Have the devs died?

Discuss Median XL!
Captcha
Cog
230 | 10
ParticuLarry wrote:
Captcha wrote:I find myself struggling to understand that Larry. There's been no update on any upcoming patch for weeks on the forums but there have (apparently) been updates on discord. Forum-only users don't think that's a good idea. Seems straightforward enough.


There have been exactly 3 announcements regarding the next patch on discord.

I can't comment - I don't use discord. All I do know is that I have seen none on forums. None. In months.


I'm not sure how many more ways there are to say this.
ParticuLarry
Mangler
492 | 49
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Captcha wrote:I can't comment - I don't use discord.


Me neither. But that's exactly why I checked the facts before posting and ended up taking a little peek in discord's announcement channel.

Captcha wrote:All I do know is that I have seen none on forums. None. In months.


And I gave you proof to show you that you're wrong. Are you just going to ignore that entirely? :bounce:
User avatar
duysir0
Bone Archer
75 | 10
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
This Larry dude is indeed particular :-|
- He's either trolling so hard or just blindly lying to himself to get the positivity goin'
- Let's hop in a normal person shoes for a bit 'kay mr Larry? So how does one get news for the latest mod development/update? U go to 'Announcement' right, or perhaps 'MXL Development' or anything visible regarding the update in the main forum page .Right from the bat, I don't get anything pop into my eyes socket that has anything to do with "2.0" or the next update. The only thing I see is couples posts of forum users asking for/about it, which says a lot. Sir Larry right here's pointing toward "Σ Goblin Season Patch Notes" which is an extremely smart thing a normal person would do: To search in a 6-month-old thread of the PREVIOUS version patch notes, which by this point, most people deemed it dead anyway. You have to be a psychopath or desperate enough to digging thru anything to get news for the next update, espicially in sth such as "PREVIOUS version patch note".

- The reallity is: No visible or pinned up dev posts or announcement. Even the navibar still just states "-Golbin Season-" .Only thing we get are just few here and there replies from Discord users, fogging up an idea of a big 2.0 going on behind the scene, and forum users aint getting any of that good shits. Yeah, that's how I got my info about the 2.0, a friend of mine who happens to be a Discord user dm me all the pic n leak. I was like wtf where's all this shit I'm missing out. Without him and me just casually checking up on the forum, I'd think Goblin season still goin' and 2.0 is not even happening..

-The "Announcement" : much of an announcement. It's plainly just a 'reply'. A reply in a 6-month-old patch note thread of the PREVIOUS version. And what do you know, the "announcement" is not even in the latest page anymore , so you can't just go to the thread and immediately get to see it, u have to scroll back few pages for it. And you sir mr.Larry right here are one big contributor to the endeavor of burying that oh-so-called "announcement" . You know what's funny, the "announcement" is accompanied by crop screenshots taken from another platforms (not from the forum ofc) ,with an invitation link directing people to the said outer platforms (Patreon and Discord). That's something I'd hardly call "Announcement", more of trying to say: "hey u want some more of this good shit? let's get out of here".

-Do yourself a favor and a reality check man you hilarious man.
-See it for yourself: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=60020&start=320
User avatar
RequiemLux
Team Member
1097 | 256
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
As Marco said, the Forums and Discord are two separate beings which cover separate roles, trying to push towards an equalization of functions for them is futile. The sneak peeks posted on Discord are not suited for the Forums, they are chronicles of a work in progress and the end product may end up very differently from what is showcased. It has been tried in the past to do a similar thing on the Forums and that provided less than desiderable results... to this very day people are still asking about bounties.
Discord is the better suited platform to follow the "work in progress" while the Forums offer a better deal when it comes to announcements meant to have a longer lifespan and a more solid base. Discussions on the Forums, especially when back and forth is required, are clunky and slow while Discord provide an useful flexibility in a lot of fields (and this is coming from someone that didn't like Discord and waited almost 3 years before joining).
Each enviroment has its own perks and as the project grows we try to maximize efficency while enhancing functionality which often also translates into looking at other platforms and complementary means of comunication. It's not a case for example that we tried to move the Bugs&Feedback to Git, since it's vastly superior for that duty for both developers that can better organize the work and players that can see what has been fixed and what it's being worked on and by who.
On the other hand this expansion is pushing even more the main site into the need of assuming the role of a sort of nexus for this micro-cosmo, so means of integrations are definetely a plausible alternative to avoid the issue. Anyway, can't be stressed enough, priorities right now are strictly inherent to the 2.0 development cycle with little to no rooms for curating further the PR side of things. Don't take this the wrong way but, for the time being if you want to closely follow what is currently going on prior to a public release, you're going to miss out if you are not on Discord.

P.S.
Don't turn this thread into a feud between users or it'll get locked.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
Captcha
Cog
230 | 10
RequiemLux wrote:As Marco said, the Forums and Discord are two separate beings which cover separate roles, trying to push towards an equalization of functions for them is futile. The sneak peeks posted on Discord are not suited for the Forums, they are chronicles of a work in progress and the end product may end up very differently from what is showcased.

Can I just say that I'm not in any way trying to be confrontational here, I'm just finding that what I'm saying seems to be misunderstood by some folks so I'd like to try to say it more clearly.


I would like to point out, for the record, that equalising functions or posting the same update on discord/forums is not (necessarily) what I'm suggesting.

What I would like to see is some form of update on the forums which can be found easily - if the dev team feel that it should be different to what they post on discord then that's fine, make it whatever it needs to be - I'm just asking for something regularly, however short and sweet, even if they're a month apart, just so that people know what's happening (and when they should check back for a further update).

For example - a sticky thread in Announcements with a monthly update along the lines of:

DD/MM/YYYY We are busy working on a completely new version so it will be given the next major revision number of 2.0. This is a major piece which will take some time so we have no ETA at present, but we expect the current ladder season to last at least another three months. To manage expectations, please note that it is possible that it may last longer, possibly much longer therefore please note that future updates may not shorten this timeframe. We expect to issue a further update around the same time next month.

The next post can be shorter - simply saying, maybe: "We are continuing our work on 2.0. Although it is going well there is a lot still to do, so we expect that the current season will continue to run for at least another X months".

It's not only about the regular players, it's also about visitors etc who will look at the forums, rapidly get the idea that the game is dead and move on.
As I mentioned before, to me, the short questions thread makes it look even more dead since most of the new stuff goes into that single thread.

As I say, not meant to be confrontational in any way, just trying to clarify what I was suggesting.
ParticuLarry
Mangler
492 | 49
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
duysir0 wrote:This Larry dude is indeed particular :-|
- He's either trolling so hard or just blindly lying to himself to get the positivity goin'
- Let's hop in a normal person shoes for a bit 'kay mr Larry? So how does one get news for the latest mod development/update? U go to 'Announcement' right, or perhaps 'MXL Development' or anything visible regarding the update in the main forum page .Right from the bat, I don't get anything pop into my eyes socket that has anything to do with "2.0" or the next update. The only thing I see is couples posts of forum users asking for/about it, which says a lot. Sir Larry right here's pointing toward "Σ Goblin Season Patch Notes" which is an extremely smart thing a normal person would do: To search in a 6-month-old thread of the PREVIOUS version patch notes, which by this point, most people deemed it dead anyway. You have to be a psychopath or desperate enough to digging thru anything to get news for the next update, espicially in sth such as "PREVIOUS version patch note".


Yeah I know I'm particular. I'm a high-functioning autist after all. (That's what doctors say to people who are autistic, but not enough to not have a regular life. So in fact that just means my thinking is less of an object to being influenced by subjectivity and feelings and I still manage to have a rather normal life.) But off-topic aside.

As I said in one of my previous posts: "Yeah sure, we could argue whether that was the best way for posting these teasers, but we still got the information on here as well."

I was already saying that the way these teasers were posted (not in a new singular thread) is up for debate. What I argued against is people saying that there has been exactly 0 information which is simply a wrong statement.

In the end it depends on how invested in the community you are. If you're willing to invest more time in the community, you find the crumbs of information much easier and faster. If not, then not. That's the game the team didn't invent but uses to grow a steady user base, which profits all of us. But more on that later.

Again, just to make it clear, I partly agree that the way this was posted has room for improvement. On the other hand these are merely teasers for the part of the community that invests more time in the community than the regular person.

duysir0 wrote:- The reallity is: No visible or pinned up dev posts or announcement. Even the navibar still just states "-Golbin Season-" .Only thing we get are just few here and there replies from Discord users, fogging up an idea of a big 2.0 going on behind the scene, and forum users aint getting any of that good shits. Yeah, that's how I got my info about the 2.0, a friend of mine who happens to be a Discord user dm me all the pic n leak. I was like wtf where's all this shit I'm missing out. Without him and me just casually checking up on the forum, I'd think Goblin season still goin' and 2.0 is not even happening..


The navibar saying "-Goblin Season-" is right though? Because that navibar usually depicts the current season, which is indeed still going on. So that's fine, isn't it?

duysir0 wrote:-The "Announcement" : much of an announcement. It's plainly just a 'reply'. A reply in a 6-month-old patch note thread of the PREVIOUS version. And what do you know, the "announcement" is not even in the latest page anymore , so you can't just go to the thread and immediately get to see it, u have to scroll back few pages for it. And you sir mr.Larry right here are one big contributor to the endeavor of burying that oh-so-called "announcement" . You know what's funny, the "announcement" is accompanied by crop screenshots taken from another platforms (not from the forum ofc) ,with an invitation link directing people to the said outer platforms (Patreon and Discord). That's something I'd hardly call "Announcement", more of trying to say: "hey u want some more of this good shit? let's get out of here".

-Do yourself a favor and a reality check man you hilarious man.
-See it for yourself: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=60020&start=320


Yeah, I said before in one of my previous posts that this isn't an annoucement.
ParticuLarry wrote:But both of these things aren't really big announcements. They are merely teasers,

In addition to that I have not once called it an announcement after the post where I stated that these posts merely amount to teasers, not announcements.

I mean come on, even RequiemLux said in one of the teaser posts:
RequiemLux wrote:In the meantime (if you haven't already) you could join our Discord Server where it's more likely for players to be up to date and where leaks and mini-annoucements are posted.


So yeah, we are all aware that these aren't big announcements worthy of their own thread on the forum. Except for the few people who are still calling it an announcement.

These posts are teasers, which are meant for the part of the community that's closest to the team. And the closest you can get to the team is by getting on discord if you don't want to pay money. (If you want to use money, you can get on patreon, which provides an even better proximity to the team and the game itself)

So what you need to understand is that this is a dicussion about the correct usage of different tools by the team. And the way they used their tools is correct for the growth of a returning community. They didn't make the game, they're just playing it well, to "encourage" users to invest more time in the community and grow a bigger user base. That means they are ensuring that they can continue working on MXL without it dropping out of existence at some point by referring us to the different tools with their different purposes, which are as follows:
Patreon for the people who want to support the game regularly, so it's preserved and improved over time.
Discord for the people who want to invest lots of their time in the community, occasionally jumping in voice chat with other people and play a quick game and pick up leaks and teasers along the way.
Forum for the big juicy announcements, which are already set in stone and the partly deep discussions and occasional mega posts to raise awareness to issues that should be fixed.

Everything about that is correct. Every tool has a different purpose. And the team uses these tools perfectly for their exact purposes. You can't condemn the team for using their available tools for their specific intended purposes.

What issue I've seen being raised for quite a while already is what Captcha just confirmed. After reflecting on what was said on this thread he was able to put into words what's the real issue here.

Captcha wrote: I'm just asking for something regularly, however short and sweet, even if they're a month apart, just so that people know what's happening (and when they should check back for a further update).


This is what it boils down to. This whole discussion about whether discord receives preferred treatment or not only started because people can't wait to see new things. And despite others telling them: "hey teasers can be found on Discord" and "There's little information on discord that wasn't posted on the forum either" They instead ignore all the facts and focus their impatience and demonize discord, which I consider an eruption of misplaced emotions. Captcha managed to reflect on what he said and think more about what his actual problem is, which is something he can be very proud of, since not everyone is strong enough to admit faults and/or realize that emotions may have gotten out of hand and prevented you from speaking about the real problem at hand.

Anyway, this demonization of discord is what I have noticed back then with Taem already, which is the only reason why I even replied to him back then, to stop him from twisting facts in favor of a story that's wrong, which, if told continually, may degenerate into a much bigger but pointless discussion, which unfortunately still happened as we can see here. The attitude I saw in him back then is unfortunately very typical nowaday, since it has been brainwashed into us with advertisements all over our lifes. This attitude can be summed up in 3 words:
I. Everything. Now.
In its fundamentals, it's the attitude of a spoiled brat, but I'm not condemning anyone for showing that kind of behaviour. As I said, the consumerism is at fault for teaching us that behaviour. All I'm doing is pointing out flaws in logic to allow people to wake up from their faulty characteristics to become better people by themselves. It doesn't matter to me whether I'm being hated or called a psychopath or whatever. That's just my egoistic altruism at play, since I just want to enjoy discussion on an equal, objective level. If the facts prove my wrong, I'm willing to admit it, like SioSilvar's argument earlier in this thread. This kind of thing can only help me, because I learn something new everytime. But this confrontation is necessary to start the chain of reflection and self-improvement, which I was able to see in many people here on the forum, including Taem, Captcha and several other people even if they might hate me for that.

Anyway, I get it, we're all riled up for 2.0 and crave news and big reveals but please cut the team some slack. They are working their hardest to give us the perfect end-product. For free. Stay patient and good things will await us! The criticism Captcha raised in his latest post is on point, so I'll give him a +1 on that.
User avatar
Crash
Madawc
6710 | 309
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
holy word spam batman
Berkabus1
Azure Drake
166 | 8
Crash wrote:holy word spam batman


:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
cnlnjzfjb
Azure Drake
178 | 4
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
No more goblins in 2.0 plz. If they stay, at least greatly lower their frequency of occurence. Too many of them just lead to ladder dying soon and relics abuse and kill the ladder. Just like they did to 1.8 ladder, turning 1.8 ladder into an entertaining ladder with shorter life than a normal ladder while it was supposed to maintain longer until 2.0 coming. I remember getting a
Despondence
Despondence
Voidforged Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 13 to 16
Required Level: 125
Item Level: 110
Nearby enemies lose 10% Magic and Elemental resistances
+30% to Spell Damage
+20 to Voidstar
+1 to Vindicate
+(600 to 1000) to Life
Lightning Resist -100%
in the early game by just being lucky to kill a goblin....And thanks to goblins, I got 2 laz trophies without ever doing laz runs, .....That's not fun at all.
Ruubel
Heretic
447 | 6
Easy there, easy. Goblin season is exactly what it is - a filler.