A few questions on Median Xl that I wanted updated answers on

Discuss Median XL!
FishGaming
Imp
5 | 0
So this first question had threads generally around 2-3 years ago. Just wanted to know about the current status to get a feeling also on how the devs for this mod are moving forward.

1.) Single player. What do I lose out on? I have heard some ubers and a few runes maybe but most of the time people say that they are not needed for single player.

2.) If I choose multiplayer to gain all these items can I get them out of ladder (excluding seasonal items)? I am not interested in trying to rush the game experience just to get end game quick so that I can attempt to acquire these items.

3.) Do the seasonal items move over to non ladder or just disappear after that season?

4.) If I play on a TCP/IP game does it register as single player or multiplayer?

5.) Lastly a more random question. I do prefer using D2SE and there is the last of a median Xl version around 2012 that was released where plugy could be used. I heard that this recent version won't allow it even on single player. Don't know if that is the case but if I had to go back to this version to use plugy what would be missing from it compared to the original? In other words would it even be worth playing the older version?

Thanks for the help!
Edited by FishGaming 3 years.
Fululf
Gravedigger
196 | 11
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
FishGaming wrote:So this first question had threads generally around 2-3 years ago. Just wanted to know about the current status to get a feeling also on how the devs for this mod are moving forward.

1.) Single player. What do I lose out on? I have heard some ubers and a few runes maybe but most of the time people say that they are not needed for single player.

2.) If I choose multiplayer to gain all these items can I get them out of ladder (excluding seasonal items)? I am not interested in trying to rush the game experience just to get end game quick so that I can attempt to acquire these items.

3.) Do the seasonal items move over to non ladder or just disappear after that season?

4.) If I play on a TCP/IP game does it register as single player or multiplayer?

5.) Lastly a more random question. I do prefer using D2SE and there is the last of a median Xl version around 2008 that was released where plugy could be used. I heard that this recent version won't allow it even on single player. Don't know if that is the case but if I had to go back to this version to use plugy what would be missing from it compared to the original? In other words would it even be worth playing the older version?

Thanks for the help!

I'll give u my take on it:
1. I started in SP a long time ago, but once I started playing on TSW I have never even thought of going back to SP. I like the laddering, being able to trade items (bought buy and sell). Playing with other people also makes it more fun in my opinion (:
For content I'm not quite sure what you would miss out on. I believe Samael only drop the charm in SP, but lab etc is still available. This season there are goblins that are exclusive to TSW aswell, but that's not really something u will see on either tsw or SP going forward. So item/content-wise u won't miss out on much.

2 & 3. When the season ends characters are moved over to non-ladder, so the items won't be lost. There are not that many people playing NL compared to ladder (alot less I dare say), but there should be some around I guess.
I think I recall reading that with the next season update (sigma 2.0) all characters, including NL, will be cleared since it will be a very large update. These large updates don't happen very often, but when sigma 1.0 launched the same thing happened if I remember correctly. Something to be aware about, eventhough the complete character wipes don't happen often at all.

4. I believe the TCP/IP uses your single player character but allowing u to connect to others. Might be the way to mule on SP, but I'm sure some other people know this in more detail than me. Last I played SP plugy was still around (:

5. Alot of things have changed, and I think the last version where plugy still worked was the patch prior to sigma 1.0 maybe? So quite alot of changes have been implemented since, though I can't really name too many of them at the top of my head but.. balance changes happen every new patch, some new areas like sam/labs have been introduced, aswell as some items and even engine-changes to the game if I remember correctly.

So to sum it up: I'd play the new version online, but that depends on how much you enjoy trading/interacting with others in game.
And, before someone else says it, next time post your question in short questions thread (;
Hope that helps and as a final suggestion I'd say try out the game (if u haven't already) to test some builds etc, then it will be more fun for u to join the ladder at reset!
Hf gl
FishGaming
Imp
5 | 0
Thank you for the quick reply!
First of all I didn't know there was a short question thread. Sorry about that and others. If someone could move it then that would be cool.

Next I thought the most recent version they elminated plugy or maybe it was a while back. Does anyone know the latest version that you could still use plugy (and maybe even D2SE) with it? I mostly want the most recent version with plugy.

On a side note does plugy give you more than an unlimited stash for median XL? Does it provide all rune words and ubers because of it or can you get all rune words and unique items (outside of samuel) on single player?

When you say not a lot of content are all bosses and ubers and such in SP? I don't quite mind playing with people even though they can be toxic to your game sometimes while other times helpful, what I don't like is the fact that you practically have to trade because the drop rate is so low. I am a person who wants the merit of earning something myself and you can't do player 8 command online so you can't barely find anything without a multiplayer lobby where people with better connections will get the better item you need or want and won't care one bit about you.... so no to multiplayer for me really.

One last thing to consider that I never even thought about until now, for SP is there still certain bosses or areas to farm items or do they have a chance to drop anywhere. That would considerably increase the grind for SP for needed items.

And so just to make sure SP doesn't really leave much out right? or nonladder vs ladder characters?

Thanks!
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Plugy doesn't work with Sigma but you can use the offline tools to get a shared stash and unlimited respecs. Available here (scroll down).

D2SE doesn't work with Sigma either, the game has its own launcher. There's a thread somewhere where folks are collecting old versions and those will work with D2SE, but IMO it's not really worth playing old versions except if you're feeling nostalgic for a specific build or you prefer oneshot mechanics over the current ubers.

All of the ubers are on SP.

IIRC all the secret rune words were removed too there's no difference there either.

/players isn't a command in SIgma anyway. There used to be higher drop rates on SP than on TSW to make up for it, but I don't know if that's still a thing.
Edited by Siosilvar 3 years.
FishGaming
Imp
5 | 0
I just found the offline tool you were talking about. That is pretty cool.

Okay so that's not too bad if just most of Samuel uber items and the secret rune words are removed I suppose as long as there is just tons more...

Can anyone chime in to let me know if there is still a higher drop rate in single player for this 1.80 version?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Yeah there is no reason to play old versions, they are garbage compared to sigma. Current version has its problems too, mostly in the form of balancing issues, there are many builds that are pretty much unplayable, but I feel like at least some of those will be fixed in the upcoming big patch.
FishGaming
Imp
5 | 0
And just with another question I was wondering where is a current build section for this version of the game that is worth doing since single player isn't the easiest on players
PaMxl
Stone Warrior
34 | 3
This may come handy in terms of builds
MedianXL Sigma 1.8 Starter Tier List by Seekers
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45921
FishGaming
Imp
5 | 0
Thank you! And does anyone else know if this latest version of the game still has a higher drop rate in single player than multiplayer?