Rainbow storm sorc build questions

Discuss Median XL!
creamypopcorn
Imp
5 | 0
Hi so i started playing median xl again yesterday and i m wondering is there any rainbow staff sorc build and is it worth it ? :bounce:
otarU1921
Sasquatch
60 | 7
creamypopcorn wrote:Hi so i started playing median xl again yesterday and i m wondering is there any rainbow staff sorc build and is it worth it ? :bounce:

Sorc should be good for Rainbow Storm build.
I played Rainbow Druid and it was pretty strong and had plenty of mf.

I didn't like how itemization was limited due to how the skill works.
There are very few items that fit well with the build, most of the items you will find even if they are caster focused might not be useful because energy, spell focus aren't helpful and poison spell damage also hurts.

Just remember which stats work and which don't on Rainbow Storm.
Remember that you can't mo Staff of Herding.
Remember that Staff of Herding has stat range. ( So you need to continually gather ingredients for the recipe to craft better staff of herding )
Remember that level is important for the skill damage because of the stat per level from the item.
Staff of Herding
Staff of Herding
Elder Staff
Required Level: 33
Item Level: 1
+1 to All Skills per 2 Socketed Rainbow Stones
10% Magic Find per Socketed Rainbow Stone
20% Movement Speed
(0.375 to 0.5)% to Fire Spell Damage (Based on Character Level)
(0.375 to 0.5)% to Lightning Spell Damage (Based on Character Level)
(0.375 to 0.5)% to Cold Spell Damage (Based on Character Level)
+3 to Rainbow Storm
+2 Life Regenerated per Second (Based on Character Level)
+(4.5 to 5.5) to Life (Based on Character Level)
+(3.75 to 4.25) to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Physical Resist 10%

Keep in mind that Bonus Spell Damage ( All Elements ) has "equal" effect to having two of the three trinity element bonus spell damage, because increasing poison spell damage reduces skill damage, so you end up trading one for one from the four elements you boosted.

So one item that boosts fire and cold spell damage by 20% might be better than one that boosts 15% all spell damage. Because the 15% from poison would reduce 15% from the 45% you receive from fire/cold/lightning, so you end up with "40%" vs "30%" bonus spell damage for Rainbow Storm.

Charms that give +x to all skills are really important.
Max Elemental Resist can be a problem because you insert tons of Rainbow Stones on the staff and you can't use shields too.

Wanted Attributes

- +x to All Skills
- Perfect Rainbow Stones ( Max 20 )
- Fire / Lightning / Cold Spell Damage
- Summoned Minion Resistance and Summoned Minion Life
- Faster Hit Recovery
- Faster Cast Rate
- Elemental and Physical Resists
- Elemental Absorb
- Max Life
- Avoid
- Movement Speed
- Buff Skills that increase Trinity Spell Damage or Spell Damage

Avoid Attributes

- Poison Spell Damage ( Reduces Rainbow Storm Damage )

Useless Attributes

- Energy ( Doesn't increase damage )
- Spell Focus ( Doesn't increase damage )
- Reducing Enemy Elemental Resistance ( Rainbow Storm deals Magic Damage based on your Trinity Spell Damage and Skill Level )
- Physical/Magic Spell Damage ( Doesn't work on Rainbow Storm )
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Note that Witchblood does not increase rainbow skills damage.
robomixor
Sasquatch
65 | 1
hi,
i do not think faster cast speed has an effect on rainbow because it has a cooldown (0,2)
also any rainbow gems should work just , perfects are not mandatory.
also it seems that magic absorb/immunes monsters resists more to rainbow. does -enemy magical resist could work?
otarU1921
Sasquatch
60 | 7
robomixor wrote:hi,
i do not think faster cast speed has an effect on rainbow because it has a cooldown (0,2)
also any rainbow gems should work just , perfects are not mandatory.
also it seems that magic absorb/immunes monsters resists more to rainbow. does -enemy magical resist could work?

If you are able to cast it faster, then you are able to cast it faster again faster.

Say if you take 0.4s to cast Rainbow Storm ( 10 frames ) + 0.2s to be able to cast it again.
To cast 10 Rainbow Storms you will need 5.8s.

If instead, you took 0.24s to cast Rainbow Storm ( 6 frames ) + 0.2s to be able to cast it again.
To cast 10 Rainbow Storms you will need 4.2s.

You could add 5 frames to your casting animation to account for the cooldown to make it easier.

This is how a dps difference could be perceived.

I think - enemy magic resist might work, but I don't think you can get that through item attributes? Maybe through OSkills or something, quite a long time since I last played...
BearBearderBarb
Pit Knight
115 | 7
IMO going endgame rainbow on non-druid is kind of waste. The build itself forces into really shitty gear setup, I was surprised to find out honorific boots were the endgame boots (at least you can easily roll 40% ms on these). It only works on druid well because he can get life/defence/avoid from the tree (while sorc has to compromise) and his innate spells are varying kinds of clunky delayed damage, but RS is instant and persistent. Pagan rites is also a big boost to RS and QoL to the fast gameplay. The main drawback you will always have problems with magic resistant enemies.
ShadowSlave
Acid Prince
48 | 0
Semigloss wrote:Note that Witchblood does not increase rainbow skills damage.

Things titled "x% to Spell Damage" does increase Rainbow Storm damage. This affix counts as a factor of 2 since the Poison spell damage negates one of the elements (+Fire, +Cold, +Lightning, -Poison).

*my mistake: This in regarding the spell Witchblood
Edited by ShadowSlave 2 years.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
ShadowSlave wrote:
Semigloss wrote:Note that Witchblood does not increase rainbow skills damage.

Things titled "x% to Spell Damage" does increase Rainbow Storm damage. This affix counts as a factor of 2 since the Poison spell damage negates one of the elements (+Fire, +Cold, +Lightning, -Poison).

It works only for sorc skills.