Best char and build for going SSF in HC for the first time?

Discuss Median XL!
Javalad
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
Mr_Bill wrote:
Javalad wrote:Ignore Mr Bill. he seems to be bitter about the fact he didn't sail through HC.

Just check out the HC ladder to see why his comments are nonsense.

Should I say, "Just ignore 'Javalad', because his comments are nonsense"? (I can repeat ad hominem put-downs just as well as you can.)

You could indeed say to ignore my comment, but I at least am speaking from experience. Almost all the small group of players regularly playing HC could take any char class and more or less guarantee they would get them to at least level 100. Most are far better players than I am, and I would happily put money on reaching that level fairly easily. So it all comes down to one thing.......

Here's a little story for you.

"A Fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine trained along the branches of a tree. The grapes seemed ready to burst with juice, and the Fox’s mouth watered as he gazed longingly at them.

The bunch hung from a high branch, and the Fox had to jump for it. The first time he jumped he missed it by a long way. So he walked off a short distance and took a running leap at it, only to fall short once more. Again and again he tried, but in vain.

Now he sat down and looked at the grapes in disgust.

“What a fool I am,” he said. “Here I am wearing myself out to get a bunch of sour grapes that are not worth gaping for.”

And off he walked very, very scornfully.

Moral

There are many who pretend to despise and belittle that which is beyond their reach.

Aesop
kakaraposa
King of Ice Cream
113 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
And 5 minutes after the fox walk away, the grapes fell down to ground xD
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
87 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Javalad wrote:
Mr_Bill wrote:
Javalad wrote:Ignore Mr Bill. he seems to be bitter about the fact he didn't sail through HC.

Should I say, "Just ignore 'Javalad', because his comments are nonsense"? (I can repeat ad hominem put-downs just as well as you can.)

You could indeed say to ignore my comment, but I at least am speaking from experience. Almost all the small group of players regularly playing HC could take any char class and more or less guarantee they would get them to at least level 100. Most are far better players than I am, and I would happily put money on reaching that level fairly easily. So it all comes down to one thing.......

"A Fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine trained along the branches of a tree. The grapes seemed ready to burst with juice, and the Fox’s mouth watered as he gazed longingly at them.

The bunch hung from a high branch, and the Fox had to jump for it. The first time he jumped he missed it by a long way. So he walked off a short distance and took a running leap at it, only to fall short once more. Again and again he tried, but in vain.

“What a fool I am,” he said. “Here I am wearing myself out to get a bunch of sour grapes that are not worth gaping for.”

Moral

There are many who pretend to despise and belittle that which is beyond their reach.

Aesop

Of course, other than for the patronizing put-downs (did you think I've never encountered Aesop?), you have no valid response to what I was actually saying (as opposed to the weak "Straw Man" parody of it, that you and some others are promoting).

For example, I currently have a level 105 Unholy Caster Paladin on the HC ladder (I am trying to get him set up to have even a chance of surviving the fight against Nightmare Baal), and I have frequently gotten other Hardcore characters to this point and into Hell. I never claimed that doing this was impossible (it clearly isn't, since I have done it, multiple times, myself). I play both SC and HC characters, incidentally (although more of the latter).

What I DID claim -- and what is plainly true and what I will re-state -- is that for a player of AVERAGE skill, AVERAGE gear, AVERAGE luck and (particularly) a somewhat reasonable amount of time devoted to playing Median (as opposed to "playing the game obsessively, every spare waking moment"), you are going to find Hardcore Median a very unsatisfying experience, especially past the middle of Nightmare mode (that is unless you like the "thrill" of always being worried about your character being one- or two-shotted by some random thing... could be Thunderbolts and their delightful little lightening bolts, or could be Cruciators, or could be Grizzly Giants and that fun clobber they can lay on you... there are many, many such things, and we haven't even started with the Uberquests). (Latest example noted : "How Normal Diablo drops a Flamestrike on your character, the second that he appears after triggering the seals in the Chaos Sanctuary". Of course, you just move out of the way, the instant that you see him. What if you weren't anticipating this? Whoops! There goes your Hardcore character, in Act 4 Normal mode. He never gets me that way anymore, but for Pete's sake... what if it's the first time you're playing Median? I don't understand how people can't see how this could lead to an "unsatisfying" game experience.)

Particularly in the later difficulty levels, and in some areas (the Frozen Tundra and the Kurasts come to mind), some types of monsters move so fast that no computer or network connection can properly even display their position on your screen; you blink and that mob that was on the other edge of the map, 1 second ago, is now dropping a Shower of Rocks on your head. It is just a matter of time before one or more of these situations is going to result in your demise, as sure as night follows day. I build all my Median characters on the assumption that this is going to happen, but it is no fun when you have prepared as best as anyone reasonably can (e.g. HP, FHR, minions, resists, etc.) and you still get 1- or 2-shotted.

The bottom line is, the game -- and the way it is set up to "challenge" characters -- is based on the assumption that sooner or later (probably sooner), you will get insta-killed, by something that you couldn't reasonably have prepared to defend yourself against. That is, the game is meant to be played in Softcore (only). No amount of contrived protestations to the contrary, is going to change that essential set of facts.
Ekital
Grubber
310 | 11
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Mr_Bill wrote:
Javalad wrote:
Mr_Bill wrote:

Moral

Aesop

Of course, other than for the patronizing put-downs (did you think I've never encountered Aesop?), you have no valid response to what I was actually saying (as opposed to the weak "Straw Man" parody of it, that you and some others are promoting).

For example, I currently have a level 105 Unholy Caster Paladin on the HC ladder (I am trying to get him set up to have even a chance of surviving the fight against Nightmare Baal), and I have frequently gotten other Hardcore characters to this point and into Hell. I never claimed that doing this was impossible (it clearly isn't, since I have done it, multiple times, myself). I play both SC and HC characters, incidentally (although more of the latter).

What I DID claim -- and what is plainly true and what I will re-state -- is that for a player of AVERAGE skill, AVERAGE gear, AVERAGE luck and (particularly) a somewhat reasonable amount of time devoted to playing Median (as opposed to "playing the game obsessively, every spare waking moment"), you are going to find Hardcore Median a very unsatisfying experience, especially past the middle of Nightmare mode (that is unless you like the "thrill" of always being worried about your character being one- or two-shotted by some random thing... could be Thunderbolts and their delightful little lightening bolts, or could be Cruciators, or could be Grizzly Giants and that fun clobber they can lay on you... there are many, many such things, and we haven't even started with the Uberquests). (Latest example noted : "How Normal Diablo drops a Flamestrike on your character, the second that he appears after triggering the seals in the Chaos Sanctuary". Of course, you just move out of the way, the instant that you see him. What if you weren't anticipating this? Whoops! There goes your Hardcore character, in Act 4 Normal mode. He never gets me that way anymore, but for Pete's sake... what if it's the first time you're playing Median? I don't understand how people can't see how this could lead to an "unsatisfying" game experience.)

Particularly in the later difficulty levels, and in some areas (the Frozen Tundra and the Kurasts come to mind), some types of monsters move so fast that no computer or network connection can properly even display their position on your screen; you blink and that mob that was on the other edge of the map, 1 second ago, is now dropping a Shower of Rocks on your head. It is just a matter of time before one or more of these situations is going to result in your demise, as sure as night follows day. I build all my Median characters on the assumption that this is going to happen, but it is no fun when you have prepared as best as anyone reasonably can (e.g. HP, FHR, minions, resists, etc.) and you still get 1- or 2-shotted.

The bottom line is, the game -- and the way it is set up to "challenge" characters -- is based on the assumption that sooner or later (probably sooner), you will get insta-killed, by something that you couldn't reasonably have prepared to defend yourself against. That is, the game is meant to be played in Softcore (only). No amount of contrived protestations to the contrary, is going to change that essential set of facts.

Why are you assuming that hardcore mode is supposed to be played by total novices to the mod??

It's meant to be a mode for advanced players hence why it was called "hard"core in the fucking first place.

You just seem to be crying that the game is too hard for you yet you're too scared to even get to the endgame (farming to 105 in nightmare... like what). The true game doesn't start until 120 ubers anyway , Stop crying and get gud.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
No idea what Mr_Bill is talking about.

I have got every class to lvl 115 without dying, some beat all the 115 ubers too. 120 is the point when I start getting my ass kicked, mostly because I'm VERY lazy to upgrade my gear and play carelessly. Maybe with crafting right items, getting 400 signets, careful planning and playing I could beat them deathless too. I'm just too reckless and don't have interest/time for that.

If you die to NM/Hell Quill Rats or Cruciators you are just bad at dodging. Also every melee has some way to handle every situation, nec can use summons to distract, barb has superior def/HP and Thunderslam, assa is agile and has Blink etc. Then there are those OP mercs too to help you.
In normal game everything is about knowing what monsters can spawn and where + what skills they use. For example you know that Travincal is often full of Cruciators, way to Nihlathak Storm Shamans and Act4 end those invisible Molten Boulder-mobs (forgot the name) so you don't just mindlessly run around there. Later there are ubers that punish you for death even in SC, either by life regeneration or lockdown.

Even though I have played this mod on-off for ~12 years, I still consider myself as pretty much average player, and I sometime play drunk or high so reflexes aren't at their best either.

I think if you haven't beaten the game (by beaten I mean at least got to 120) two or three times, it is just plain stupidity to think you can survive hardcore for long.

On topic: What kind of build are you most familiar with? Caster, ranged or melee?
nobrainnopain
Heretic
405 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Jampula wrote:On topic: What kind of build are you most familiar with? Caster, ranged or melee?

Normally everything but melee.
But now I am trying a pala with mix of UHM and vessels wit vita only up from the beginning. Just got my first charm with lvl 106. Now i think I should try to improve my gear :)
Johnny Impak
Daystar
658 | 23
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Attempting a melee barb, just for the lolz. So far doing way better than I expected though. Starting A2 nightmare atm.

I came to a point that I don't have as much time to invest in this game than before, and singleplayer got boring over the years. HC is nice for short bursts of fun.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
nobrainnopain wrote:
Jampula wrote:On topic: What kind of build are you most familiar with? Caster, ranged or melee?

Normally everything but melee.
But now I am trying a pala with mix of UHM and vessels wit vita only up from the beginning. Just got my first charm with lvl 106. Now i think I should try to improve my gear :)

Sounds nice and good luck. :)
Dmg can be lacking at some point but keep us posted!

Johnny Impak wrote:Attempting a melee barb, just for the lolz. So far doing way better than I expected though. Starting A2 nightmare atm.

I came to a point that I don't have as much time to invest in this game than before, and singleplayer got boring over the years. HC is nice for short bursts of fun.

You should try playing with others over TCP/IP. Especially now that the dev team has done much to remove clutter, it was a mess to play in party few years ago.
batuuuu
Jungle Hunter
25 | 2
just play uhm, its easy to play and its strong too.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=40052 <-- here is the guide, its a bit outdated but it should be fine.
also a tip for hc, i wouldnt recommend doing these ubers:
yshari sanctum - while trying to farm the set pieces for this build the last zone has alot of fire absorbs, difficult to kill. doing the actual uber will kill u 100%
spirit world - this uber can become immune to dmg and can bum fuck u hard, wouldn't attempt
any 130+ uber - yeah guys lets do uldy, laz and void on hc
any 135 uber - sam & deimoss on hc viable?
Diaco
Void Archon
883 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
batuuuu wrote:just play uhm, its easy to play and its strong too.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=40052 <-- here is the guide, its a bit outdated but it should be fine.
also a tip for hc, i wouldnt recommend doing these ubers:
yshari sanctum - while trying to farm the set pieces for this build the last zone has alot of fire absorbs, difficult to kill. doing the actual uber will kill u 100%
spirit world - this uber can become immune to dmg and can bum fuck u hard, wouldn't attempt
any 130+ uber - yeah guys lets do uldy, laz and void on hc
any 135 uber - sam & deimoss on hc viable?

I'd say uldy is totally doable deathless with some builds