Bad iventory data

Discuss Median XL!
syllab
Jungle Hunter
27 | 5
Seikun wrote:
syllab wrote:You misunderstand, I play SP exclusively, there's no decent server for me to play on with low ping. I just think that they remove QoL for SP or do MP-only events, it feels like there's no attention for the lan or offline community. Trading is frowned upon or straight up banned as well. And now this is just another nail in the coffin.

It's hard to tell sarcasm apart from genuine bad ideas, sorry.

No problem, maybe it didn't translate well trough text. I just hope there's some attention for this problem, the game is literally unplayable for single player right now.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
In order to understand all of this problem, we need to understand how that happened, you need to learn to troubleshooting.

I managed to produce bad inventory on purpose, but this required 2 characters though.
Here what I did : Barb is my main character, Ama is level 1 character

1. With my barb, i put 2 different item into shared stash
2. I host a game with my ama on tcp/ip
3. My barb join the game, take first item from shared stash (dont quit)
4. My ama take another item from shared stash (first item is still available, since it snapshotted when load the game)
5. My ama close the game
6. My barb forced quit to multiplayer menu
7. I load my barb successfully in singleplayer
8. My ama no longer can load, perhaps with 2nd item in its inventory

Feel free to replicate this.

*Potential issue is probably duplicate of same item in ama inventory & shared stash (1st item)

EDITED :
I did a 2nd test with necro & barb
If the client save & exit first. Then host save & exit, both character doesnt have bad data.

Hmm, replicating 1st test and didnt manage to replicate the bug
I wonder why.

Third test, I create new amazon again. Suspecting name length could be an issue, i just reused same name
Open shared stash -> crash.

Redo the first test with ama, seem cant replicate the bug.
Too bad. but im sure all bad iventory data have to do with the shared stash handled.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Edited by ParticuLarry 2 years.
Seikun
Abomination
154 | 8
Yo, today it happened to me as well.
It was after I picked some unique amulet and armor in Cathedral. I guess it's uniques that are bugged. First time game crashed on the release day when I tried to put some unique armor into personal stash.
TheError
Rust Claw
82 | 1
Every since reading about issues I have not touched the shared stash (luckily also didn't before) and so far I didn't have any problems with my XBow Necro who is doing early Rifts in Hell right now.
Lakai
Invader
8 | 0
Jeah, cool, nice. Just lost an lvl 110 WW Barb :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:. Was MOing my items and wanted to buy an Oil of Craft didnt gone to my inventory but lost Gold.
kraven1390
Fallen
1 | 0
the same 108 amazon... no comment
Valaraukar
Jungle Hunter
28 | 0
lvl 15 sorc gone, the shared stash is absolutly fine, same for my other characters.

i wish for offline tools being available fast so we can take a look at the inventory of the corrupted chars.

until then or a fix, there is absolutly no reason to play... gg...
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
So far : based from observation

1. Bad inventory data is usually happened with 1 object
2. It usually happened when "ppl pick up something, not showing in inventory" -> save & exit -> data corrupted
3. Some people have this issues multiple times while on single player (im assuming not on tcp/ip games)
4. Problem happen randomly, mostly with / not by shared stash.

I think, moving forward ppl need to do some sort of questionaires like this maybe:

1. What class?
2. What level?
3. Which location you last played? (act xx town, dungeon, map etc)
4. Do you remember what last item your interact with or your last action?
5. Which file was corrupted (shared stash, specific character)
6. Which OS do you play with (xp, win 8, win10 etc)
8. Did you fresh install the game or update a game via launcher from previous sigma installation?
9. Do you have any crash while playing d2?

To prevent major drawback for the future, i can only give couple of suggestion
1. Backup your savefile (from launcher -> setting -> open application data -> backup all files in save folder) periodically
2. If you noticed a weird glitch in game item disappear, IMMEDIATELY open task manager (ctrl + shift + escape), terminate d2.exe
3. Perhaps we can create a script or an app that backup save folder (i think launcher shouldve done for us..) that stored multiple backup copies
(It is abuse-able i know, but better than losing all items / progress)
4. Play SP and not on TCP/IP if you help with it (since now we have shared stash, you no longer need mule for SP)

I already take precaution by storing my savefile once a while
Lets hope there will be something like offline tools that can "uncorrupted" your files in the future, so dont delete your characters.
Valaraukar
Jungle Hunter
28 | 0
1. Sorc
2. 15
3. act 2 town iirc
4. no
5. only the char file itself, other chars are still playable and have access to the shared stash
6. win 10
7. (you missed the 7 :P ) i just updated from the launcher
8. i had only one crash when i tried to open the shared stash with the char which got later corrupted. but at lvl 2, the progress from this char in this session was gone afterwards.