Discuss Median XL!
HeaT_
Rust Claw
83 | 5
Siosilvar wrote:Lockouts by definition add to the challenge of the boss, because it gives you a time constraint after which you have just one more chance to clear Lockouts mean you can't just respawn indefinitely adding a little bit of chip damage every 10 seconds and you actually have to learn how to do the fight. The only one I can think of that's genuinely irrelevant is Baal, because 20 minutes is incredibly long for even a bad RNG clear.

i kinda feel like uldy is irrelevant as well.

what about lab lockouts, is the same philosophy applied there? i don't particularly mind lockouts for bosses because most of then you can get to deterministically, but lockouts for bosses / zones that are highly driven by rng may warrant a closer look.

like the other night i opened a tier 7 and phobos was right next to the portal along with normal mobs, bonked me nearly instantly (added damage of other mobs too). if i didn't know what that dude was what would i have learned from that? at minimum i'd be like huh, that was random and bad luck and two, it's double the bad luck because i have to go back down to tier 3 to work my way up back to 7, if the luck allows.

just some things to think about.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
HeaT_ wrote:
Siosilvar wrote:Lockouts by definition add to the challenge of the boss, because it gives you a time constraint after which you have just one more chance to clear Lockouts mean you can't just respawn indefinitely adding a little bit of chip damage every 10 seconds and you actually have to learn how to do the fight. The only one I can think of that's genuinely irrelevant is Baal, because 20 minutes is incredibly long for even a bad RNG clear.

what about lab lockouts, is the same philosophy applied there? i don't particularly mind lockouts for bosses because most of then you can get to deterministically, but lockouts for bosses / zones that are highly driven by rng may warrant a closer look.

like the other night i opened a tier 7 and phobos was right next to the portal along with normal mobs, bonked me nearly instantly (added damage of other mobs too). if i didn't know what that dude was what would i have learned from that? at minimum i'd be like huh, that was random and bad luck and two, it's double the bad luck because i have to go back down to tier 3 to work my way up back to 7, if the luck allows.

labs philosophy is "take it boy"
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
labs philosophy is "It's not fun"

I agree with timers, with bosses just make them heal 100% when you die. Give new people an easier time to learn things.
Berkabus1
Grubber
331 | 20
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I guess that mod makers and staff has biggest power/saying in the matter. But would it be possible to vote on features? Just after each patch when the new work begin for a new season.

Would be fun to se How the game would look like if players (based on democrazy) would had some say.
metasequoia
Gravedigger
195 | 19
Jampula wrote:labs philosophy is "It's not fun"

I agree with timers, with bosses just make them heal 100% when you die. Give new people an easier time to learn things.

If you made it to Labs, you've learned a great many things.
HeaT_
Rust Claw
83 | 5
Siosilvar wrote:
HeaT_ wrote:

labs philosophy is "take it boy"

:D hahah i respect that! :flip:
HeaT_
Rust Claw
83 | 5

out of curiosity whey do you consider it not fun?
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
metasequoia wrote:If you made it to Labs, you've learned a great many things.

I didn't mean labs, many ubers just want to chew your dick off IF you don't have some kind of experience on certain things. Put a timer in there and here we go again from the beginning.

HeaT_ wrote:

out of curiosity whey do you consider it not fun?

Pretty much everything. The acceptance, preparing for it, grinding and even prizes aren't that good. Then again I'm a casual player now so bear with me.
freeman20
Stone Warrior
32 | 1
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Gosh, totally agreed. Gonna start 19-th run to kingdom of shadows (dumass zombie run) and i cant even reach the boss. Im okay with most of lockdowns due to it push you to play without deaths at all, its fine. But that zombie run just blew my butt to pieces. Mad ah
metasequoia
Gravedigger
195 | 19
Well maybe just bring back Hard Mode Charm then. Cube to turn on/off Hard Mode=Lockdowns. Reward charms obtained without Lockdowns will be weaker.
Easy fix. (not too serious)

No seriously, this would give new players (or players who don't want the pain) the learning space they need while keeping the core what it is. A very hard game (which is why a lot of people love it, i think).

For me, as a person who struggles with motivation issues a lot, a lot of harder content was a wall as well, for the most part of the last 10? Idk. years of Median for me.

Atanna Khan. Ureh. Hell even Kabraxis.

And slowly, that limit has been pushed (by me) to a point where i'm actually thinking about giving Laz a serious attempt at grinding for victory, and not with a Pally or Assa.
And I've played in the immunity shield days as well. Lockdowns = far better.