Discuss Median XL!
Lujone
Invader
8 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Lucky Bonus
Any item + Oil of Luck → returns item, may add bonuses

I couldn't get it to work on a particular item (repeatedly) so I decided to investigate. While digging through the forum archives I found some old info about this mechanic:

All items have an indicator for the lucky bonus. It’s either a yes or a no, and it’s decided when the item drops. So if your item has a ‘no’ at the time of the drop, it doesn’t matter how many times you try the upgrade, it’ll always fail.

Pretty sure the luck oil bonus affix is determined upon picking the item up the first time. Rerolling the same one over and over again won't produce a successful luck oil if the item doesn't have that hidden quality.

If the GUID check works on different sections of the 32-bits, it may be possible for an item to always roll %def/dam and never DR/%att, no matter how many times you roll it, or DR/%att and never def/dam.

I tried to verify this, so I spent the last 3 days experimenting. A group of items (mostly unique weapons and armor) was tested 300+ times, this is what I noticed:

- Some items can't have the bonus, period
    - Others can have a partial bonus (%def/dam or DR/%att)
    - Full bonus is incredibly rare (%def/dam and DR/%att)
    - The type of partial bonus or whether you can have the bonus at all seems to be predetermined (presumably when the item drops)
    - Different drops of the same unique will behave differently, one may be eligible for a bonus while the other may not be

Thoughts? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

EDIT: Yes, I play in single player.
Edited by Lujone 3 years.
Meddle
Vampiress
39 | 5
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
you can't "reroll the same one over and over" unless you are playing in single player with backup save files. oil of renewal and other methods of "rerolling" returns a completely new item so i'm not sure how the information you're digging is relevant to actual gameplay.
the lucky bonus is 20% chance, for each modifier it potentially has. so if you're trying to get both 20% damage and 100% attack rating you are looking at a 1 in 25 (4%) chance of success

as for any other thoughts? your conclusions are pretty vague. for example "some items" is incredibly unspecific
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Meddle wrote:you can't "reroll the same one over and over" unless you are playing in single player with backup save files

It doesn't work if you dupe the same item, lucky change is determined on item drop. So it doesn't matter if you are on sp or tsw.
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
why would the devs lie about it?!

+ people who play median for 5+ years dont discover this?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Every item drops with 2 hidden stats, one for lucky and one for lottery. Let's say this hidden stat can be 0 or 1. If it is 1, then the item has 20% chance to be luckied. If it is 0, the item will never get luckied, no matter how many times you dupe the item to try. Same thing applies for lottery bonus. Just note that the hidden stats are separate for lucky and lottery, one can be 0 and the other 1 for example, which means you can lottery the item, but never lucky it, for example.

This is a fact, there is no need to confirm (or deny) it.

kolyeah8 wrote:why would the devs lie about it?!

What?
koffi
Sasquatch
60 | 0
Istaryu wrote:Every item drops with 2 hidden stats, one for lucky and one for lottery. Let's say this hidden stat can be 0 or 1. If it is 1, then the item has 20% chance to be luckied.

Is it so? I thought that hidden stat by itself would have 3%/20% chance to roll, and it would then be just revealed by applying oil or charm, rather than first needing to be lucky enough to have hidden stat as part of the drop/roll and then needing even more luck to actually roll it successfully.

Or did I misunderstand what was written there, as it seems to happen to me occasionally.
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
It's rather a bug in cube output parser than anything else, Blizzard never bothered to fix it because these kind of recipes, i.e. fixed chance to roll an attribute on item, was never used in vanilla d2. Would you even be surprised if I told you that famous ethereal bug and this aforementioned bug are sharing the same few lines of code? Think of it as a side effect that you can't apply lucky/lottery bonus on the same item no matter how many times have you tried. Personally I don't think of any reason in fixing it, there is no situation where it can be abused to manipulate the outcome (let's not count the save scumming as one of them).

Istaryu wrote:Every item drops with 2 hidden stats

No, that's not how it works. It might be a decent analogy for the sake of explanation but it's not the truth.
Edited by SwineFlu 3 years.
Philby
Azure Drake
161 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
koffi wrote:
Istaryu wrote:Every item drops with 2 hidden stats, one for lucky and one for lottery. Let's say this hidden stat can be 0 or 1. If it is 1, then the item has 20% chance to be luckied.

Is it so? I thought that hidden stat by itself would have 3%/20% chance to roll, and it would then be just revealed by applying oil or charm, rather than first needing to be lucky enough to have hidden stat as part of the drop/roll and then needing even more luck to actually roll it successfully.

Or did I misunderstand what was written there, as it seems to happen to me occasionally.

I'm also interested, if someone can clarify weither it's 3% chanche that lotto bonus rolls on the item (1) or if it's randomly 0 or 1 and if 1, chance% applies...
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
Istaryu wrote:..

This is a fact, there is no need to confirm (or deny) it.

kolyeah8 wrote:why would the devs lie about it?!

What?

OP is implying that the recipes saying 20% / 3% to add a bonus are not accurate therefore its different than written in the docs.
i just ask why the devs would do that.

agreeing with you ;)
Diaco
Void Archon
883 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I can confirm that if an item has the hidden "lucky" stat, luckying it will always succeed. haven't tested lottoing