Build for cripples

Discuss Median XL!
real_ist
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Hey guys,
I did some stupid shit, plummeted down 30 m on a hiking trip and broke all of my limbs. My right hand has severe nerve damage and my left arm has a hindered movement.
For healing purposes and to train my fingers I started to play median on my laptop. Due to being limited to a TouchPad (and because I remember him to be absolutely broken) I played a totemancer and had quite a lot of success with it. (SSF, 127 atm, did close to all 120 (fuck you ureh) and can comfortably farm dun, fauz and bremmtown) To train my left hand (can barely move fingers) and because I became bored, I started playing a summon barb, I am currently 54, finished normal and it works quite well.

Are there any other builds that can be played without buttonmashing the monsters? I could maybe deal with leveling to 10, but not further.
Opgedronken
Monkey King
274 | 8
I played a clod pacifist sorc when I broke my hand 2 years ago based on some youtube meme build which was pretty fun and kept me busy for a while.
Edited by Opgedronken 2 years.
Victor
Cog
247 | 37
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Sorry to hear, hope you fully recover!
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I think your best bet is to try out builds using the -act 5 command line option to see what works out for you. Use the 1.5k gold token to buy a required weapon.

Eg. wyrmshot zon, hunting banshee druid can be played holding down LMB and firing by holding down the Stand Still command (shift by default, could rebind to like D or something). Since you're shooting from LMB you can have something else on RMB (jitan's gate) without having to keyswitch on left hand.
real_ist
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
cowking wrote:I think your best bet is to try out builds using the -act 5 command line option to see what works out for you.

Never heard of that. You mind explaining?
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Make a shortcut of game.exe in d2 folder

Right click the shortcut -> choose properties -> add "-act 5" to the end of the target line without the quotation marks

It will start a new char in A5 @ lvl 33, should be enough to get a feel for a build
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
You can also reduce APM/LMB strain with a single attack char (eg. wyrmshot, hunting banshee, carnage) by abusing this bug.

1.) open inventory
2.) hold down LMB on the ground
3.) move your mouse over your inventory
4.) let go of LMB
5.) close inventory using hotkey

You are now perma-moving (without holding down LMB) and only have hold shift to attack (can still sprint and hold down alt to see drops). The downside is this bug breaks if you use RMB (need long duration buffs) or pickup something, so you'd have to do full area clear -> pickup loot -> clear next area.
sixdegrees23
Fallen
1 | 2
I don't have any specific builds to recommend for you. But I can at least offer a few tips that may help, because I have a similar neurological debilitation & I have to make a lot of adjustments to how I play because of that. Plus I once suffered a serious injury to my right hand in a kitchen accident several years ago; and the same as you, I used Median XL to regain most of that hand's function again after that.
Just play whatever build works for you now. But I'd generally recommend playing ranged projectile builds, because their more slow & cautious, kite-and-shoot playstyle can be less intensive and demanding to play.
Depending on how difficult it is for you to play Median XL in your condition now, I'd also just play some simpler Diablo-clones for now. such as Torchlight II or Diablo III, just to regain some basic building blocks of your function in that area first. Then use that as a stepping stone to being able to play Median XL again. E.g. start with any of the Demon Hunter builds in Diablo III. Then work towards playing a Bowazon build in Median XL next.
Then just stating the obvious here: Min-maxing that Bowazon to use as few button-activated attacks & skills as possible can help a lot, too. Plus I'd only play in solo-mode for now if you aren't doing so already, so that you can just play at your own pace, & just gently push your progress with less risk of aggravating your injuries.
Depending on what app you are using to play Median XL on a tablet, also set up your buttons if possible so that you can simply toggle the 'display loot' and 'stand in place' commands on or off with a single press.
On a similar note, you could also just settle for playing something else with a gamepad whenever Median XL becomes too strenuous or untenable to play. I often resort to that too, whenever my debilitation becomes worse.
Above all, just relax & have fun: because so long as you don't overdo it, playing something like Median XL can also give you some much needed stress-relief during the rehabilitation-stage of recovery: & that is going to make it easier for you to get through your recovery in the long-run. :)
Edited by sixdegrees23 2 years.
Kilura
Destroyer
6 | 0
TIL that median xl can be used as a healing tool for broken fingers! i find that EQ/Sor 2hand barb is preaty easy on the fingers
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
cowking wrote:Make a shortcut of game.exe in d2 folder

Right click the shortcut -> choose properties -> add "-act 5" to the end of the target line without the quotation marks

It will start a new char in A5 @ lvl 33, should be enough to get a feel for a build

Wait, what??? This actually works, i thought you are trolling.