The weapons disappearing bug in SP

Discuss Median XL!
Diaco
Void Archon
883 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Alright, so from what I see many people have experienced this bug. It's not the only one in SP right now, but I do think it is the one that's most annoying... and the only one that you can actually do stuff to avoid.

From my personal experience and what I've seen on the bugs thread, there are a couple symptoms that can help identify when a crash and loss of items is about to occurr:
- Weapon swap stops working
- You can't click nor move/remove any gear
- Using a potion on the belt will empty the slot, even if there are more potions above it on the same slot (and you might even be able to see them there)
- picking up an item and it not appearing on your inventory

If this happens, there are two things you should do IMMEDIATELY:
1) Go to the folder with your saves, right click on the save for the character that you are playing right now, go to "Properties", and set it as "Read Only" on the checkboxes at the bottom (uncheck it after opening the character again)
2) DO NOT SAVE & QUIT. Open your task manager (ctrl+shit+esc) and terminate the game.exe process.

If there has not been an autosave after the glitch, you'll be able to save your items.

If anyone detects any new early symptoms please share. Or if someone finds out specific events that can trigger the bug, please post it here so everyone can be aware.

Edit: I'll keep editing this post with contributed symptoms/triggers
Edited by Diaco 2 years.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1223 | 265
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Another symptom: picking up an item and then not being able to find it in your inventory.

I had a
Triad
Triad
Tiara (Sacred)

Defense: (1450 - 1812) to (1640 - 2050)
Required Level: 90
Required Dexterity: 392
Item Level: 1
+(31 to 40)% Bonus to Poison Skill Duration
25% Hit Recovery
+(100 to 150)% Enhanced Defense
(11 to 15)% to Strength
(11 to 15)% to Energy
+(41 to 50) Life when Struck by an Enemy
-5% to All Vendor Prices
Socketed (4)

Adria's Circle
(Sorceress Poison Set)
I clicked on disappear when the bug happened. Reloaded and weapon/shield were gone.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Can I ask if either of you guys above has used the shared stash or the 2nd/3rd pages of the stash?

Reason I ask is that after I read about the SP bugs, when I started SP this season I deliberately avoided using either of those features and I've had no problems with items disappearing.
Diaco
Void Archon
883 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Captcha wrote:Can I ask if either of you guys above has used the shared stash or the 2nd/3rd pages of the stash?

Reason I ask is that after I read about the SP bugs, when I started SP this season I deliberately avoided using either of those features and I've had no problems with items disappearing.

I have, but if I remember correctly this happened before I used it. Can't say 100%
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Nice tips. This has happened to me once and second time I lost the whole char but luckily I'm so paranoid when playing any mods that I backup my char often so I didn't lose much.

Now that Esbee made that backup-program ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65773 ) it is safe to play. Sadly some players, especially new ones, don't know about it... should be stickied and maybe put in tools section until the issues are fixed.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
there is one theory from observation i made.

do you use any of the new enchanted rune or socketing your gears with jewels?
SirJean
Rust Claw
89 | 0
Had a few days with this bug. None had jewels socketed involved or the new enchanted rune. I lost my weapon + shield + sunstone earlier at around lvl 94. Bug appeared a few minutes after playing with the shared stash.
whatthewhat
Imp
4 | 0
Maybe it has something to do with gems? I started few new chars and have some of my gears socketed with flawless gems for early elemental resist and the bug just happened and I can't replace any new item with new ones. I didn't even open the shared stash.