Phalanx Is An Awful Skill. Change My Mind.

Discuss Median XL!
MeatSlinger3000
Sasquatch
67 | 4
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Fun fact: I have max FCR on my Amazon for spamming Phalanx against bosses. For anyone who doesn't know, the reason you need max FCR to even attempt to make Phalanx a viable bossing skill is because only about a 1/4 of the projectiles spawned from this skill will hit their target (liberal estimate, a more accurate figure would be around 1/8th).

It's the year of our lord 2020, and we're still developing skills in ARPG's with 1990's era minion AI. Just stop it. Rework this god awful skill.
Berkabus1
Grubber
331 | 20
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
MeatSlinger3000 wrote:Fun fact: I have max FCR on my Amazon for spamming Phalanx against bosses. For anyone who doesn't know, the reason you need max FCR to even attempt to make Phalanx a viable bossing skill is because only about a 1/4 of the projectiles spawned from this skill will hit their target (liberal estimate, a more accurate figure would be around 1/8th).

It's the year of our lord 2020, and we're still developing skills in ARPG's with 1990's era minion AI. Just stop it. Rework this god awful skill.

Did not know you need fcr for that skill.
Bliyadolubov
Grubber
314 | 10
There was a time when bosses were much stronger, and before that time there was a time when bosses had immunity shield to ALL damage (not purify dependent, shield was dropping randomly to 1 source of damage for a 0.5 - 1 second, it was a long fight) It was a punishment to kill them once.
Acry
Pit Knight
109 | 3
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Well that's not why you need fcr. Fcr = if youre good at placing phalanx you can stack it many many times for alot of damage. More so than most classes can ever do.

Phalanx Is an amazing skill it just takes some learning how to place it.
MeatSlinger3000
Sasquatch
67 | 4
Great Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Acry, the sheer amount of misinformation you share in these forums is annoying. I even blocked you, yet you're still able to comment on my post.:scratch:

"if youre good at placing phalanx you can stack it many many times for alot of damage"

-- Half true. This only applies in a scenario wherein what you're attacking stands still within the Phalanx minion's specific targetable line of sight...if what your attacking doesn't fit that criteria, then it doesn't get hit. This almost never happens in end-game boss fights wherein what you're fighting moves out of the line of sight of your Phalanx minions just as fast as you can cast them. Throughout the span of any given end-game boss encounter, only a small fraction of your Phalanx's total projectiles fired hit their target. Bossing with Phalanx is like role playing as a chicken with it's head cut off. It's god awful.

Phalanx is an ass skill bound to an outdated minion mechanic. It has no place in any actively played & updated ARPG of the current era.
Yeahsper
Cog
224 | 14
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Sounds like a l2p issue if you can't place phalanxes correctly.
MeatSlinger3000
Sasquatch
67 | 4
Great Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
And don't get me started on the oh so common scenario wherein the boss you're fighting situates himself in damn corner where your Phalanx's can't hit him.

Dear god, the idea that anyone would even attempt to defend this piss poor skill makes me cringe out of my skin.
MeatSlinger3000
Sasquatch
67 | 4
Great Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Yeahsper wrote:Sounds like a l2p issue if you can't place phalanxes correctly.

Irrational fanboy #2 spotted.

You and this other kid are commenting on Phalanx as if the bosses are just standing still, situated in a favorable environment for your Phalanx's position to be relevant for damage for an extended period of time. This is a fairytale. Most bosses move out of the line of sight of your Phalanx as fast as you can cast them.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
I too hated phalanx when i played bowzon, but after watching Wulf's videos in the guide, i had to realize that its actually really good. If you don't like it, go play something else, and move on with your life and stop shittalking everybody who doesnt share your opinion.
Lynderika
Grubber
316 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
How is having only 1/8 of the attacks hit a problem if in the end the damage is the same? I don't even understand your point, honestly.
It's a good bossing skill, that have it's strength in his range. The fact that it scales with cast rate is weird but then of course you have to max the speed of the attack you need, it's a base mechanic of the game.
What IA are you talking about? There's no IA involved, they just attack in the same direction and in the same way everytime. If all you want is auto aimed skills, use wyrmshot more I don't know, there's way enough skills like theses in the game, whereas unique mechanique like phalanx are... unique. Not necessarly interesting for you, but interesting to keep.
I personnaly don't like bowzon in general at all, so can you imagine what I do? Yes indeed, I play others build. Incredible right?