Median XL CPU usage?

Need help installing the mod?
potapo_gourouni
Azure Drake
174 | 8
Hi guys! I bought a new laptop and I'm concerned about the CPU usage when playing MEDIAN XL. It's around 22%-33%. I don't remember it that high on my previous laptop.. Are these prices normal? How is it about you?
By the way,I'm launching it from D2SE and tried it in both windowed mode and full screen on glide
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
you have a multicore processor yes? afaik d2 was programmed in a way to use 100% of cpu resources on a computer, even in idle mode. that was a time when people didnt multitask, and only single core processors existed. single core has 100% useage, on dual core its 50% (using 1 core 100%) and so on.
there used to be hacks to lower the processor useage, but i dont know what happened to them or if they work with median
Aspirine101
Lesbimale™
374 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
void wrote:you have a multicore processor yes? afaik d2 was programmed in a way to use 100% of cpu resources on a computer, even in idle mode. that was a time when people didnt multitask, and only single core processors existed. single core has 100% useage, on dual core its 50% (using 1 core 100%) and so on.
there used to be hacks to lower the processor useage, but i dont know what happened to them or if they work with median

hm but if you can lower the processor usage and it won't give you problems then why blizzard made it use 100%?
potapo_gourouni
Azure Drake
174 | 8
Yeah, Its an i7 dual core. I didn't understand so good what you said. It was designed to use 100% of cpu resources, but even on my old Pentium 4 PC was running smoothly. How is it that in a brand new laptop is consuming that much of cpu?
Anyway, to conclude, are these CPU usage values normal?? Are you also playing Median like this??
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
D2 is just shitty at resource management. As Void said, D2 was designed to be CPU-intensive. Since gfx cards back in the day weren't very powerful, it pulls from the CPU almost exclusively by default. 22%-33% CPU usage isn't a big deal as long as your CPU isn't overheating. I'm still using an old Core 2 Duo E8400 and my Core 0 usage is about 68% during gameplay and 12% when idle. D2 doesn't touch Core 1, so there's no noticable hit to system performance (at least on this machine).

Also, post count = 420 :mweed:
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
my i7 is quad core 4th gen but doesn't go above 6% usage if i got just d2 opened and the web browser .
potapo_gourouni
Azure Drake
174 | 8
Chuck teach me!!!!
In my previous i5 dual core, CPU usage was around 5-10%. Now to the new i7, usage got tripled!! I'm sure there are some easy tweaks to get this down.
Are you playing Median XL through D2SE too?
What compatibility changes did you apply on the .exe?
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
i use d2se , compatibility for win 7 (got win 10 installed) , no other special adjustment .

i believe your i7 most probably has letter "u" (ultra low voltage) at the end of it's name , right ?
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Try this :

Run median , press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up Task Manager. In it , search for Game.exe (median's .exe file) ; right click it and click on "Define Affinity" or whatever its called. It should bring up all the CPUs being used by that process. Disable all of them except CPU 0 (meaning Median will be using only one of the cores rather than all) . Might work. Or maybe not, but try it anyway.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
that sound normal to me,

assuming you have 3 cores, median will try to use fully one of the core hence 33% of total CPU (100/3)
but again, d2 is not a CPU intensive game so that would be weird.

my suggestion would just to check your primary graphic card setting to play median (assuming you have dual integrated GPU on the laptop) and maybe the battery power setting (there is some setting that slow CPU down to save power)