Trouble Running Median 2017 on Wine [SOLVED]

Need help installing the mod?
SlugInfinite
Cultist
22 | 0
I've been playing Ultimatum on Wine no problem , but I'm having troubles getting Median XL 2017 to work on Wine, and It's getting pretty frustrating. Anybody able to get it to work or able to point me in the right direction? I've been searching but since it's such a new release there's not much documented just yet. If I get it working I'll write an in-depth guide to getting it working on Linux with Wine, no problem.

So, I've done a couple re-installs of D2 and LOD, I make sure I can run the game normally, but once I put the new D2_patch.mpq and stuff in the "Diablo II" folder my desktop shortcuts no longer work.

ian XL wrote:Failed to retrieve process

Any help or nudge in the right direction is greatly appreciated! I really want to play the new version of my favorite mod. My close friend just got back into it and we're gonna get into it again together. :)

UPDATE:
It's working, thanks to @Solfege

First things first, I made sure I had the newest stable Wine (2.0.1) from WineHQ.
Then selecting my specific distro (I'm using Linux Mint, which has access to Ubuntu's PPA's)
Then I executed these commands to verify WineHQ's PPA's. I am on 18.x so I exectured the last command.
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main' && sudo apt-get update

After one last 'sudo apt-get update', the final command is to install the stable release (2.0.1).

As Solfege pointed out, in order to get the game to work properly, I need to use D2SE. I navigated to the conveniently located Tools section on the menu bar of the site. Downloaded, and installed through Wine no problems.

I probably went a bit overboard but I was really bored and it didn't take much time honestly. I'm just in an amazing mood now that I got it all working correctly. Thanks Solfege, D2SE Is most definitely the way to go.
Edited by SlugInfinite 6 years.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Works fine on Linux via D2SE and PlugY 10.00. Never tried a straight copy/paste though, so IDK. Probably doesn't help you.
SlugInfinite
Cultist
22 | 0
I actually figured it out :) I'll sort of explain what I did in the main post lol. I feel like an idiot, I'm happy to have gotten it working though! Still happy the community is active enough and diverse to already get a response :) Thank you sir.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Cool. Curious what the deal was.
SlugInfinite
Cultist
22 | 0
Solfege wrote:Cool. Curious what the deal was.

You had it right man, so thank you. Put me in such a good mood I probably went way overkill on the thread. Ah well, what can I say. Thanks again :).

full size

Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
That error means you didnt run the game as admin.
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
SlugInfinite
Cultist
22 | 0
Quirinus wrote:That error means you didnt run the game as admin.

There is no way to run the game as admin on Linux.
SlugInfinite
Cultist
22 | 0
Okay so I tried to do a workaround but I'm still running into errors. I'm really close though :(
I decided to run it in a virtual machine, and I can get the game running no problem, now my issue is playing on realm.

Is there still the "old-school" method of adding a realm with a registry key? Can anybody help me with that? D2SE just hangs on "connecting to closest server" or whatever, and it's even doing that on my Win7 laptop, god this is so frustrating to me. Anybody know what's wrong with D2SE? I'm getting real close to giving up for the time being.
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
http://tsw.median-xl.com/registry.zip

It shouldn't be needed though, as the game is supposed to auto select the server ip.

You can try using the Launcher.
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
SlugInfinite
Cultist
22 | 0
Quirinus wrote:http://tsw.median-xl.com/registry.zip

It shouldn't be needed though, as the game is supposed to auto select the server ip.

Thank you so much! It works. Ahh, now I can use my main OS and stop booting into Windows just to play. Really appreciate it and I'm glad to mark this thread solved.