Diablo 2 Resurrected

Discuss Median XL!
Aspirine101
Lesbimale™
374 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Captcha wrote:
Aspirine101 wrote:According to that post, they said they wouldn't support "injecting code" (code editing/dll editing). Sigma has tons of code edits, so if it won't be possible to do them, it will be a big problem and current median will most likely not get ported. However, not supporting it doesn't mean it won't be possible. It just means they will not do anything to make your life easier in that regard, while they will, on the other hand, "support" data (.txt) editing by making less things hardcoded so you can access them in the .txts.
In fact I don't see how they can disable code editing unless the game is unplayable without an online connection. The problem is that the dll files will be completely different, so you'll have to search all over again for the exact places to edit the hex values, which is very time consuming.

Note also that some of the existing code edits won't even be necessary with D2R, such as auto gold pickup and ctrl+clicking items, and maybe even less code edits will be necessary if they're softcoding some stuff.

So to sum it up, and I'm far from an expert in code editing so I apologize if I say something wrong here, but the way I see it is that code edits will still be possible, but since the .dll files will be different, the median team might not want to invest the huge amount of time required to actually do it.

If you're responding to my post, I think you may have missed the key point which is that they are exposing changeable aspects as data - this is so that modders don't need to inject code.

Yes, I did mention that when I said
Aspirine101 wrote:and maybe even less code edits will be necessary if they're softcoding some stuff.

However, no matter how much stuff they make available via .txts, there's definitely still gonna be things that you'll have to achieve with code editing. That's the problem.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Usually when PC-game is released as a multi-platform -console thingie it's a complete disaster. At least in the past. And as people said why would I want to re-live the tediousness of D2 when there is Median 2.0 to wait for? Yes nice graphics, yippee, if you want nice graphics maybe play something of this decade? I don't get how you get nostalgia from upgraded gfx and some little LoQ.

I myself hope Median will never be converted to this.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Aspirine101 wrote:However, no matter how much stuff they make available via .txts, there's definitely still gonna be things that you'll have to achieve with code editing. That's the problem.

I'm afraid that's not the case, as I said in my first post: they can expose as little or as much as they like (and btw .txt is almost certainly not the way they would do it in 2021 that's a bit old and clunky)...

When d2 was released, I don't think Blizz were ready for how much time people would invest in it - playing it, hacking it, trying to understand how it works (I mean, breakpoints are pretty unintuitive - you can put on a piece of gear that supposedly increases attack speed by X amount... and it actually makes no difference, because you don't reach a break point that's not mentioned anywhere). Nor did they allow for people intercepting TCP/IP packets to dupe items and all sorts of other stuff. So I suspect the D2R code will not be hackable - but it shouldn't need to be...

If it turns out that the modding base are not happy with what Blizzard expose, they'd just continue with old-style d2 and I'm sure Blizzard don't want that.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Curious bit of news I read:
> Diablo 2 Resurrected lets you import your original Diablo 2 saves
> Back when we were working on [the remaster], we wondered if the old save files would work, so we kind of shoved it in, and it worked! So yes, your local singleplayer save files will carry over.

Which implies that save file format is going to stay the same, and since that exact structure is used by files packed in .mpq packages there is a possibility D2 Resurrected can still be modded to a good degree without tapping into injecting code into .dll files.

Curious about how it turns out in the end. I've seen the alpha version gameplay and it looks really good, smooth on the eyes with that 60 fps, nice animations on all of the monsters and characters, but sounds are exactly what they've been before.

Probably wouldn't be possible to do any magic with 3d models, but maybe adding and wiring new ones also a possibility. I'm staying cautiously positive about potential modding of D2R.
ElfenTaiga
Dark Huntress
14 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Another bit of news but people that are digging into the files are finding transmog tags on all the items. So I guess D2R is going to get transmogging.
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ElfenTaiga wrote:Another bit of news but people that are digging into the files are finding transmog tags on all the items. So I guess D2R is going to get transmogging.

Tbh... I dig it
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
SteelWings wrote:Curious bit of news I read:
> Diablo 2 Resurrected lets you import your original Diablo 2 saves
> Back when we were working on [the remaster], we wondered if the old save files would work, so we kind of shoved it in, and it worked! So yes, your local singleplayer save files will carry over.

Which implies that save file format is going to stay the same, and since that exact structure is used by files packed in .mpq packages there is a possibility D2 Resurrected can still be modded to a good degree without tapping into injecting code into .dll files.

Curious about how it turns out in the end. I've seen the alpha version gameplay and it looks really good, smooth on the eyes with that 60 fps, nice animations on all of the monsters and characters, but sounds are exactly what they've been before.

Probably wouldn't be possible to do any magic with 3d models, but maybe adding and wiring new ones also a possibility. I'm staying cautiously positive about potential modding of D2R.

Perhaps we’ll see some Pillars of Eternity/Divinity models
Arundel
Prowler
19 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Myxir wrote:Image

Imo this graphic is awful, feel like many mods have better textures than that, but its just maybe me :derp:

But the one change that I really like is shared stash.

The 2d art is GOD AWFUL, but the graphics outside of inventory are amazing. They did such a bad job with the 2d art it's kinda crazy
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
What's crazy is D2R is supposed to be a "remaster" and "upgrade" over the original, yet they did absolutly nothing to improve game-play other than adding a shared stash. Yes, those antiquated 2d inventory look so pathetic because we are so used to Sigma's increased inventory size. Why wouldn't the developers of this remaster actually add in features being requested for years? I'm sure they had great intentions, but the outcome is highly disappointing and adds virtually nothing over the original, except some eye-candy. Not to mention, that Amazon looks like the local hooker down the street, worn out and tired.

https://diablo2.blizzard.com/en-us/#masthead
Imperius
Gravedigger
182 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Taem wrote:What's crazy is D2R is supposed to be a "remaster" and "upgrade" over the original, yet they did absolutly nothing to improve game-play other than adding a shared stash. Yes, those antiquated 2d inventory look so pathetic because we are so used to Sigma's increased inventory size. Why wouldn't the developers of this remaster actually add in features being requested for years? I'm sure they had great intentions, but the outcome is highly disappointing and adds virtually nothing over the original, except some eye-candy. Not to mention, that Amazon looks like the local hooker down the street, worn out and tired.

https://diablo2.blizzard.com/en-us/#masthead

They already said that they want to bring the same experience as the old game.