Some noobish questions, pls, new to this mode

Discuss Median XL!
TheOldBarbarian
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hi guys !
I am a veteran Diablo fan. I am 33 y old and I played D II a lot from the first month after Lord of Destruction was released. However, I left it at some point. I have not played for about 6 years but I wish to return to this great game. I tried Grim Dawn and it is OK but it IS NOT DIABLO. I hear about this Diablo mod online /a lot/, so I am here now. I have a lot of experience with all classic chars, I have never played only one type of hero /it was the Ele Druid which is not fun for me, so I never tried him, but I have done all else in D II LoD basically / Of course , as far as Median XL goes I am very very noobish.

I have read info about it , of course.
However, I do not understand several things , while reading the website ... Please, clarify. :oops:

1. Is this not a totally new game in fact ? / compared to the classic LoD / :?:

2. Is it impossible to access the old skills , I mean I d like to use a barb with the new skills for example but also I would like to use concentrate / WW for ex. ?? I mean I am willing to try new stuff but is it a verymega super hyper different way to play in this mod /game , if one compares it to LoD ?

3. Do you guys feel that many of the chars in Median XL with the new skill system seem very very far from the original idea , i.e.now people might go for a melee sorceress... I might be conservative but I was like : A melee sorceress ?! W T F LOL ??... Where is the Hyrda skill for example ? :)

4. Is this mode very very hard compared to the classical game ? I do not feel like spending 1 hour killing Blood raven on normal, so I just ask now, before inst. this. Do not hate me for NOT being willing to be a superhardcore hack and slach RPG gamer.

5. Is it possible to use PlugY here for an endless chest shared by all characters ?

6. Is there an item combo from the old times that is still usable and strong now ? Or is there a totally new item theory now ?

7. How much time does a strong Barb need to level from 99 to 100 <? If I need to spend 2 months playing every day to get from 100 to 101 lv I would like to know.

Otherwise, I am very happy the Diablo legacy is still kicking and people play such games.

P.s. I am mostly a Aoe 2 and WarCr III guy with a lot exp in Star Craft 2 but now I do need a nice hack and slash RPG ! So I would be happy to start Median XL and I wish to express gratitude to the devs / hardcore gamers who worked or are now still working on this mod :D
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
I can't believe this was written by a 33 year old man. This is something a 14 year old pubescent boy would write.
Complaining about the skills in a mod? Let me tell you that this is one of the first mods to have completely different take on everything. If you dont like it maybe you should stick to playing boring old clod.
Too hard? Stick to clod.
How can you say the game is too hard or judge it when you havent even played it? Thats the thing that really annoyed me and to be frank your thread doesnt even deserve the response, but I got really annoyed that a 33 old man would write such a childish post.
Maybe watch a stream or two. There are plenty of videos on youtube. Numerous guides etc. Just play the game...and instead you decided to dedicate an hour writing these hypotheticals.
akbugger
Pit Knight
101 | 3
TheOldBarbarian wrote:Hi guys !

1. Is this not a totally new game in fact ? / compared to the classic LoD / :?:

2. Is it impossible to access the old skills , I mean I d like to use a barb with the new skills for example but also I would like to use concentrate / WW for ex. ?? I mean I am willing to try new stuff but is it a verymega super hyper different way to play in this mod /game , if one compares it to LoD ?

3. Do you guys feel that many of the chars in Median XL with the new skill system seem very very far from the original idea , i.e.now people might go for a melee sorceress... I might be conservative but I was like : A melee sorceress ?! W T F LOL ??... Where is the Hyrda skill for example ? :)

4. Is this mode very very hard compared to the classical game ? I do not feel like spending 1 hour killing Blood raven on normal, so I just ask now, before inst. this. Do not hate me for NOT being willing to be a superhardcore hack and slach RPG gamer.

5. Is it possible to use PlugY here for an endless chest shared by all characters ?

6. Is there an item combo from the old times that is still usable and strong now ? Or is there a totally new item theory now ?

7. How much time does a strong Barb need to level from 99 to 100 <? If I need to spend 2 months playing every day to get from 100 to 101 lv I would like to know.

Otherwise, I am very happy the Diablo legacy is still kicking and people play such games.

1) no
2) it's impossible but u won't miss them
3) I don't care
4) no. Its not hard until lvl 115 I think
5)no, but u can mule
6) u have docs online
7) from 99 to 100? 2 minutes XD. You'll level up really quickly in this mod, at least up to 105-110.
Diaco
Void Archon
883 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
All those questions answer themselves in literally one hour of gameplay.
revolut1oN
Lava Lord
94 | 2
Wotan, you high or what >.<
Where did he say the game IS too hard? This is just a set of questions and nothing disrespectful. Maybe just deal with the fact that some people might like different gameplay than you or me?

Now, for the answers.
1. Its very much different than LoD, but in a better way.
2. All of the skills are new altough there are some left-overs from LoD like WW, although redesigned.
3. Melee sorc was a thing even in clod. If you dont like innovations though then just play Clod.
4. Its hard. Most of the content is doable by casual but last 2-3 encounters require a lot of commitment.
5. No, but you have offline tools for Median with exact same purpose.
6. No, brand new items
7.99-100 is quick, leveling is quick except for final levels, which means 140-150
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Diaco wrote:All those questions answer themselves in literally one hour of gameplay.

This.

revolut1oN wrote:Wotan, you high or what >.<
Where did he say the game IS too hard? This is just a set of questions and nothing disrespectful. Maybe just deal with the fact that some people might like different gameplay than you or me?

I am glad you missed the point.
Taem
Necrobot
2473 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
TheOldBarbarian wrote:Hi guys !
1. Is this not a totally new game in fact ?
2. Is it impossible to access the old skills?
3. Do you guys feel that many of the chars in Median XL with the new skill system seem very very far from the original idea?
4. Is this mode very very hard compared to the classical game ?
7. How much time does a strong Barb need to level from 99 to 100?

1. It's not a "new" game. It's a mod (not a mode) that modifies many aspects of the original experience. You need the original game and expansion to play this mod.
2. Yes, it is mostly impossible except through some special uniques/relics that may have some of the old skills (not many).
3. It is a mod, and the skills have not only been completely changed, but the way the skill trees function is also entirely different. You will enjoy MXL way more than classic, and will eventually realize MXL is what classic should have been all along!
4. Its only slightly more difficult at the start, but becomes progressively more difficult by Hell difficulty in that without max resists for example, you will die. You must prepare more in this mod, and defense actually matters, however I wouldn't even worry about that until at least Nightmare difficulty. Once you get to Hell, you will have a firm grasp of the game and will better understand what you need to progress and from that point, you can begin to focus on ubers and gear upgrades at that time.
5. No unfortunately. Although both the chest, cube, and character inventory are all 2-3x larger than classic.
6. Item combo? Like sets? Every single item is new in MXL, nothing from classic. You will have to experiment.
7. From 99 to 100? Possibly less than 1-hr grinding the right areas. Potentially far longer if in the wrong areas or doing casual play.

Hope that helps :D
TheOldBarbarian
Skeleton
2 | 0
Thanks a lot people , not including the low IQ troll . I will inst. this one and try it out :) The summon- based barb looks like fun :) The pikazon options are also great in my view. I will try one of those
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Item #7: max level in this game is 150. I think the intent of your question would be that final level, 149 to 150. Not many people have ever done it. It takes ages.

If for some reason you actually are wondering about 99-100, it takes literally like 15 minutes.

Here is a forum page for good starter builds.
viewtopic.php?t=45921