feels weighted AF.