My journeys through this mod, SP and MP

Discuss Median XL!
DiabloDwarf
Rust Claw
86 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
So I've been playing for a few days now, and I'm really having fun with this. SP is cool, MP hasn't been too bad, though today has been laggy as hell on GS 13. I'm going to post observations and screenshots of my journeys on both sides. One observation I have is that most people here on the forums seem focused on end game content. There doesn't seem to be a lot of attention paid to the very beginning of the game, which is where I need the most help. My TSW bowazon is level 19, at the Outer Cloister waypoint. That's the farthest I've taken a character in any incarnation of this mod. My SP bowazon found this little beauty almost right out of the Rogue Encampent.Image
Bliyadolubov
Grubber
314 | 10
DiabloDwarf wrote:So I've been playing for a few days now, and I'm really having fun with this. SP is cool, MP hasn't been too bad, though today has been laggy as hell on GS 13. I'm going to post observations and screenshots of my journeys on both sides. One observation I have is that most people here on the forums seem focused on end game content. There doesn't seem to be a lot of attention paid to the very beginning of the game, which is where I need the most help. My TSW bowazon is level 19, at the Outer Cloister waypoint. That's the farthest I've taken a character in any incarnation of this mod. My SP bowazon found this little beauty almost right out of the Rogue Encampent.Image

Cool, duuude! You are so lucky
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
DiabloDwarf wrote: There doesn't seem to be a lot of attention paid to the very beginning of the game, which is where I need the most help. Image

The vanilla portions of this game can be facerolled almost blindly - which is why you will not see much discussion about the beginning of the game - what specifically are you struggling with?
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
85 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
I'm assuming you are playing Softcore, in which case, you should pretty much cruise through the entire game up to about A4-15 in Nightmare, where the monsters (and other hazards) start to become very dangerous.

HOW "dangerous", do you ask?

Well, for example, this morning, my Bow Druid -- who has about 9K hit points when using Steady Shot (which gives a temporary skill buff) , and who has 77% fire and lightening resist (and a little physical resist, too) -- was wandering across the Frozen Tundra in Nightmare, and he got blanketed by bombardments by those damn fire catapults (they throw the little cluster mines on the ground) and lightening catapults (the ones that drop charged bolts on you).

Bam! 3500 hit points left, after ONE (1) SECOND of this nonsense. Which means (if you think about it), since the character is only taking 0.25% of the damage theoretically being done, it must mean that (dividing the damage by 2 as two different attacks were involved), each attack was doing approximately 11,000 points of raw fire / lightening damage.

That's what awaits you, my friend.

Oh... and my Druid is Hardcore, of course. I'm a masochist. :-]
DiabloDwarf
Rust Claw
86 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
One thing I'm struggling with is how to gear my characters at the very beginning of the game. What should I be looking for for each character class in Normal difficulty? Are there charms?
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
The reason is early game is pretty easy as the only thing that matters here are resistances. That's all you need to focus on.

What to pick up:
Jewels, Rings, Amulets, Rare items. Focus on resist on all of those items to have a rather easy time. Also don't forget to make a
Rainbow
Rainbow
Belts

'Eth'
Runeword Level: 15
+5% to Spell Damage
+(6 to 10)% to Summoned Minion Resistances
Regenerate Mana +(5 to 10)%
Elemental Resists +(10 to 15)%
(6 to 8)% Magic Find
+2 to Light Radius
for up to 20 all resists and using the armor that you get as a reward for the cain quest from akara for up to 15 all resists.
You can also pick up some Gems to fix the resistances that you didn't get from your gear if you want, which is mostly poison resist.
Aside from that you only need to pick up uniques.

Once you can go to mephisto, farm him for uniques in order to get arcane crystals, which allows you to create the unique items you need for your build. You can check uniques here: https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/tiereduniques
I'd advice making at least 1 weapon and 1 body armor unique, since you need the latter for the level challenge, and the first for damage output obviously, though I usually make everything unique aside from 1 slot for a potential honorific which you can get in act 5. It's important to fix your resistances, save stat points and other things like that. Btw you can get to level 43 just farming mephisto.

Once you are done with farming your gear up to Tier 2-3 (watch out for increased level requirement on uniques of a higher tier), go through normal difficulty, picking up only uniques, gems, rings, amulets and jewels.

The only jewels worth keeping are jewels that give -10% requirement at your stage of the game. Though I don't think they drop at that point yet. Later on you want to keep jewels with ilvl 99 for jewel crafting later on.

Just progress casually through normal and nightmare with those items. That's it. There's not much of a challenge here aside from Diablo and Baal on nightmare.
DiabloDwarf
Rust Claw
86 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
sP Amazon is now in the Black Marsh. I looked at the SSF Bowazon guide, and there are questions. Why should I keep my strength down and only equip basic srmor until late game? Won't tht make the 'zon squishy? How often should I visit Gheed? What should I focus on there?
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
You will want to use a lvl 18 skill called '' Ecstatic Frenzy''. It basically adds magic damage and attack speed. The main drawback is that it sets your defense to zero.

So the defense value of any armor is therefore pointless. Better put more points into dexterity to get higher damage.

Focus on getting the dexterity requirement to gamble an Reflex Bow as stated in the guide. Gheed should start selling them in the gamble screen around lvl 18.
revolut1oN
Lava Lord
94 | 2
You pump all of your points into dexterity, because that's what matters most for bowzon.
Strength doesn't give you that much since most of bowzons use Escatic Frenzy as a skill of choice, meaning that your defense will always be 0, therefore you don't need fancy armours with high defense values and high requirements.
Vitality has extremely poor value for investment for an Amazon since they don't get that much HP per Vitality point.
Energy, not needed, mana cost of skills is not high and none of your skills scale with it.
Dexterity = more damage.

You just visit Gheed if you feel like gambling which is basically useless later or you wanna buy some mystic orbs.

EDIT: Sorry, the answer above already covers that.
DiabloDwarf
Rust Claw
86 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
I just did Charsi's quest. What do I imbue?
Edit: I found my first unique! Image