2.0 - Impact on SP Legacy Characters and Items?

Discuss Median XL!
RookMeister
Imp
4 | 1
I have a collection of characters and items in Single Player. I use OfflineTools to store a large amount of items. I understand that 2.0 will be a major release, and there will not be much backwards compatibility.

My questions are:

1. Will existing SP characters be transferrable to 2.0?
2. Will existing OfflineTools Shared Stashes be transferrable to 2.0?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
RookMeister wrote:I have a collection of characters and items in Single Player. I use OfflineTools to store a large amount of items. I understand that 2.0 will be a major release, and there will not be much backwards compatibility.

My questions are:

No, thats what no backwards compability means.
Enigma
Heretic
409 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
RookMeister wrote:I have a collection of characters and items in Single Player. I use OfflineTools to store a large amount of items. I understand that 2.0 will be a major release, and there will not be much backwards compatibility.

My questions are:

Sometimes through non compatible updates, some items can be transferred through with shared stash (trophies, runes, gems, etc, occasionally items also). As to what will be able to be maintained, it will really depend on the specific content in the update and you would have to experiment by making multiple shared stash files to see what you could port over for single player.

Very plausibly, the effort it would take to port the max of what you can would be more effort than just refinding items in the new version (assuming SU's etc aren't compatible, which they almost certainly wont be).
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Enigma wrote:

My questions are:

Sometimes through non compatible updates, some items can be transferred through with shared stash (trophies, runes, gems, etc, occasionally items also). As to what will be able to be maintained, it will really depend on the specific content in the update and you would have to experiment by making multiple shared stash files to see what you could port over for single player.

Very plausibly, the effort it would take to port the max of what you can would be more effort than just refinding items in the new version (assuming SU's etc aren't compatible, which they almost certainly wont be).

I image the save game file code was re-written to account for the in-game shared stash (i.e. increased character file sizes). If that is true, no old saves will be compatible because they simply will not be readable by the new code, not without legacy support built in. Ofc, I could be incorrect, but giving other players potentially misleading or false information is not cool.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
you can make different stashes and try them piece by piece . usually the consumables are compatible (gold , gems , shrines , white base items , some runes , signets , etc )
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
ChuckNoRis wrote:you can make different stashes and try them piece by piece . usually the consumables are compatible (gold , gems , shrines , white base items , some runes , signets , etc )

So in short... there's nothing worth keeping.
Bliyadolubov
Grubber
314 | 10
From what i am understand, 2.0 changes doesnt not affect SP, and stashed items or even chars wouldnt work anyway in SP, WTF!!! Correct me if i wrong
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1219 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Bliyadolubov wrote:From what i am understand, 2.0 changes doesnt not affect SP, and stashed items or even chars wouldnt work anyway in SP, WTF!!! Correct me if i wrong

What? 2.0 is going to be on singleplayer as well (it *has* to be, on account of how d2's client/server model works), and your local characters and offline-tools stash won't be compatible. I don't know how on Earth you got the exact opposite impression.
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Yes, both sp and mp char will not be compatible anymore, nor any items will, but that never has been a problem as olds versions can still be played
You're free to create a second version of your 1.8 game and only update one for exemple, just need to run the 1.8 one though game.exe like old times so it doesn't update automatically