CNC-DDRAW - Play full screen with no poor graphic

Discuss Median XL!
rngbeast
Vampiress
39 | 0
teodar wrote:So, can you confirm that 2.0 has actual widescreen support (not stretched)?

It definitely doesn't and probably never will. This renderer has some nice shader options that make the game look better, but it's still in 4:3 with black bars on the sides. You can stretch it to 16:9 like OP did, but to me it looks much worse.
Josko_91
Vampiress
35 | 1
I modifyed the DDraw.ini and put:

; Stretch to custom resolution, 0 = defaults to the size game requests
width=3840
height=2160

It's not Stretched for me, atleast I don't notice it. Now only to test which shader is best. The NoBlend one looked weird.
Esbee
Cultist
22 | 19
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Josko_91 wrote:It's not Stretched for me, atleast I don't notice it.

You're just not noticing it, because it absolutely, 100% is. The quickest and easiest way to tell is that the health and mana obs are supposed to be circles, not squashed ovals. Or play in 4:3, then in stretched widescreen and marvel at the difference.

This whole CNC-Draw thing confused the hell out of a ton of folks who, wishful-thinking influenced (like myself), thought the "upscale" stuff in the trailer meant "true widescreen" and that simply isn't the case. The game is 4:3 and MXL does not attempt to change that, and for good reasons. Stretching 4:3 to 16:9 (or whatever baffling ultrawide nonsense is out there) is not the same as proper widescreen and it looks horrible once you realize that is what is going on.

While there are true widescreen methods out there (d2dx, etc) those don't work with MXL... AND, more importantly, the game was never made to support that. You get all kinds of major AI/etc. issues when you can see beyond the borders the game expects and unless the MXL devs could somehow handle that in their engine-within-an-engine (which I doubt is even possible since it's the core D2 engine that is the limiting factor) a true fullscreen mode would be more downsides than up.
Josko_91
Vampiress
35 | 1
Yeah I'm really not noticing lol and that's a good thing I suppose!

The health and mana orbs looks like circles to me. The only thing I did different to this guide was adding that Stretch in DDraw.ini, maybe that made it alot less noticeble? But nevertheless, I am happy how it looks, atleast those filthy black borders are gone!
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
stretched.png

How do you not notice?
chuanki
Stone Warrior
32 | 1
seems providing better graphics(not very easily to tell by eyes)

and one thing it lacks campares with 3dfx mode wiz glide:

when using windowed mode u can hit alt+enter to make it maximize, good for muling wiz 2 windows and adjust back to a fullscreen play

the cnc seems not supporting this little function lol
crest93
Skeleton
2 | 0
rngbeast wrote:
teodar wrote:So, can you confirm that 2.0 has actual widescreen support (not stretched)?

It definitely doesn't and probably never will. This renderer has some nice shader options that make the game look better, but it's still in 4:3 with black bars on the sides. You can stretch it to 16:9 like OP did, but to me it looks much worse.

Is there an option to add layer for black bar like reshade? my card doesn't support openGL 4.3 but think its not that necessary if you only want to replace the black bar right?