Class restrictions on items and some gameplay observations

Discuss Median XL!
Templayer
Imp
5 | 0
Hi!

I wanted to ask for something.

Yesterday, I was playing with my friend over LAN. While recording for my crappy youtube channel.

We would like the mod, but there are some excruciating things about it that we wish to address, if it is even possible.

When compared to Diablo 2, the item restrictions are ... insane.

Paladin lances? Why? Assassin polearms? Just get it out of the pocket and backstab with it!

But we don't want these questions answered.

I was going to edit the .txt files to remove these restrictions, but only .bins are available for item and skill editing.
(I DO NOT WANT YOU TO SEND ME THE .TXT FILES. I've read enough posts about that to know that it is not going to happen... unless I'm well enough liked, I guess)

If there is a dev / anybody that has access to the original .txt files and is merciful enough to send me .bin items (weapons, armors) and skills where class restrictions are removed, StaffMods are either randomized for any class (ideally) or removed and skills are not limited to specific types of weapons, only to Meele / ranged, I would give them a shoutout on my channel, if they wish.

For example the Sorceress - the Melee branch - instead of it being limited to "staves, orbs and crystal swords" it would just require a melee weapon.

Also I don't even know how to cheat with this - this is only for singleplayer and LAN (where everybody wants that! As were are constantly encountering gear that we wish we could use, and in vanilla we could, but we cannot, because "someone said so" being the only reason :( ).

I'm playing as a Barbarian and I always dreamed to play Median XL with a Polearms Barbarian. Halberds, Bardiches, ...
As you can expect, polearms are divided between the assassin, the paladin, the amazon,... so it is impossible.

We just love making insane characters. I've finished vanilla with a Druid wielding (and actually using, no transformations!) two-handed swords (with my friend using a Necromancer with Axes)!

And all that fun is gone, because we are not allowed to play the way we want and wish to play. Because somebody said so.

The challenge is still there (well, not really), because I am using non-class specific spears (there very little amount available), and currently using the only scythe-type item (well, three if you count all difficulties) that isn't necromancer-only.

The challenge not really being there stems from my character being extremely overpowered. I have used only one health potion so far, at the very start of the game, when my health was at half, and it never got so low again. And both me and my friend are capable of killing entire screens of enemies (bosses included!) in seconds. With probably extremely non-optimal builds as well (it's the first time we are playing Median XL - version 1.6.X). Poor bosses cannot even finish their "speeches". Also - recording everything on video, as I have said previously.

Also I got Gothic armor before rescuing Deckard (base difficulty!), and I was fully decked in act 5 equipment (except for a weapon) shortly after rescuing him (BASE DIFFICULTY). Is it normal to have 500-1000 armor in the half of the first act at the first difficulty? It's ridiculous. And the enemies do not pose a challenge.

With all that - why would I cheat? There is exactly zero reasons for us to cheat by how the game currently is. :bounce:

Also I am willing to pay you money for making a checkbox in the settings that would do the things mentioned (remove class restrictions for all items, change specific weapon restrictions to melee and ranged restrictions for skills and made it impossible for a client to join a server when these settings differ! (thus no cheating... I think, I don't know how it works))

Templayer
Templayer
Imp
5 | 0
And I've almost forgotten to say...

pretty please.

:<
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Templayer wrote:

Also I got Gothic armor before rescuing Deckard (base difficulty!), and I was fully decked in act 5 equipment (except for a weapon) shortly after rescuing him (BASE DIFFICULTY). Is it normal to have 500-1000 armor in the half of the first act at the first difficulty? It's ridiculous. And the enemies do not pose a challenge.

With all that - why would I cheat? There is exactly zero reasons for us to cheat by how the game currently is. :bounce:

Templayer

Didnt read it all except saw this.
Normal difficulty is a faceroll, you will start the game at nightmare where you have to cap resistances etc.
The real game starts in hell and The ubers, and then the mobs will really pose a threat.
Feedback is good, but play the game out first
Templayer
Imp
5 | 0
Yeahsper wrote:
Templayer wrote:

Templayer

Normal difficulty is a faceroll, you will start the game at nightmare where you have to cap resistances etc.
The real game starts in hell and The ubers, and then the mobs will really pose a threat.

It's a bit ironic that you are telling me to play the entire game first while you actually didn't read my entire post and you have missed the entire reason WHY I made the post in the first place.

If we did play through the entire game, I wouldn't have made that post - we cannot enjoy the game without the .... but why should I repeat myself?
hellgrind
Mangler
458 | 21
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Templayer wrote:
Yeahsper wrote:
Templayer wrote:

Templayer

It's a bit ironic that you are telling me to play the entire game first while you actually didn't read my entire post and you have missed the entire reason WHY I made the post in the first place.

If we did play through the entire game, I wouldn't have made that post - we cannot enjoy the game without the .... but why should I repeat myself?

I read it through now, and my point still stands. You want everyone to be able to do everything, or atleast wear everything. Where is the diversity in that? Everyone would play uhm then because its OP. Now imagine if he can use every single equipment in the game.

Your second point is that you feel overpowered and can clear whole screens. Yes, for now you can. You are still at the tutorial where you can just stack as much damage as possible and your aoe skills works just as fine single target. Characters who usually can farm and clear whole screen, usually is bad at bossing, and vice verse.

You want to mod the game to your liking and are asking for pretty much the source code. No comment on that, that is popcorn worthy.
Bardamu
Gravedigger
183 | 57
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Templayer wrote:With all that - why would I cheat? There is exactly zero reasons for us to cheat by how the game currently is. :bounce:

This is amazing.
Cheno
Heretic
434 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Bardamu wrote:
Templayer wrote:With all that - why would I cheat? There is exactly zero reasons for us to cheat by how the game currently is. :bounce:

This is amazing.

I really want a link to his youtube channel, late nightmate/early hell will be amazing for sure.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Class specific items are class specific for a reason. They are usually way stronger than generic items (thats why each class has only like 2 class specific items), and they are usually tied to one spec of the class.
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Let’s see a dual Naginatas wielding Barbarian using Windform on a Superbeast morph. Why not add a Veil king too !