Best merc in 1.8?

Discuss Median XL!
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
So as the title says - who's the best merc in 1.8? I know it depends from our char and build, but i mean the merc that is most useful and/or deals highest damage. Survivability is less important cuz i think all mercs die quite fast in 120 lvl ubers and further.

I usually use Rogue Priestess, Shapshifter or Barbarian. How about you guys? Who by your opinion is the most OP merc?
iSoZo
Sasquatch
61 | 0
Act 1 Rogue priestess. Her being able to use the full Bowzon set makes its the best/cheapest for pre labs in my opinion. (If you can get her on top of the mobs..ie wolf druid,summon barb)
Act 2 Shapshifter for labs. Tanky boi
Bearded_DooD
Pit Knight
112 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
act2 shapeshifter is good for every occasion, i understand a5 guy got some good skills but dunno why, possibly bad luck but he was dying much more often than shapeshifter wearing same gear
paolo12
Cog
204 | 18
Shapeshifter with rha runeword in paladin helmet.
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Yeah i agree with you guys, but i think that Barbarian was better in previous mod versions. Now he's less tanky and dying sometimes in 2 seconds in Teganze or Duncraig. Priestess is epic, some may think it's shit because it's A1 merc but it's not like that, she's epic good and useful, much better than Ranger.

Shapeshifter is so tanky, i think it's also much better than Exemplar and Fighter Mage.

Noone uses A3 mercs? I used once a Necrolyte and he was pretty good as i remember, but it was 1.6 ver i think. Still Priestess or Shapeshifter looks more versatile.
Bearded_DooD
Pit Knight
112 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Nah ..im usually play as a ranged chars so it suit me to have tank. Maybe in 2.0 I would try a melee guy
iSoZo
Sasquatch
61 | 0
I love the act 3 mercs. But from my experience act 3 merc need alot of midmaxing to be at the level of damage an act 1 act can bring with just a bow set... crafted jewels, SUs or good crafted gear.
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
It's still much better comparing to vanilla D2 where everyone used A2 guys with Holy Freeze or Might auras and they were still mostly a meat, haha. MXL Sigma literally balanced mercs way better than Blizzard North did for their game.

I just started Trapsin and i wonder what merc i should use. I am thinking of Shapeshifter or the Barbarian but yeah, Barb merc got nerfed recently so it's not as good as it used to be. Shapeshifter seems like the way to go.

Also guys idk if it's bug or no... but Incineration Trap starts at 8 yards range. It gets 0.6 yards per 2 base levels. I have 6 base levels put into that skill and its range is 9.3 yards. Shouldn't it be 9.8 yards now instead of 9.3? https://prnt.sc/10ds78k
Victor
Cog
247 | 37
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Bestendigo wrote:So as the title says - who's the best merc in 1.8? I know it depends from our char and build, but i mean the merc that is most useful and/or deals highest damage. Survivability is less important cuz i think all mercs die quite fast in 120 lvl ubers and further.

I usually use Rogue Priestess, Shapshifter or Barbarian. How about you guys? Who by your opinion is the most OP merc?

Best merc is the one that has “search forum first before asking” skill :D

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=58753
Seikun
Abomination
154 | 8
For me it's necrolyte. As someone stated in the guide, he doesn't need to deal any damage to be useful.

And I absolutely hate the werebear merc. Yes he's seemingly the most popular, yes he's tankiest of them all, but for any build that cast bloodlust on themselves he's actually debuffing your char.