Nerfed sorc

Discuss Median XL!
Javalad
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
Not going well for me since they took away the familiar skill and replaced it with a miserable few points in spell focus. I''m not quite sure what the point of spell focus is, but it doesn't come close to compensating for six or more to all skills.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Well, spell focus increases your spell damage. For every 10 spell focus, your total damage output increases by 1%. I'd agree though that 10 spell focus per base level is pretty weak, but it adds up over time. With 20 points in it, your damage is 20% higher. If you compare it to caster druid, whose ultimate skill gives you about 300 spell focus with a single point (because it gains 10 spell focus per level including those from +skills, not per base level like Familiar) you'll notice quickly that there's a huge disparity. But 20% spell damage is already pretty okay. Just not worth 20 points probably. I'd only invest in Familiar skill if you have nother better to put points into.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
It is NOT total spell damage, its added to your energy synergy.
PureBlunt
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Istaryu wrote:It is NOT total spell damage, its added to your energy synergy.

There is no synergy anymore spell Focus is capped at 1k and more energy wont boost it
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies

Quote from patch notes:

To fix these issues we have made the following changes:
Energy and Strength Factor damage bonus is now no longer related to your total Energy and Strength attributes
Energy and Strength factor have been renamed to SPELL FOCUS
The new Spell Focus damage bonus formula is: % Damage bonus = Spell Focus / 10 capping at 100%.
So every 10 points of Spell Focus will increase your total spell damage by 1%
Now Spell Focus will grant significant damage bonuses for early & mid game characters, while actually having a reachable cap in the endgame
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
ParticuLarry wrote:

Quote from patch notes:

Energy and Strength Factor damage bonus is now no longer related to your total Energy and Strength attributes
The new Spell Focus damage bonus formula is: % Damage bonus = Spell Focus / 10 capping at 100%.
Now Spell Focus will grant significant damage bonuses for early & mid game characters, while actually having a reachable cap in the endgame

But that is wrong. Read here: https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/concepts/spellfocus
If you can understand what it means, then you can see that it does not a direct total damage increase, its additive with energy synergy.
Javalad
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
I decided to respec my dead sorc before I delete her. previously i was doing 3697 flamefront damage with 4 points in rite of familiar. I created exactly the same skills and attributes but put 21 points into rite of the familiar. damage went up from 3697 to 4019. That's a pretty poor return IMO. I'm pretty sure six extra skills would have given me more. But apart from that it means everything is scaled down. The lost skills mean minions are much weaker, defence is a lot lower. buffs are less powerful, basically every single skill is weaker by 6. This is a huge nerf. I don't know whether the powers that be decided that sorcs were overpowered? If that was the case they certainly aren't now.
Deathbringer
Sasquatch
66 | 2
Javalad wrote:I decided to respec my dead sorc before I delete her. previously i was doing 3697 flamefront damage with 4 points in rite of familiar. I created exactly the same skills and attributes but put 21 points into rite of the familiar. damage went up from 3697 to 4019. That's a pretty poor return IMO. I'm pretty sure six extra skills would have given me more. But apart from that it means everything is scaled down. The lost skills mean minions are much weaker, defence is a lot lower. buffs are less powerful, basically every single skill is weaker by 6. This is a huge nerf. I don't know whether the powers that be decided that sorcs were overpowered? If that was the case they certainly aren't now.

Extra skills were extremely important for poison sorc, you would even want to get atanna khan's dress for those extra 20 familiar levels so your damage can compete and now you get some spell focus but hey, just a little hotfix am I right :flip: :bounce:
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Istaryu wrote:
ParticuLarry wrote:

Quote from patch notes:

But that is wrong. Read here: https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/concepts/spellfocus
If you can understand what it means, then you can see that it does not a direct total damage increase, its additive with energy synergy.

I see. It's weird that only half the formula was posted in the patch notes. Thanks for clearing it up to me. You were right indeed.
Scalewinged
Cow Ninja
1291 | 61
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Side note: Energy synergy and Spell focus are the same total spell damage increase just like EWD and bonus damage from str/dex on weapon for WDM. So if you, let's say, already have 500% fire spell damage from items and then add 10 spell focus - you will get same damage inc if it were 5% fire spell damage (1% out of 500%). Same with energy bonus - if it will rise by 1% - this will become 5% fire spell damage.