Farming, where and is it worth it?

Discuss Median XL!
Miothan
Rust Claw
83 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Hello, i am new to Median and made a Bowazon based on this guide: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=253

I am currently at the "early Game Farming" section of that guide which is basically either farm your bow set or pick up and craft sacred uniques, completed all the basic uberquests in the guide and am currently at the "Early Game Farming" part of the guide.

Now, i did 6 days of farming in single player (since my first bowazon was in single player), but all i got was 3 complete sets which was for other classes and only 2 items from the Pantheon set which is the set i need and also a lot of the same set items kept dropping (Vizjun's Chest armor...11 in total, piece of shit armor!), i realize that i won't be farming as easily in multiplayer simply because it doesn't have plugy so have very limited space so can't save every set item.

Question: Is it worth the HUMONGOUS time investment to farm a complete set? (trading seems to be dead in multiplayer which is sad)
Question: Where do i farm if it is not worth farming set items? (i can farm most areas in destruction that are not uberlevels etc)

Any tip/info is appreciated.

P.S: The 6 days i spent farming were 12+ hours per day, not just an hour or two, so i spent many hours in total trying to get the Pantheon set.

EDIT: ops, perhaps this was supposed to have been posted in Newbie help X_x
Edited by Miothan 8 years.
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
You can farm Terror Griswold for sets.. or Kurast 3k if you're looking for the set.
A good place for my javazon is TA... lots of tu items... some sets (for signets of learning) and decent amount of SU (1-5 per run) The only downside is the arrowside proc.... but still my merc, bloodmage, is the real killer there, cause HE GET THE MF... I can't use lum runes, cause my block will be 30%... Still, he survives very well and kill at a decent speed. However, like you're a bowazon, then farming will be more hard for you, zero defense, lots of arrows,=gg.

Useful tip: USE PHALANX... A LOT.
Useful tip 2: you can use runewords....
Miothan
Rust Claw
83 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
MUS01 wrote:You can farm Terror Griswold for sets.. or Kurast 3k if you're looking for the set.
A good place for my javazon is TA... lots of tu items... some sets (for signets of learning) and decent amount of SU (1-5 per run) The only downside is the arrowside proc.... but still my merc, bloodmage, is the real killer there, cause HE GET THE MF... I can't use lum runes, cause my block will be 30%... Still, he survives very well and kill at a decent speed. However, like you're a bowazon, then farming will be more hard for you, zero defense, lots of arrows,=gg.

Useful tip: USE PHALANX... A LOT.
Useful tip 2: you can use runewords....

I read and noticed that Set items from the special box only has 1 socket, so since i need gems for survivability (Paragon uberskill) i can't really get my set from special boxes, also i read that not all 5 items from sets drop from the special box, so i will still need to farm at least 1 set item somewhere else, which means it's back to the lottery gameplay "Step right up! play the lottery!"

Phalanx isn't really useful atm for me, may be of great use later on when you got enough hp and damage to survive running close/near monsters, but atm Wyrmshot is what kills stuff for me, going close to mobs with phalanx will surely get me killed.

I did some Kurast and River of flame in Single player, and River of Flame was better for me simply because with low gear i can't really destroy the shielding towers, but it's still super slow which is why i wanted to know if there is any other faster way of obtaining set items, cause i do not find it acceptable to farm for 6+ days without getting the complete set, and it's not like i am slow at killing mobs, i wyrmshot a few seconds then move to the next pack of mobs to kill. I did try to do Kurast with Phalanx but did not work, it didn't destroy the towers for me as the arrow's do not pierce and wasting time doing it vs. River of Flame was not productive.

What runeword would you recommend i use? i am on the look-out for any Sacred Reflex bows so i may craft Typhaon (tho i don't know if i can get myself a Ghal rune, haven't tried faust on Destruction yet :P)

Also in the guide OP mentions that A2 Exemplar or A5 Barb is the best merc for Bowzon, so i got an Act2 Exemplar atm, seems good enough at tanking stuff atm, 30k def on him.
Edited by Miothan 8 years.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Tips i got from my struggle with early game farming:

1. Seem kurast area (not uber) can drop decent stuff because of elite density. This i assume same for river of flame and sewer in act 2
2. All uber feel harder to farm as melee character if you lack of gear
3. Since you are using paragon, you need to abuse more shrine crafting or normal TU since SU and set is harder to find.
4. Craft RW only you really needed. If you not using paragon until (10k hp?) you better of using curare and snipe from afar.
5. Learn to use Phalanx. They deal 3/2 wdm and can stun/knockback enemy which good crowd control. I admit aiming with it is tricky, but it is worth to learn on how to use it properly.
6. Invest in Defense Harmony and Fire elemental for cheap slow, since slow was nerfed, amazon is only among class that can get it cheaply
7. Any extra SU / Set can change to signet of learning while TU changed to arcane shards. Use arcane crystal to shrine-blessing if you have some craft / rare / honorific gear.

To be fair, Im also at hopeless level. Feel like stuck cant progress any medium difficulty uber without dying alot.
Miothan
Rust Claw
83 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
iwansquall wrote:Tips i got from my struggle with early game farming:

1. Seem kurast area (not uber) can drop decent stuff because of elite density. This i assume same for river of flame and sewer in act 2
2. All uber feel harder to farm as melee character if you lack of gear
3. Since you are using paragon, you need to abuse more shrine crafting or normal TU since SU and set is harder to find.
4. Craft RW only you really needed. If you not using paragon until (10k hp?) you better of using curare and snipe from afar.
5. Learn to use Phalanx. They deal 3/2 wdm and can stun/knockback enemy which good crowd control. I admit aiming with it is tricky, but it is worth to learn on how to use it properly.
6. Invest in Defense Harmony and Fire elemental for cheap slow, since slow was nerfed, amazon is only among class that can get it cheaply
7. Any extra SU / Set can change to signet of learning while TU changed to arcane shards. Use arcane crystal to shrine-blessing if you have some craft / rare / honorific gear.

To be fair, Im also at hopeless level. Feel like stuck cant progress any medium difficulty uber without dying alot.

What you listed is nothing i have a problem with, i have been following the bowzon guide and have the gameplay down pretty well i think, what i have a problem with, is gearing up from early-game to mid-game, seeing as my goal is to get the Pantheon set it seems to require more than a full week of nonstop farming for set items, THAT is ridiculous, why would i waste my time being bored for more than 7 days? fucking stupid if you ask me, in regular D2 if i farmed stuff for 7 days i would have gotten a few top items, either by having a good drop or farming lower items to trade up for.

I am frustrated since farming for a specific set seems to take forever and even on multiplayer no one seems to be trading set items (i have tried for many hours now), i read that Marco lowered set item drop-rate in the newest version, seems rather dumb to me, but then again, perhaps he envisioned players actually trading set items with each other.
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
In fact you can kite very well using Phalanx...it stuns the monsters, so actually is your unique chance of farm Kurast in Destruction. About merc, in my experience with Javazon, fortres barb, and others chars, the only mercenary able to tank or get some hits and not die in ubers is Bloodmage. All others, the mighty shapeshifter dies all time (damn, he get dr, good speed and morph, defense and insane life, but he dies like he was made of paper) Barbarian with barb set parts is good, still he dies too much. But my bloodmage, he survives very well in no instakilling ubers...
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
actually any a3 merc is tanky as hell
Metalistas
Onyx Knight
601 | 79
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Miothan wrote:Question: Is it worth the HUMONGOUS time investment to farm a complete set? (trading seems to be dead in multiplayer which is sad)
Question: Where do i farm if it is not worth farming set items? (i can farm most areas in destruction that are not uberlevels etc)

Simple answer for multiplayer with current patch - no. Drop rates are lower and in most cases you will find load of sacred uniques before completing full set.

Areas for amazon:
If you can run a5 nithlakh place, a5 baal runs from wp, a4 river of flames, a1 inner cloister.
Miothan
Rust Claw
83 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Metalistas wrote:
Miothan wrote:Question: Is it worth the HUMONGOUS time investment to farm a complete set? (trading seems to be dead in multiplayer which is sad)

Simple answer for multiplayer with current patch - no. Drop rates are lower and in most cases you will find load of sacred uniques before completing full set.

Areas for amazon:
If you can run a5 nithlakh place, a5 baal runs from wp, a4 river of flames, a1 inner cloister.

Can't really farm Nihlathak since i took the waypoint, unless you mean just killing the mobs (didn't know about portal disappearing if you pick up the waypoint until it was too late), can easily do River of flame starting from city of the damned and clear to diablo,is Inner Cloister any good compared to River of flame?
Metalistas
Onyx Knight
601 | 79
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Nithlak run usually means from wp to boss and boss kill. He drops 3 sigs on destruction and 2-3 uniques. Sometimes uniques are sacred. Plus the area is packed with unique monsters (yellow names) - more chance for drops.