Discuss Median XL!
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Bestendigo wrote:Well, i have lags while playing MXL online too. I have fiber, 0 problems in other games like Hunt: Showdown or CoD: Warzone, ping 30-40 ms there, 0 lags. But MXL servers are bad to me, doesn't matter what gs, monsters teleport, my spells dont do any dmg for 2-3 secs etc. That's why i play SP.

I also average 40-60 ping in every other online game I play. For me it's more like 20-30 second spikes where nothing registers. Even so bad as to the map not loading and I hit a black wall that can't be crossed.

The only possible thing I can think of is that the goblins somehow cause the problems. I've never seen one in the snippets I've been able to play... I suffered through to Act 2 on a totem Necro and never saw a single goblin, but would occasionally (frequently) hit massive lag spikes to the point that I'd be forced to save and quit. I don't know how frequently the goblins spawn, but if it's as often the huge game-destroying lag spikes every 5-10 minutes it would seem to point to them as a culprit.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I have 3 questions.

1) Do you have Hamachi or a similar software installed? Hamachi basically emulates another gateway for the internet. For me it caused severe lagg in Diablo 2 battle.net and literally nowhere else. It was basically the same problem that you described and after I deinstalled it, battle.net worked for me again.

2) Have you tried changing the Video mode? Glide, DirectDraw and Direct3D? Have you ever changed anything in the video mode you're using? Have you tried changing the settings and trying out stuff?

3) Have you tried completely resetting your PC and reinstalling everything? If the issue comes from some software of yours or a faulty registry entry, this might be the best solution. If you did this and the problem still persists, I'm not sure what might be able to fix it.
Urezzz
Bone Archer
71 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Zuulrethad wrote:2.0 looks amazing from the trailer. I've been playing median mods for what, 10 years or something now? Longer than that? Ever since the original came out anyway.

But the 1.8 patch introduced unplayable lag for me. I haven't made a hardware or software change to any components or network adapter since 2015 so it can't be that. I've played and continue to play a dozen other online games with no problems whatsoever. Median is the only game that doesn't work.

I've posted here before for suggestions and tried all the uninstallation and clean install stuff possible. Which also doesn't make sense that it could be the problem since I hadn't touched the D2 folder since I installed Median XL 1.0. Also tried this network adapter manager tool thing as suggested by someone that replied to my thread and fiddled with the settings which didn't do anything. There were a few other things I did, it's been several months so I can't remember all the steps. But I did everything under the sun.

I guess I've pretty much given up on enjoying this mod anymore since apparently it's "my fault" that a patch made the game unplayable when it was working perfectly fine literally the day before the patch came out.

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the content wasn't season-only like the goblins. I've played single player Median exclusively until last year and am perfectly happy doing so, but putting in online-only material basically alienates me with these lag issues.

Nobody cares, I know. I think I'm pretty much only making this post to complain anyway. But it makes me feel better, so here we are. :cry:

Dude, I understand you. I absolutely hate playing online. No full games ever and it lags like crazy. The only reason I play there, is that I want to be able to trade. I hate they make online exclusive stuff because it feels like every other company out there. Blizzard pulled this crap when they released diablo 3. Idk if its because they make money on trade(selling TG) or what but its annoying. I hope 2.0 comes with a more friendly SP.
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Oh yeah, also to note. I can play Path of Diablo online with zero problems.
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
ParticuLarry wrote:I have 3 questions.

1) Do you have Hamachi or a similar software installed? Hamachi basically emulates another gateway for the internet. For me it caused severe lagg in Diablo 2 battle.net and literally nowhere else. It was basically the same problem that you described and after I deinstalled it, battle.net worked for me again.

2) Have you tried changing the Video mode? Glide, DirectDraw and Direct3D? Have you ever changed anything in the video mode you're using? Have you tried changing the settings and trying out stuff?

3) Have you tried completely resetting your PC and reinstalling everything? If the issue comes from some software of yours or a faulty registry entry, this might be the best solution. If you did this and the problem still persists, I'm not sure what might be able to fix it.

1) No, I've never used anything like that. No VPNs or other related stuff.

2) Yes.

3) Reinstalling my OS is entirely too drastic to solve an issue for a 20 year old game. I'm not willing to spend hours reinstalling all my stuff and downloading Windows updates. However, this suggestion does actually offer something that I haven't done yet - Nuking my registry of everything Median. I think I'm going to try that.
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Well, cleaning the registry didn't solve it. Now it freezes at the character select screen, just says "Connecting" and never loads my characters. I relogged a few times and was able to create a game after several tries because it froze at Creating Game, then was unable to use the inventory (Open cube etc) due to the lag. Now that I think about it I had these same issues back when 1.8 released, so that defeats my goblin theory.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Nuking the registry... well, I'd only do that after I deinstalled Median and Diablo and before reinstalling both.

So yeah... I think your best bet would be resetting your pc since pinpointing the cause of that issue would probably be really hard.

One last thing... You could try sending a message to RequiemLux. He's the guy responsible for trouble shooting. Send him a message with your issue in detail and all the solutions you have tried and he might be able to help you.
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Zuulrethad wrote:
Taem wrote:Do you live in a 3rd world nation or are under 18 years old? If neither of these are true, then you can literally purchase a laptop for $100.00 on BestBuy just to play d2 on: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-11-31 ... Id=6463217

Why would I do that when I have a PC that can play Doom for example in 4k with all settings tacked at 60fps?

It was not clear to me form your post rather you were complaining about exclusively online, or MXL itself. Assuming it might have been the entire game that was giving you issues, I suggested a different PC, but it seems the problem you are having is exclusive to internet connection. Sorry I cannot help.
Milkshake
Abomination
142 | 17
Common Popularity Badge
Start approaching it from an IT perspective. Do some packet analyzing (WireShark may be useful) to ensure there aren't any networking issues. Then start checking error logs, both for D2 and your OS.
magashiro
Acid Prince
45 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
whenever I'm getting stuck with my internet connection, I always give it a shot on those 3 commands using command prompt (on that order):

/ipconfig release
/ipconfig renew
/ipconfig flushdns

you probably have done this, but... just in case :D

Milkshake wrote:Start approaching it from an IT perspective. Do some packet analyzing (WireShark may be useful) to ensure there aren't any networking issues. Then start checking error logs, both for D2 and your OS.

I'd suggest the same.