Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
The way how you ignore all advices / questions and just choose few posts and use them to continue shitposting looks suspiciously much like either some troll having fun or spoiled kid that's angry because the game is too hard for him.

Mr_Bill wrote:I did not say that quests like Baal (or Diablo, or almost "anything") are completely impossible in Nightmare.

you didn't say "completely impossible" but you wrote something very similar:
Mr_Bill wrote:Median developers have tried to make the game "challenging" but doing so has had the side-effect of making it completely unplayable in Hardcore (at least over the Internet, and at least past Normal mode)

Mr_Bill wrote:This "mandatory" Median quest is next to suicidal for most character classes, no matter how well the character in question is played; and even for the "right" character builds

Mr_Bill wrote:Rather, these quests are, simply, "absurdly difficult (at least for many types of Median characters) to the point where whether a normal player with normal skills, with a normal network connection (for Realm / TSW play) and normal gear (for the level of the area and quest), succeeds in the quest or gets one-shotted by the boss monster, comes down basically to luck...

Now you pose like you're representing general opinion of "normal players", at least that's an improvement since last:
Mr_Bill wrote:The fact that a few ultra-determined, experienced and well-briefed players (including me!) can occasionally beat this endgame quest without being slain, DOES NOT "justify" having the quest set up in such a way that only 1 out of every 10 "casual" players would stand a snowball's chance in Hell (err... "Nightmare") of succeeding.

So what are your accomplishments in MXL?
Mr_Bill wrote:I have been playing D2-variant games since the 1990s

That doesn't mean anything, MXL is so very different from vanila D2 and most of the mods.

Mr_Bill wrote:Of course you can beat Nightmare Baal; as I stated in my last message, I did so myself in Hardcore with my Scorpion Blade / Storm Crows Assassin. I have done it before numerous times in Softcore, including several times deathless.

You only mention your hybrid throwsin which is currently lvl 108. And from what I've seen in history (several ladders back) it wasn't any better in the past. How far did you actually ever get in MXL?
https://tsw.vn.cz - TSW realm stats (& Quests, NotArmory, HC chars)
Cheno
Heretic
434 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Mr_Bill wrote:For about the 18th time, would you please stop using the "Straw Man" fallacy (e.g. attacking a weak parody of what I said, as opposed to what I actually said).

I did not say that quests like Baal (or Diablo, or almost "anything") are completely impossible in Nightmare. (If for no reason other than I have been able to complete them in Hardcore with some of my characters.)

Like aazh already stated, that was basically what you argued over and over.

Mr_Bill wrote:Rather, these quests are, simply, "absurdly difficult (at least for many types of Median characters) to the point where whether a normal player with normal skills, with a normal network connection (for Realm / TSW play) and normal gear (for the level of the area and quest), succeeds in the quest or gets one-shotted by the boss monster, comes down basically to luck... and the odds are heavily stacked against you; to the point where these (mandatory) quests are not 'exciting" any more; they are so frustrating and unfairly difficult that the game isn't any fun to play in Hardcore mode."

Personally I believe you underestimate the average Median player and for some reason you believe that you're an average player yourself. I'm really getting the impression that you're significantly below the average player, so it's kinda funny that you seem to argue the average players case. I don't mean below average in a demeaning way, everybody starts somewhere and everybody has the potential to get better at the game. I say below average because it warps your perception of what is hard and what is not.

Mr_Bill wrote:The basic issue here, which nobody (or few of those commenting) wants to address, is that the Median developers have (understandably) poured almost all their efforts into making the Softcore version of the game "challenging" to play, but they have made Hardcore mode an exact copy of Softcore mode (except for the obvious factor of "you only live once"), producing a game that may be (sort of) interesting to play in Softcore (that is... if you think "getting killed 8 times within the space of 5 minutes", is "interesting"), but which is unfairly difficult in Hardcore.

You stumble upon the reason why hardcore it is the way it is, that it's collateral damage to the game being balanced around softcore and It has been stated multiple times by Marco, that online softcore ladder is the priority. It's the priority to the extend that single player, nonladder and hardcore only really receive changes if said changes doesn't impact realm ladder.
There is without a doubt a discussion to be had about why hardcore is so very anti-player but you never really touched on that until multiple people corrected you that the "tutorial"-part of the game is not part of the hardcore problem. The hardcore problem doesn't really get into effect until level 115-120+ and even then, some people manage to make it work. It will most likely never be balanced and that's why people keep saying that if you don't know what you're doing, then you shouldn't be playing hardcore. If you don't have the tools to make it work, then it's not for you.

Mr_Bill wrote:The answer to all of this should be obvious : Hardcore and Softcore Median should be different games with different levels of difficulty, appropriate to realistic estimates of character strength and durability (for players of AVERAGE competence... not the tiny few who play the game obsessively and who know every last trick around), at each quest or challenge level. Either that, or the devs should just call a spade a spade and drop Hardcore mode altogether.

I'd prefer the former, of course, but it may be just too much work that the developers might feel would be better spent on further upgrades to the Softcore version of Median. In that case maybe we should just say a fond "goodbye" to Hardcore mode and be done with it.

And you manage to answer the question yourself, hardcore is not the intended way to play Median and it will likely never receive the changes you're looking for, cause as you said, the team will officially not provide the development time to make it viable to the wider userbase. That is the reason why most hardcore players are masochists, who understands what they are getting into. It used to be even worse, before Sigma came out, you ran into the first oneshot mechanic at level 5 or so.

About 1.5 months ago, a POE player streamed himself playing hardcore Median for the first time. A couple of Median players spent a lot of time explaining how Median works to him and he made it to level 126, before dying in Duncraig. He already knew what he was getting into, he was super tryhard about it and he wasn't angry when he died, cause he recognized what he could have done better and that's what Hardcore Median is about. You sign up for a shitty deal and see how far you can push yourself. If you don't like those terms, then you should not play hardcore Median.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Play hardcore Torchlight 2 with Synergies mod and come here complain about that.
Ekital
Grubber
310 | 11
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Mr_Bill wrote:
Cheno wrote:
Mr_Bill wrote:Hey, all you "Oh, Median is just easy to play in Hardcore if you aren't such a n00b", guys?

Want to know what I'm talking about? This guy is a well-known Median player who streams constantly and knows the game very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtplMTdvxN8

(The fun starts at about 15.05 of the video.)

Yeah. Sure. You can play it in Hardcore if you're not a lame n00b, d00dz! Anything you say.

Dude, dying to nightmare Baal and doing lvl 125 content untwinked, without dying are light years apart, that's not even in the same universe. Figure out what your argument is, if you expected to be able to do all content on hardcore, then you're shit out of luck cause 95% of the playerbase doesn't manage to do that on softcore. Pick a build and I'll give you a deathless nightmare Baal kill before the next season releases.

For about the 18th time, would you please stop using the "Straw Man" fallacy (e.g. attacking a weak parody of what I said, as opposed to what I actually said).

I did not say that quests like Baal (or Diablo, or almost "anything") are completely impossible in Nightmare. (If for no reason other than I have been able to complete them in Hardcore with some of my characters.)

Rather, these quests are, simply, "absurdly difficult (at least for many types of Median characters) to the point where whether a normal player with normal skills, with a normal network connection (for Realm / TSW play) and normal gear (for the level of the area and quest), succeeds in the quest or gets one-shotted by the boss monster, comes down basically to luck... and the odds are heavily stacked against you; to the point where these (mandatory) quests are not 'exciting" any more; they are so frustrating and unfairly difficult that the game isn't any fun to play in Hardcore mode."

The basic issue here, which nobody (or few of those commenting) wants to address, is that the Median developers have (understandably) poured almost all their efforts into making the Softcore version of the game "challenging" to play, but they have made Hardcore mode an exact copy of Softcore mode (except for the obvious factor of "you only live once"), producing a game that may be (sort of) interesting to play in Softcore (that is... if you think "getting killed 8 times within the space of 5 minutes", is "interesting"), but which is unfairly difficult in Hardcore.

(At this point however I do have to give credit where credit is due, namely, at least since the last few patches, if you get killed in Hardcore, you get to still play that character but in Softcore. This is a vast improvement on the "GG N00B" nonsense of earlier times where (a la D2 LoD) your character was permanently dead. So good move there developers.)

The answer to all of this should be obvious : Hardcore and Softcore Median should be different games with different levels of difficulty, appropriate to realistic estimates of character strength and durability (for players of AVERAGE competence... not the tiny few who play the game obsessively and who know every last trick around), at each quest or challenge level. Either that, or the devs should just call a spade a spade and drop Hardcore mode altogether.

I'd prefer the former, of course, but it may be just too much work that the developers might feel would be better spent on further upgrades to the Softcore version of Median. In that case maybe we should just say a fond "goodbye" to Hardcore mode and be done with it.

You do realize hardcore is supposed to be hard right? It's in the fucking name.
physics
Sasquatch
66 | 2
Mr_Bill wrote:The answer to all of this should be obvious : Hardcore and Softcore Median should be different games with different levels of difficulty, appropriate to realistic estimates of character strength and durability (for players of AVERAGE competence... not the tiny few who play the game obsessively and who know every last trick around), at each quest or challenge level. Either that, or the devs should just call a spade a spade and drop Hardcore mode altogether.

That you think this is even a remotely good idea is absolutely alarming to me.

These threads are all the same. You will never post your notarmory, you will never post a gameplay video, and you will never admit any shortcoming on your end. Any lack of success is the fault of the poorly tuned game, any disagreement from other players is dismissed on the basis of them being no-life nerds. Your mind will not be changed by any amount of reason or patience.

If you are deadset on a hardcore experience, I suggest Diablo 3. Play the Barbarian and when you get to level 13, use the Nerves of Steel passive.
chibichobi
Prowler
19 | 0
Game is unplayable in Hardcore
Plz fix it , thx.
aahz
Team Member
494 | 287
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
chibichobi wrote:Game is unplayable in Hardcore
Plz fix it , thx.

Express your complaint in your next season char name :denied:
https://tsw.vn.cz - TSW realm stats (& Quests, NotArmory, HC chars)
Javalad
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
HC is not unplayable, you just need a different set of goals.

My goal is to get to a higher level than I've managed before. Most of the chars I've made have got to over 100 (125 is my highest so far) and most of them have gotten to hell. I've lost a couple of chars to NM BAAL, but nearly all my deaths have come on Hell level. I recognise that I will never be able to do some quests but that is the price of playing a more edgy game IMO.

I've played SC as well so I can still take on Ubers to see what they are like.
chibichobi
Prowler
19 | 0
aahz wrote:
chibichobi wrote:Game is unplayable in Hardcore
Plz fix it , thx.

Express your complaint in your next season char name :denied:

Run out of ideas, u can suggest something.

PS.It was a joke , why 2 dislikes (((((
schroedinger
Prowler
18 | 3
I played one SC season in Median XL before moving to HC. After 2-3 ladder seasons, I have reached the point where I can level several characters up to level 120-125 easily. If you check the ladder in HC, you will notice some people reaching 140s EVERY season. So, no, it is not that difficult, it just requires some practice, patience and knowledge of the game.

PS: never died because of ping/latency/lag issue