Diablo 2 Resurrected

Discuss Median XL!
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
84 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Considering that the "default" total system RAM loadout for "standard" Windows 10 based PCs is 8 gigabytes, the fact that D2R apparently requires 16 GB (presumably "devoted" to itself, or at least largely to itself), likely means that after the "oohs" and "aahs" about the game's graphics have subsided (and after people begin to realize that the basic, antiquated D2 LoD game engine, skill choices, quests, etc., are basically the same as they were 10 to 20 years ago), the game's popularity will end up being much less than Blizzard's hype machine has so far led us to believe.

D2R is basically "old wine in a spiffy new bottle". Which is a shame, because it could easily have been made SO much better. But then again, remember, unlike Median, this is not a game made "by gamers, for gamers". D2R is a piece of unimaginative, marketing-oriented corporate-designed bloatware designed to squeeze more profit out of a very old game engine. It sure looks good, but I'll take a pass on it, as I suspect many others also will.
Wasp
Balrog
130 | 43
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
yeah, D2R is 100% a cashgrab.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Dadplaysgames4 wrote:

Yeah I convinced a couple of friends to play median as well. Unfortunately they all left after act 1 normal because they said: "This game doesn't look good." and "this game isn't up-to-date with normal QoL elements seen in other games"

[/quote]

I don't get it either. Iv'e had a few try out mxl and quit for pretty much the same reason, or it is flat out too difficult for them (lmfao just Duncraig-Teganze) What is more frustrating is that these same people ask for "more content" from the mods that they play (PoD-PD2) when in reality the other mods should or already have taken ideas from mxl.

The thing is, this mod isn't for all "d2 players." With that being said the content here is challenging enough to even drive away semi-experienced players. But it's also shitty that they can't have "fun" just playing the mod, when they will go and do that for the others.

I also believe that there is just too much attention/over-hype for D2R, when those that bought the nostalgia cash-grab are bored after another 10000000000 Baal runs and maybe some ubers: they will be looking for a mod to play.

8-) 2.0 coming, can't wait[/quote]
"Looking for a mod to play" is really the reason they're making it. Games like Median XL have shown that Blizzard's design team were a bit rubbish at the content side of things, but they hit the spot with the look and feel.

So they have quite rightly set out to avoid updating content, leaving that to people who do that (much) better. They even left the old graphics in there so that it can also be used as a "moddable old d2" if the new graphics don't appeal. And they've realised that since Blizzard North days they've failed in the look-and-feel department too (D3 was too cartoony). It looks as if D4 may have the wrong end of the stick as well in trying to have "a darker feel" - D1 and D2 were not about being "dark", they were about atmosphere - you could feel the suspense in many places.

So they are covering all the bases for modders, cashing in on providing the platform for old d2 graphics-based mods and new d2 graphics and (they hope) killing off the d2 hacking in the process.

Given the limitations of Blizzard design these days, that's probably the best thing they could do.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Dadplaysgames4 wrote:I don't get it either. Iv'e had a few try out mxl and quit for pretty much the same reason, or it is flat out too difficult for them (lmfao just Duncraig-Teganze) What is more frustrating is that these same people ask for "more content" from the mods that they play (PoD-PD2) when in reality the other mods should or already have taken ideas from mxl.

The thing is, this mod isn't for all "d2 players." With that being said the content here is challenging enough to even drive away semi-experienced players. But it's also shitty that they can't have "fun" just playing the mod, when they will go and do that for the others.

I also believe that there is just too much attention/over-hype for D2R, when those that bought the nostalgia cash-grab are bored after another 10000000000 Baal runs and maybe some ubers: they will be looking for a mod to play.

8-) 2.0 coming, can't wait

"Looking for a mod to play" is really the reason they're making it - they know that people won't play old d2 content for long but...

Games like Median XL have shown that Blizzard's design team were a bit rubbish at the content side of things, but with D1/D2 they hit the spot with the look and feel.

So they have quite rightly set out to avoid updating content, leaving that to people who do that (much) better. And they've realised that since Blizzard North days they've failed in the look-and-feel department too (D3 was too cartoony) so they even left the old graphics in there as well, so that it can also be used as a "moddable old d2" if the new graphics don't appeal.

N.B. It looks as if D4 may have the wrong end of the stick as well in trying to have "a darker feel" - D1 and D2 were not about being "dark", they were about atmosphere - you could feel the suspense in many places.

So they are covering all the bases for modders, cashing in on providing the platform for old d2 graphics-based mods and new d2 graphics and (they hope) killing off the d2 hacking in the process.

Given the limitations of Blizzard design these days, that's probably the best thing they could do.
ElfenTaiga
Dark Huntress
14 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Mr_Bill wrote:Considering that the "default" total system RAM loadout for "standard" Windows 10 based PCs is 8 gigabytes, the fact that D2R apparently requires 16 GB (presumably "devoted" to itself, or at least largely to itself), likely means that after the "oohs" and "aahs" about the game's graphics have subsided (and after people begin to realize that the basic, antiquated D2 LoD game engine, skill choices, quests, etc., are basically the same as they were 10 to 20 years ago), the game's popularity will end up being much less than Blizzard's hype machine has so far led us to believe.

I don't quite get the RAM point. If you look at Steams hardware survey 16gb+ comprises over half of all steam users (And trust me when I say a lot of Steam users are playing on not great setups). It just doesn't strike me as a really crazy requirement. We're steadily reaching the point where it is just standard.
Wulf
Onyx Knight
648 | 120
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Wasp wrote:yeah, D2R is 100% a cashgrab.

hey man, gotta be happy about these small conveniences :) auto gold pickup, shared stash, re-opning of cow portal after king death, no closing of anya portal after nihl death, ladder rw on sp, non-unique character names.

not to mention the very small (and probably impossible) chance of neutralising dupes/hacks/scripts/bots/bugged items.
Wasp
Balrog
130 | 43
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Day1 bots everywhere on launch
I bet 20€ on that
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Yey, time to revive my Pindleskin-bot.
The whole D2R is just a big joke, there are so many better games to play.
Wulf
Onyx Knight
648 | 120
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Wasp wrote:Day1 bots everywhere on launch
I bet 20€ on that

we can bet a friendly 20 tg. i think there arent going to be reliable bots that dont get banned within a week, for a least a couple of weeks/months.
but i do think there will probably be a handful of dupe tricks that will see the light of day and quickly get hotfixed.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Jampula wrote:Yey, time to revive my Pindleskin-bot.
The whole D2R is just a big joke, there are so many better games to play.

Lots of games, also lots of crap. Which games do you think are "better"? Note that you're here, playing a d2 mod on an old engine and graphics - so how good can those other games be?

As I said, I think D2R is intended to be a modern platform for d2 mods, it's not about playing the base d2 on new graphics. A mod with the creative qualities of Median XL would be worth playing imo.