Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
plookey78 wrote:I couldnt kill him aswell, then i asked for help and some guy joined and oneshotted him. I dont like this boss at all, seems like its a dps check that blocks slower builds from getting that nice charm.

It is not a dps check. Akarat has a chance to cast inner fire (which is a full heal) on striking, or something like that, so if you dont let akarat hit anything, it will never heal. So no summons, no mercs. Just dmg until the boss goes immune, and lure it to an another follower to break the immunity again, and kill.
Engersion
Sasquatch
65 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Can we get some authority to comment on this? I've just tested it 10 times. Lightning sorc, no summons, I have not been hit, and he regenerates whenever he is below 40% AND if I hit him with the center of Frigid Sphere. He did not regenerate if I hit him with Tempest or the outer blast of Frigid Sphere. So I guess the closest answer is Inner Fire is actually triggered when he takes damage?
suchbalance
Team Member
1756 | 513
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
He heals when he reaches 30% hp, sometimes this can get delayed a bit due to the way D2 AI works. Every build has at least one skill which is made for single target. If you're not focusing on that skill then you could have problems with boss content in general.

If you can't kill Akarat when you get to him on any build it's usually a case of:
- You aren't using your build's single target skill, or haven't maxed it out (if caster)
- You haven't upgraded your gear to Tiered unique tier 4 / lvl 100 runewords
- You haven't fixed your gear - socket fillers, mystic orbs etc.
- You aren't using a mercenary (for example a5 barb in tiered uniques and socket fillers can almost solo him by himself)

Think of it as an early DPS check to give you an indicator on what you need to improve on your character for the content to come. There is also nothing wrong with not being able to do content the minute your character level meets the minimum. Often you will have to over level while improving your gear to beat bosses you meet earlier - e.g. hell Baal.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
suchbalance wrote:He heals when he reaches 30% hp

Well, that is good to know. I have always given the same advice i just did earlier to people who couldnt kill akarat, and they always reported success with the strategy, weird.
physics
Sasquatch
66 | 2
Zedethar wrote:Update:

Much later i have made an unholy caster paladin to test the difficulty of Akarat. At level 111 with my unholy caster set and not many charms or mystic orb upgrading. I pretty much destroyed Akarat in about 10 seconds on my first attempt. This kind of made me sad for Necromancer casters as they have much more difficulty in alot of fights compared to my 2nd class i decided to try. I don't know if i was doing something wrong, but Boneyard seems to not dish out near as much damage as mind flay. I hope if theres something wrong with Necromancer it will get fixed in future updates. I will probably not try Necro caster as much anymore or stick with Paladin to see how far i can get. I did make alot of improvements to my Necro lately like utilizing Veil King and much more life along with 24k DMG Boneyard. But this happened much later after many attempts of Akarat and doing tons of mystic orb upgrades to full set of Celestial Orchard.

Thanks everyone again for feedback

From what I've gathered from your posts, you aren't using dream eater as a damage skill. You only need a ~10k dream eater to comfortably do Akarat, just make sure to use bane as well.
Zedethar
Prowler
15 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Frytas wrote: And yeah, Akarat is a dps check for sure - you need to outdamage his heal if he uses it - but a necro should be able to handle it without problems; the real issue seems to exist between the chair and the keyboard tbh.

lol

I just to make sure everyone understands I am fine with this fight now and I finished it on necromancer, I mentioned that I had to unsummon all and basically you can't use a mercenary. It is also correct that i currently don't rely on Dream Eater as my main skill because I want to try to use Boneyard as my main skill. Everyone has different strategies and different ideas about the fight and necromancer tactics so it got a bit confusing but I finished the fight once I realized you can't let anything get near him or he will full heal. (minions or mercs) Most people gave me some really good infomation on what to do and were nice about it.

I felt like mentioning my Paladin experience towards this fight in comparison to my Necromancer because I destroyed him without even trying as on necromancer I had to go balls to the wall with it. Just a really different experience from each other and thought it would be worth mentioning.

physics wrote:From what I've gathered from your posts, you aren't using dream eater as a damage skill. You only need a ~10k dream eater to comfortably do Akarat, just make sure to use bane as well.

I will try out Bane as you suggest in future fights. Is this only for lowering of physical resists?
physics
Sasquatch
66 | 2
Zedethar wrote:
Frytas wrote: And yeah, Akarat is a dps check for sure - you need to outdamage his heal if he uses it - but a necro should be able to handle it without problems; the real issue seems to exist between the chair and the keyboard tbh.

lol

I just to make sure everyone understands I am fine with this fight now and I finished it on necromancer, I mentioned that I had to unsummon all and basically you can't use a mercenary. It is also correct that i currently don't rely on Dream Eater as my main skill because I want to try to use Boneyard as my main skill. Everyone has different strategies and different ideas about the fight and necromancer tactics so it got a bit confusing but I finished the fight once I realized you can't let anything get near him or he will full heal. (minions or mercs) Most people gave me some really good infomation on what to do and were nice about it.

I felt like mentioning my Paladin experience towards this fight in comparison to my Necromancer because I destroyed him without even trying as on necromancer I had to go balls to the wall with it. Just a really different experience from each other and thought it would be worth mentioning.

physics wrote:From what I've gathered from your posts, you aren't using dream eater as a damage skill. You only need a ~10k dream eater to comfortably do Akarat, just make sure to use bane as well.

I will try out Bane as you suggest in future fights. Is this only for lowering of physical resists?

Yeah that's right, and since dream eater is purely physical damage, it benefits fully from the bane debuff. Boneyard is half physical/half magic, so obviously only the physical portion will be affected by bane. Dream eater is the malice necromancer's single target spell, so if you have uber troubles again, try using it more. Don't lock yourself into the "main skill" mindset, malice necromancer uses both boneyard and dream eater in a variety of situations. I'm sure if you keep an open mind and experiment with both skills, you will find out when to use each. Good luck buddy :)
Zedethar
Prowler
15 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
physics wrote:Yeah that's right, and since dream eater is purely physical damage, it benefits fully from the bane debuff. Boneyard is half physical/half magic, so obviously only the physical portion will be affected by bane. Dream eater is the malice necromancer's single target spell, so if you have uber troubles again, try using it more. Don't lock yourself into the "main skill" mindset, malice necromancer uses both boneyard and dream eater in a variety of situations. I'm sure if you keep an open mind and experiment with both skills, you will find out when to use each. Good luck buddy :)

Ok that just blew my mind a bit! So Dream Eater is all physical damage? I did not know this. And I also thought Boneyard was pure magical damage. This definently will make me try different strategies with both spells. Thanks again for this! :D

Also is there a such thing as a Totem build? I noticed during my early levels that they seem to do really good in some fights as well. I think they have a damage avoidance that helps survival in many situations. I use Veil King as my main tank now and he is fully buffed but sometimes he will die and when he does i have to fight him and the boss lol.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Zedethar wrote:Ok that just blew my mind a bit! So Dream Eater is all physical damage? I did not know this. And I also thought Boneyard was pure magical damage. This definently will make me try different strategies with both spells. Thanks again for this! :D

Also is there a such thing as a Totem build? I noticed during my early levels that they seem to do really good in some fights as well. I think they have a damage avoidance that helps survival in many situations. I use Veil King as my main tank now and he is fully buffed but sometimes he will die and when he does i have to fight him and the boss lol.

Maybe read the skill descriptions? ;)

Totem build is a thing yes, I believe there is some kind of miniguide for it. It is great at leveling but starts to lack in power in mid-game, or at least in end-game.