Melee viability

Discuss Median XL!
Boban
Sasquatch
62 | 3
What exactly are you trying to prove here, that you are tankier? Well, good job, that doesn't mean anything though. You simply asked me for examples, I gave you examples. The point is that ranged characters do not have to tank everything as melee ones do, you kill things before they hit you, or dodge and kill them afterwards. And if you have to take the hit, you are sturdy enough to do it. On top of that, you are only talking about wolf who was buffed/slightly reworked like 2 patches ago, plus he has unlimited jumps. What about others? Take necro for example, he for sure is tanky, but even stupid Duncraig is a pain when it comes to Necromorbs.
PodolskyV
Gravedigger
184 | 6
Yep, ww dru maybe realy one of strongest melee builds, but my point is that melee is quite viable just like ranged and more comfortable to play for me because I don't like to keep distance to be safe.
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
"Yep, ww dru maybe realy one of strongest melee builds,...."
So sb could kindly show us how strong ww dru is in Samael fight and t10+ labs without Azurewrath or attack speed relic stacking? After all, ww dru is soooo strong in endgame content, right?
Edited by cnlnjzfjb 2 years.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
PodolskyV wrote: ice lance procs carry content for the most part.

ice lance doesnt do shit. its a cold spell and you're a cold wdm build. its just screen clutter
Fellerd
Thunder Beetle
58 | 11
The "ranged vs. melee" thing is basically everywhere,almost every game.That is the point of being ranged-being able to kite/dodge/kill at the same time.Melee doesn't have options like that (with some exceptions).I think it's normal,didn't really bother me.However,if it does turn out to be a problem,I could suggest,maybe,a hidden stat on certain melee weapons that reduces dmg taken-separate from the regular DR?Nothing too much,since it needs just a little tweak.Or,for melee builds that have dodge/good DR and such,bonus life or some other stat they'd find useful?Just some ideas :) .
Taem
Necrobot
2473 | 151
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
I was just imagining IRL an assailant with (any) melee weapon vs someone with a gun at range. Can you guess the outcome ? LoL, games try and balance these aspects , but realism stops immediately when melee is even compared to missile. Maybe for midevil games it could be argued that bows do less damage and take longer to cock. A crossbow causes up to 35 joules of kinetic energy whereas a 2-hand sword swing caused up to 140 joules of energy, so the melee attack is literally 4x stronger, however the archer is also likely to get off 3-4 shits before the melee combatant reach's them , so the advantage clearly goes to missile for striking first .
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I think the major issue with balancing would be the inextricable link between a lot of melee/ranged spells existing in the same talent tree. (I.e. unholy melee). If melee and ranged abilities were isolated in their own respective melee/ranged trees, it would be easier to implement blanket buffs to melee survivability without making ranged builds OP
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Primarch wrote:I think the major issue with balancing would be the inextricable link between a lot of melee/ranged spells existing in the same talent tree. (I.e. unholy melee). If melee and ranged abilities were isolated in their own respective melee/ranged trees, it would be easier to implement blanket buffs to melee survivability without making ranged builds OP

Well, this I think is the idea behind all those melee-only buffs. Lioness, Baneblade, Grim Presence, Deathlord... all pretty solid defensive buffs that only work for melee builds because they just outright lock out ranged skills and spells.

Hard to do it any other way, because without doing some sort of lockout like that or devotion skills, a handful of prerequisite skill points isn't a big cost for most builds to get to a nice buff.
PodolskyV
Gravedigger
184 | 6
Crash wrote:
PodolskyV wrote: ice lance procs carry content for the most part.

ice lance doesnt do shit. its a cold spell and you're a cold wdm build. its just screen clutter

So what's the point? Do you mean that tis proc is useless if I wdm? Very interesting opinion, considering my 500+ spell focus.
revolut1oN
Lava Lord
94 | 2
yes its useless, you dont pump energy and %cold damage so sf doesnt help that much