I think the update broke my character

Discuss Median XL!
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
I've been playing an Amazon, following the Storm skilltree. I play off and on, an hour a week or less, and I play the game single-player. I'm not interested in multiplayer, online, leagues, or whatever. So I'm quite annoyed that, from what I can tell, the newest league - that the launcher made me update to before I could play the game - has completely destroyed my character. My favorite skill from the Storm tree, which I had bound to the left-click, no longer exists. I cannot rebind the left-click to any action anymore, the only way I can use the left-click is by swapping equipment sets. All the skill points I had invested in the removed skill(s) are gone, so even if I were interested in the retooled skilltree, I can't redistribute the points to try it out, because I don't have them.

What I'd like to know is, can I revert my game and character to the previous version, and can I play the game completely offline so this kind of crap doesn't happen again?
Immortal2563
Grubber
345 | 10
How can update destroy a character? Are you missing skill points that were not distributed?

If you want to play completely offline you can of course. Remove this application and install it all manually.
1) Install Diablo 2 and the add-on.
2) Download and install patch 1.13c.
3) Download MedianXL or copy it if you still have the game on disk. In the diablo 2 folder find mxl.mpq, sigma.dll, fog.dll these files are medianxl. If you have already deleted this game, you can download the same files here viewtopic.php?t=22755
4) Download D2dx and extract it to the diablo 2 folder.
5) Create a shortcut to the desktop from the game.exe file and click on it with the second button and select properties. In the line of target, add -3dfx. It should look like "x: \ Diablo II \ Game.exe" -3dfx. X is the drive letter. Set it to run as administrator and be in WinXP compatible mode.
6) In the diablo 2 folder you already have a d2dx file, open it with a text editor and set yourself whether you want to play 2 4: 3 or 16:19, vsync, antialiasing etc ...
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Well, it's destroyed in the sense that I was playing a certain way and I can't play that way anymore since it's been removed from the game. But to answer your question, yes, I am missing skill points. And I can't use the left-click option in one weapon set, so if I were the type of character to use two weapon sets and swap between them (which I'm not, thankfully), that'd be broken as well.

I'll try following your steps for playing offline, but is there any way to restore my character to the older version? Is there a backup file saved anywhere? I've looked through a few of the game directories but haven't seen anything obvious. If there's no way to get my character back then there's not much point in playing offline, I don't want to play through the whole game again.
asadasa
Prowler
19 | 2
Had an stormzon from 2.2 aftet update i was also missing some skill points idk about the left click thing since i only use movement on left but a respec fixed the skill points
Immortal2563
Grubber
345 | 10
KelpTheGreat wrote:Well, it's destroyed in the sense that I was playing a certain way and I can't play that way anymore since it's been removed from the game. But to answer your question, yes, I am missing skill points. And I can't use the left-click option in one weapon set, so if I were the type of character to use two weapon sets and swap between them (which I'm not, thankfully), that'd be broken as well.

I'll try following your steps for playing offline, but is there any way to restore my character to the older version? Is there a backup file saved anywhere? I've looked through a few of the game directories but haven't seen anything obvious. If there's no way to get my character back then there's not much point in playing offline, I don't want to play through the whole game again.

If you haven't made copies yourself, there is no such option. There is only one file of your character .d2s and stash which is what you had in the cube. The only thing you can do in the future is to make copies of your characters a few times a day.

I wonder what it would be like if you reset this character. Do you have Beladonna? Green vial. She should completely restore her character and give you all the stat points and skills at your disposal so that you can redistribute them.
KelpTheGreat
Prowler
17 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
I thought the only respec option was with the NPC in the first chapter, and I thought you couldn't do that after level 50. I'll look into this thing you mention.

Anyone care to explain why the skill tree was changed so drastically in the first place? Was there something wrong with it? I was quite enjoying the way it was.
asadasa
Prowler
19 | 2
KelpTheGreat wrote:I thought the only respec option was with the NPC in the first chapter, and I thought you couldn't do that after level 50. I'll look into this thing you mention.

You can use the offline tools for unlimited respecs, from the home page of median under the option game you have a list of tools you can download