New player here!

Discuss Median XL!
Sellier
Fallen
1 | 0
Hello!

I am an avid ARPG fan and with PoEs league being in a questionable state, i was looking to branch off into another game and stumbled upon this game. I was hoping for some help in the form of suggestions for a build, completely new player friendly, that can get me into the game and farming for gear/other stuff so i can either upgrade that char or roll a new one.

Thanks in advance!
paolo12
Cog
204 | 18
viewtopic.php?t=45921
Exactly what You want.
Deckard_Lame
Acid Prince
48 | 1
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Sellier wrote:Hello!

I am an avid ARPG fan and with PoEs league being in a questionable state, i was looking to branch off into another game and stumbled upon this game. I was hoping for some help in the form of suggestions for a build, completely new player friendly, that can get me into the game and farming for gear/other stuff so i can either upgrade that char or roll a new one.

Thanks in advance!

I'm new too, and I've been playing amazon, but the last few days of last season I played a sorc and found that to be much more user friendly than a bowazon has been. Still wanna clear more content with this character that I chose for my starter, but that's just my 2 cents.
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
85 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Sellier wrote:Hello!

Thanks in advance!

A few comments :

(1) The game is suicidally un-playable in Hardcore, past about Act 3 in Nightmare. Your character is GOING to get one- or two-shotted, no matter how good your gear is and no matter how carefully you play (especially if you are playing on the TSW Realms as opposed to "single-player" or with locally-stored characters; the slightest lag or de-sync will result in a swift and uncermonious demise). But oh well -- when (note I said "when", not "if") your Hardcore character gets ganked, it just becomes an equivalent Softcore character, so you can just go on playing it... this is a huge improvement over classic D2 in which your poor character was just "dead".

(2) Even in Softcore, many of the higher difficulty level Uberquests are next to impossible to successfully complete unless (a) you have a very well-geared, well-designed, well-played character and (b) you are willing to get killed many times in order to complete the quest. (Note that some quests have a "lockout" which means that if you go back to town, you cannot re-enter the quest area.)

(3) Note that in sharp contrast to classic D2 on the Battle.Net realms (etc.), "Non-Ladder" play in Median is really not significantly inferior to playing "On The Ladder". You can still do most of the quests if you don't need the vanity value of being ranked on the Ladder for your character class -- which is pretty difficult to do if you don't play all the time, as past about Level 120, the number of experience points that you need to advance in level becomes astronomical, so the higher-level characters in each class tend to be people who live, eat and breathe Median (I'm not saying that this is necessarily a "bad" thing... it's just a "thing").

(4) With each major patch of the core Median game (the most recent of which was version 1.7x), the game often changes considerably, for example in Patch 1.7 the Druid character was largely overhauled with many of its skills changed. On the one hand this does provide a different and new playing experience with new patches. On the other, it can be kind of disconcerting to find that your carefully-built Median character (note that the character would now be "Non-Ladder" since these patches usually coincide with Ladder resets, at least on TSW) now has all of his or her skills changed in a manner that cripples the character's game viability. (For the latter issue, there are various ways, like the Akara A1 quest reward or the elusive "Belladonna" potions, to "reset" your character so that the stat points and skill points can be appropriately redistributed... but this is not always easily available, especially if the character has undergone these patch-based modifications beforehand.)

With the above in mind, however, Median is still a pretty good game, and it certainly is a great value for the cost of a D2 license.
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Welcome, I recommend joining the discord and posting in the noobie help section as you encounter issues.
Javalad
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
Mr_Bill wrote:

(1) The game is suicidally un-playable in Hardcore, past about Act 3 in Nightmare.

What absolute nonsense. It may be that YOU can't get past level 3 NM but that doesn't mean others can't. Have a look at the Hardcore ladders. I guarantee these people at the top didn't get to these levels playing act 3 nightmare.