"The utter futility of playing Median XL in Hardcore"

Discuss Median XL!
Mr_Bill
Designated Troll
84 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Level 55+ Spearazon (~1900 hit points, supermax resists, 15K+ defense), killed by Normal Baal AFTER BAAL WAS ALREADY DEAD (see screen shot) :

Pounced on top of him (had full Pounce "Fury" bonus on), stabbed him with "Great Hunt", he went down in about a second and a half, was just about to talk to Tyrael when his black pool of death appeared beneath my feet and one-shotted me far too quickly to drink a potion, to move or to do anything. This was AFTER Baal was clearly dead and his corpse lay splattered beneath the pillar that you see in the above screen shot.

Ironically, after I hit "Escape", it presented me with the following congratulatory screen :

So let's consider this, Median players : you can be one-shotted by a boss monster even after you have killed him, despite the fact that (unlike, for example, Andariel's Meteor Shower) he did not appear to initiate any attack on you prior to being killed.

In Median, even dead monsters can kill you without warning.

Nothing "unfairly hard" about THIS game... right, folks?
BigBKH
Cultist
24 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
don't stand in ground effects
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Mr_Bill wrote:In Median, even dead monsters can kill you without warning.

I guess the black ground effect that lingers on the ground for like 3 seconds before the spell hits is not warning enough.
Bearded_DooD
Pit Knight
112 | 16
Great Popularity Badge
Never stand in crap...
Crosby4HyG
Core Lord
395 | 24
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Like you say, there's really very little if anything about median that's unfair. It's not an easy game like LoD, it's meant to be a challenge. The mechanic you're referring to has an extremely avoidable warning. Practice more my guy, maybe not in HC yet as even the most experienced players struggle with HC in MXL.
boozek
Son of Lucion
733 | 31
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Its not futility, what he did on you is Fatality
silicondream
Lava Lord
95 | 22
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
The pillar blocks the visual of the effect so always consider moving just in case.
PizzaGater
Banned
652 | 9
cant blame you but if you die on norm Baal just avoid hc on median like I do, you're not ready for this
Lowserwer
Cultist
22 | 1
Don't worry bro, it's just a small mistake, we all do them - once i died on nightmare baal, was fun :) but it was stunlock + guano on the floor. Everything is just expereince. Still, what I have is not HUGE stuff on HC. I have so much to learn. So many oneshoots to get. So much rage to aquire!
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
As was said, there are many things that have after-kill effects. If you die on norm Baal you shouldn't play HC at all.