Old Version of Median Online for End of Season inspired by Drydek_TV

Discuss Median XL!

Would you like to play an old version of median xl between the season?

Yes
46%
No
38%
Just want to watch the steamers
9%
Can't wait for that :D
8%

Total votes: 114

Caleb
Rust Claw
86 | 3
RequiemLux wrote:
Caleb wrote:
► Show Spoiler

First, let me assure you that nobody in their right mind thinks we are here to compete with triple A titles and even less PoE; second, let me assure you that everybody here but the game engine likes fancy effects and explosions, many things are the way they are for reasons that might surprise you how closely related to technical limitations are rather than arbitrary choices or unscrutable "visions".
For whacky OP stuff or balance related stuff, that's another story. I'm not sure what you're referring exactly with "diversity of builds" since, at least on paper, current version is one of the most prolific in that sense, but I'll assume you meant "viability" of different builds and we can surely improve on that. It is a set of factors that goes from strict parametric calibrations on all sort of things to macro-cosmos such as itemizetion at large. It is a very huge set of variables that we are constantly adjusting to strike a good balance to keep the game engaging and fair. Have we succeeded and figured it all out? ofc not, not even close. Have we failed in our quest? not by a long shot. Fun is a subjective thing and often there is a lot of overlapping between unfun and fun when it comes to the subjective view of a playerbase. If we were to going by the numbers alone then mxl has never ever been so appreciated as of recent times, community is freaking huge, number of people on dead ladder time is often comparable to that of prime time of old mxl, proportionally to the increased playerbase there have never been fewer complaints... But we know better than that, and the project is perpetually in active development exactly because something better can always be striven for and we're not blind to that. I dunno where you guys get some of the funky ideas you have, prolly is just lack of proper communication on our part (we know we are generally pretty lackluster on that front), but keep in mind we welcome healthy criticism when is reasonable feedback.

Well you just want to justify the devs choices, np we don't have the same vision of fun. Players opinions doen't seems to matter for you if they aren't the same as yours... I'll just see one of my favorite mod die and I'll accept, it's the time to make my mourning.
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Taem wrote:I think the problem is all the "fun" aspects were removed to make the game easier for new players.

REMOVED:

*Punisher traps. Now what's the point of a trapped chest?
*K3K. The old mechanic was grueling but insanely fun and rewarding. Now it's a fucking mindless slugfest. If I wanted that, I'd play vanilla all day...
*Duncraig. Teleport areas meant you had to have FAST reflexes when porting to a new location to get get swarmed and die! It was FUN. Now, another fucking mindless slugfest.
*Fautz: the secret hidden passages and hidden teleport areas were rewarding to find and FUN, felt like you discovered something you weren't supposed to. Making the maps all uniform killed the fun.
*Butcher. Yo, how fucking difficult was it to stand in the circle while getting whacked? Not hard, but definitely challenging and once again, FUN! The new mechanic... another boring slugfest.
*Creature of Flame. Bring back to 1hit TKO mechanic, because he's so easy now, it's literally the stupidest "Uber" in the entire game... He telegraphed his 1hit TKO before so I don't understand why it was removed to begin with...
*Same with The Countess, although I can see removing these mechanics from the standard game and reserving them for Ubers, but removing them entirely? Come on...

High quality shitpost

Couldn't pick more trivial and meaningless things from MXLU even if I tried
paolo12
Cog
203 | 18
Complainers seem to forget that Dunc +fautz were absolute endgame in old mxl versions. Now they're early/midgame really. Remember mindless tran athulua at players8? That's what Dunc/fautz are now. These levels shouldn't be unnecessarily complicated. IMHO obviously :mrgreen:
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
dying mod btw.png

Dying mod btw. 1.3's 120+ is estimated as 80% of the characters 115+ because I couldn't find the data. Feel free to quibble whether 120+ pre-Sigma is the same indicator of the playerbase as 120+ in Sigma; having played the majority of these versions I think it's similar enough for the point.

I'm not going to pretend that every change that's been made over the years was positive, and I know a lot of veterans have specific gripes about changes over the years, myself included, but let's try to keep it in perspective.
kris441
Gravedigger
194 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Siosilvar wrote:
dying mod btw.png

Dying mod btw. 1.3's 120+ is estimated as 80% of the characters 115+ because I couldn't find the data. Feel free to quibble whether 120+ pre-Sigma is the same indicator of the playerbase as 120+ in Sigma; having played the majority of these versions I think it's similar enough for the point.

I'm not going to pretend that every change that's been made over the years was positive, and I know a lot of veterans have specific gripes about changes over the years, myself included, but let's try to keep it in perspective.

When I was saying the season is dead, I didn't mean that at the beginning of the ladder there are no players. At every single ladder reset, a lot of people are playing, but the ladder dies pretty fast. And you can also see the engagement in the forum the tg section. I will post some picture under!
I didn't want that this topic will be about, what is bad about current version and so on. That was not my point. As you can see currently there are 58 people, players that voted that they want to play or watch old version at the end of the season, as Season Special or Bonus for the Players....
Again, I don't want to say that this version is bad, or the devs don't do a great job. The Idea of the topic is to bring something special in the end for short period of time to bring back a lot of the people in between the season. I know this is not all the players that voted, but 58 Players is still a good number, that would be happy to see some event.
Please, this topic is not about how to prolong the season or to make the game better, there are some topics about that.
This Topic is about some fun event for the players at the end of the season!
Cheers :)

ImageImageImage
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
The numbers speak for themselves... more players want the old Mods than then the new mods. Mistakes were made. Obvious problem is obvious....
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
cowking wrote:
Taem wrote:I think the problem is all the "fun" aspects were removed to make the game easier for new players.

REMOVED:

*K3K. The old mechanic was grueling but insanely fun and rewarding. Now it's a fucking mindless slugfest. If I wanted that, I'd play vanilla all day...
*Duncraig. Teleport areas meant you had to have FAST reflexes when porting to a new location to get get swarmed and die! It was FUN. Now, another fucking mindless slugfest.
*Fautz: the secret hidden passages and hidden teleport areas were rewarding to find and FUN, felt like you discovered something you weren't supposed to. Making the maps all uniform killed the fun.
*Butcher. Yo, how fucking difficult was it to stand in the circle while getting whacked? Not hard, but definitely challenging and once again, FUN! The new mechanic... another boring slugfest.
*Creature of Flame. Bring back to 1hit TKO mechanic, because he's so easy now, it's literally the stupidest "Uber" in the entire game... He telegraphed his 1hit TKO before so I don't understand why it was removed to begin with...
*Same with The Countess, although I can see removing these mechanics from the standard game and reserving them for Ubers, but removing them entirely? Come on...

High quality shitpost

I'm sure there's many good point that could be made by comparing old and current median, there is so many patches that we almost have many different games now. Yet every "old was better" talks end up as just random nostalgic memories instead of giving a proper direction so that never go anywhere.

I personally agree that the team energy should go to the current version, and let the old ones available for sp plays (more easily maybe).
Another thing, is it even possible to set up the servers so that some players are playing sigma and others some other ver? I'm sure you didn't intent to let every remaining players have some random update by force, so that has to be possible, otherwise the idea is out.
It could be a good event though anyway, but not something that happen everytime.
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Yet every "old was better" talks end up as just random nostalgic memories instead of giving a proper direction so that never go anywhere.

Except I gave precise details on what I feel should change... it's pretty blatant. I mean, I didn't give a play-by-play of how the old mechanics worked, but this is something I assume the dev's would already know. Anyways, I do appreciate your input, than-you!
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I was a bit high when I voted yes but now I think about that It's just stupid. Nostalgic is for single or TCP/IP, which are available right here. So have some friends to play with you.
kris441
Gravedigger
194 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Lynderika wrote:
cowking wrote:

REMOVED:

High quality shitpost

I'm sure there's many good point that could be made by comparing old and current median, there is so many patches that we almost have many different games now. Yet every "old was better" talks end up as just random nostalgic memories instead of giving a proper direction so that never go anywhere.

I personally agree that the team energy should go to the current version, and let the old ones available for sp plays (more easily maybe).
Another thing, is it even possible to set up the servers so that some players are playing sigma and others some other ver? I'm sure you didn't intent to let every remaining players have some random update by force, so that has to be possible, otherwise the idea is out.
It could be a good event though anyway, but not something that happen everytime.

yeah, that was my point