Hey all! Returning after 8ish years

Discuss Median XL!
Skaxx
Fallen
1 | 1
Hi all! I haven't played Median since like '12 or '13, but I absolutely loved the mod when I played. I was maining a Druid at the point, and I can't even recall WHY I stopped playing Median.

I'm curious, with the years missed and the amount of changes MXL has gone through, including me reading a little about Sigma and getting pretty excited, how hard is it to get into MXL these days? I'd basically be a completely new player because I don't remember much of ANYTHING about it except that I loved it, and I was playing a big ass Treant Druid :lol:

Any tips or advice? Thank you all so much, and can't wait to get back to Median!
Taem
Necrobot
2474 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
As before, read the docs. Lots of changes since Laz era in cube dept and ubers . Have fun!
Crosby4HyG
Core Lord
395 | 24
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
You've picked a great time to come back! Sigma 2.0 is likely going to be released in a few months. I've seen nothing official about what it will bring, but the general consensus is that it will be awesome.
PizzaGater
Banned
652 | 9
Skaxx wrote:Hi all! I haven't played Median since like '12 or '13, but I absolutely loved the mod when I played. I was maining a Druid at the point, and I can't even recall WHY I stopped playing Median.

I'm curious, with the years missed and the amount of changes MXL has gone through, including me reading a little about Sigma and getting pretty excited, how hard is it to get into MXL these days? I'd basically be a completely new player because I don't remember much of ANYTHING about it except that I loved it, and I was playing a big ass Treant Druid :lol:

Any tips or advice? Thank you all so much, and can't wait to get back to Median!

Much easier than when you played it, still very challenging endgame content :)
and ofc, WB
Jammy
Mangler
480 | 126
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Welcome back! :cheers:

I agree with giving the docs a read. Lots and lots of changes since you last played. I'd say it's pretty easy to get back into it. We have a starter guide if you'd like to give that a look over as well. You can find that here: https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?p=361623

We also have a "ultimate beginners guide" here: https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=56594

Good luck and have fun!
Quirinus
Team Member
1510 | 184
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Yeah, it's much easier to get into now, the start is more streamlined, you don't need to read the docs as much (some recipes are written on items).

There's too many changes to list. There's in-game map reveal. There's an awesome tool named D2Stats (in the tools section of the page) that shows you all your stats, and more importantly, notifies you of item drops (you can customize the notifier).

You can also trade items in the trade center and open or participate in auctions.

And the forum has item tags, that you can hover over to see the stats, like these:
The Butcher's Tooth
Required Level: 90
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
+10 to all Attributes
20% Magic Find
+1 to Light Radius
Horror Under Tristram (Heroic)
Difficulty Level: 120
Transmute in the cube after reaching Level 120

Rebel

Rebel
Body Armors

'ZolSilSilLo'
Runeword Level: 100
15% Combat Speeds
Adds 6-10 Damage
Weapon Physical Damage +(80 to 100)%
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+(151 to 200) to Strength
+(151 to 200) to Dexterity
-75 to Vitality
-75 to Energy
+60 to Mana
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Elemental Resists +(40 to 50)%

Which are useful for guides and communicating with other people.
"but if it's simple it's not that hard" - Quirinus 2017
"small things like this are not a big deal" - Quirinus 2017
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
85 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Skaxx wrote:Hi all! I haven't played Median since like '12 or '13, but I absolutely loved the mod when I played. I was maining a Druid at the point, and I can't even recall WHY I stopped playing Median.

In no particular order :

(1) The game has been greatly improved since the 2013 time frame, in almost every way.

(2) Many of the worst aspects of earlier versions of Median (example : "Witches that 1-shot your Level 12 character upon entering the Tamoe Highland") have been removed or sensibly toned down.

(3) Very significant changes to some kinds of characters (for example Bow Druids) seem to occur with each new revision to the game engine.

(4) The game is still almost impossible to play all the way through in Hardcore mode, due to various 1-shotters that are still lurking around.

(5) Literally THOUSANDS of interesting new elite Runewords, unique and set items and so on, for you to find (although most of these are locked out from being found until Hell difficulty).

(6) Mercenaries are much more well-designed and useful, compared to earlier versions.

(7) Some types of minions can actually survive in battle, whereas they were very "squishy" in earlier versions.

(8) Having a high Defense Rating is still almost essential if you want to survive far into the game.

It's still by far the best play value that you can get, with such an old game engine.
Ruubel
Onyx Knight
640 | 12
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Also ,there is a mercenary guide, you definitely need this one: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=58753
nold_
Skeleton
2 | 0
welcome back :mrgreen: