Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Misunderstanding of your last line in previous post

I know some people here hate blizzard so much that i dont want to spend any money to buy their game.
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
There's too much left to speculation right now. Nothing in depth was said and in my opinion that is a bad prelude of the things to come, especially considering that the modding landscape is the 2nd biggest reason for D2 retention. One would expect of them to mentions the hypothetical creation of offical moding tools and their capabilities, an official nexus for mods and/or how private realm could potentially fit in all of this... I've heard nothing.
So far I haven't seen a single thing that would hint even slightly at the possibility of MXL to be ported/re-made for D2R. A plug&play approach is completely out of the question, the mod also rely heavily on custom assets, code and additional areas, how all of this would translate in a D2R enviroment? very poorly or most likely it simply would not.
For example, how the 3D component would affect the introduction of a new monster or spell? the sprites would need 3D models counterparts to work or is the other way around (engine converts 3D into sprites)? Just thinking about rigging a model again gives me nausea.
I'd say that at this point in time there's zero chance for sigma to be expected as a mod for D2R, even if we would want to reboot it from the ground up for whatever reason.

P.S.
The "purist" approach with which blizz is going about this is imho overall pretty idiotic if made the core tenet of this title life-cycle. To drag that over the first quarter of the year from the release would be a very confusing marketing move to put it softly.
Furthermore is even more puzzling someone defining him/her-self as "purist"; D2 had a long cycle of patches and some changed the experience quite a bit over the years (let alone with the expansion), don't wanting that to continue and improve on the awful flaws of the game is bizzarre. What being purist even means at this point? that one is emotionally attached to a patch version?
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
Bearded_DooD
Pit Knight
112 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Well i guess ActiBlizz is still scared what players/creators can make for / in their game, after those quite "specific" maps in W3R xD

And yeh i agree, if they wont add anything new to the D2R then what is the rly a point of makeing it? Right now there is like few hundret bots and couple of players who are still using Closed BN.

Oh well this company is dead to me anyway..
kaioken
Prowler
17 | 2
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
If the dev team finds out it's possible to port over and commits to doing it, I'm definitely making a large donation to help. Median3D would be awesome!
Frytas
Onyx Knight
614 | 97
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Would be nice if along with the remaster came further balance patches. If not then I don't really see the point of it, yeah the graphics are nice(except for the character models, those are ugly as hell because nowadays making a decent looking character is verboten, thx lefties), but there are entire skill trees that are not viable, and if nothing is done about it then it's just better to stick to mods which actually fix that issue or rectify it entirely by overhauling everything. Also the price tag is hilarious
npnl19
Destroyer
7 | 0
They also say that they would leave old client as it is (even separated their forums with "2001" tag).

Maybe this decision comes after Reforged experience, although when they Remastered StarCraft they also abandoned old client.

Well, this time we'll have our old D2 game, fine, but in that case seems silly not to make changes in a Remastered version, considering they continued to patch balance in WC3 for example, and as people have mention there were already big changes before in D2, like patch 1.10.

And unlike StarCraft, D2 is not balanced perfect to leave it untouched.. Single Player "as it is" is dull.. (at one point after one of the later patches some people from Blizzard suggested that "Hell" wasnt meant to be for Single, yet they now advertise offline mode, but not even ladder RW and etc.)

Looking at past remasters, their reasoning and decisions this time is a bit confusing.
Dreamhunter
Grubber
340 | 11
If it was a free game a would play it. A reward and a gift for all the players around the globe and their 20 years support. Damn you Blizzard, always about the money...
momope
Bone Archer
78 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
RequiemLux wrote:There's too much left to speculation right now. Nothing in depth was said and in my opinion that is a bad prelude of the things to come, especially considering that the modding landscape is the 2nd biggest reason for D2 retention. One would expect of them to mentions the hypothetical creation of offical moding tools and their capabilities, an official nexus for mods and/or how private realm could potentially fit in all of this... I've heard nothing.
So far I haven't seen a single thing that would hint even slightly at the possibility of MXL to be ported/re-made for D2R. A plug&play approach is completely out of the question, the mod also rely heavily on custom assets, code and additional areas, how all of this would translate in a D2R enviroment? very poorly or most likely it simply would not.
For example, how the 3D component would affect the introduction of a new monster or spell? the sprites would need 3D models counterparts to work or is the other way around (engine converts 3D into sprites)? Just thinking about rigging a model again gives me nausea.
I'd say that at this point in time there's zero chance for sigma to be expected as a mod for D2R, even if we would want to reboot it from the ground up for whatever reason.

P.S.
The "purist" approach with which blizz is going about this is imho overall pretty idiotic if made the core tenet of this title life-cycle. To drag that over the first quarter of the year from the release would be a very confusing marketing move to put it softly.
Furthermore is even more puzzling someone defining him/her-self as "purist"; D2 had a long cycle of patches and some changed the experience quite a bit over the years (let alone with the expansion), don't wanting that to continue and improve on the awful flaws of the game is bizzarre. What being purist even means at this point? that one is emotionally attached to a patch version?

MXL 2012 3D here we come
ragequit1337
Imp
5 | 0
Maybe the reason why Blizzard is "just" making a 3D overlay with a few basic QoL changes might be the fact that much of the source code/assets were corrupted/lost a month before the release of D2. They basically took what they could find from their pc's at home and put it together somehow. At least thats what the original creators of Diablo said, and thats why they said they believe a proper remaster of D2 is hardly and only with huge effort possible.

Not saying they dont put effort into this (i think recreating 27 minutes of cinematics is expensive), but i dont know if this is worth the price tag. I mean, this genre did evolve quite a bit gameplaywise over the last 20 years compared to other genres like RTS which are waay more forgiving in that regard imo. I just cant understand why they wont make a nice little remaster of one of their greatest games, Warcra.. :cry:
OrphineM
Gravedigger
188 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
kaioken wrote:If the dev team finds out it's possible to port over and commits to doing it, I'm definitely making a large donation to help. Median3D would be awesome!

Marco said in the discord that this is basically not going to happen.