Act 3 Merc borderline unplayable - ideas

Discuss Median XL!
MammothBro
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
Ok, so I know about the "walk=freezing merc" bug, I also know that you need to blink or "teleport" (via portal or a passage underground) to unfreeze him. I played around with the act 1 and 2 mercenaries, sometimes they froze but it wasn't a very big issue, because it happened rarely, about once every ~2-3 areas. This is bearable.

BUT.

The act 3 mercs (I'm using a necrolyte) are a goddamn nightmare. They easily lock at least 2 times in the same AREA. And as an early bloodzon I have no other means of remedy than TP or going to a dungeon. As Median is more designed towards walking than running this makes them completely unreliable.

Now, I thought about it a little, done some experiments and I think it has something to do with the "avoid melee, go to safe range" mechanic of this merc. This would also mean, that act 1 merc would be more prone to locking than the act 2 one, and - wouldn't you know it - she is more prone to this (priestess or ranger, doesn't matter) than the act 2 merc (shapeshifter at least).

I know the locking happens randomly but it got me wondering - maybe something would change if act 3 mercs would get something like %chance on hit "Phasing" (teleporting them in a random place not far from where they are standing; it could even be a "dummy" teleport with 0,1 meters range), maybe it would refresh their logic every time it happens and at least reduce the chance of a lock happening?
CaoBao
Bone Archer
72 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
MammothBro wrote:Ok, so I know about the "walk=freezing merc" bug, I also know that you need to blink or "teleport" (via portal or a passage underground) to unfreeze him. I played around with the act 1 and 2 mercenaries, sometimes they froze but it wasn't a very big issue, because it happened rarely, about once every ~2-3 areas. This is bearable.

BUT.

The act 3 mercs (I'm using a necrolyte) are a goddamn nightmare. They easily lock at least 2 times in the same AREA. And as an early bloodzon I have no other means of remedy than TP or going to a dungeon. As Median is more designed towards walking than running this makes them completely unreliable.

Now, I thought about it a little, done some experiments and I think it has something to do with the "avoid melee, go to safe range" mechanic of this merc. This would also mean, that act 1 merc would be more prone to locking than the act 2 one, and - wouldn't you know it - she is more prone to this (priestess or ranger, doesn't matter) than the act 2 merc (shapeshifter at least).

I know the locking happens randomly but it got me wondering - maybe something would change if act 3 mercs would get something like %chance on hit "Phasing" (teleporting them in a random place not far from where they are standing; it could even be a "dummy" teleport with 0,1 meters range), maybe it would refresh their logic every time it happens and at least reduce the chance of a lock happening?

If you can afford Tir Rune, put it in staff and you get free blink on switch.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
This is one of many reasons every build should have a built-in teleport imho.
Redemption
Gravedigger
195 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Also to add onto the whole teleport thing, didn't they remove the defense reduction to running?
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1218 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Redemption wrote:Also to add onto the whole teleport thing, didn't they remove the defense reduction to running?

No.

Walk speed is faster than the vanilla game's run speed, sprinting still reduces defense to 0 and cuts your block by 2/3.
Redemption
Gravedigger
195 | 1
Common Popularity Badge
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Siosilvar wrote:
Redemption wrote:Also to add onto the whole teleport thing, didn't they remove the defense reduction to running?

No.

Walk speed is faster than the vanilla game's run speed, sprinting still reduces defense to 0 and cuts your block by 2/3.

is it just not shown anymore? Because i have tried running with my character stat screen up and my defense doesn't go to 0 like it used to
Trashkitten
Stone Warrior
31 | 4
Maybe give an innate re-summon ability, which is basically a stand-in-place teleport that doesn't move you anywhere, but pops all your existing pets and mercs on top of you.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1218 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Redemption wrote:
Siosilvar wrote:

No.

is it just not shown anymore? Because i have tried running with my character stat screen up and my defense doesn't go to 0 like it used to

Diablo II never showed that on the character screen, that was added in Resurrected.

Trashkitten wrote:Maybe give an innate re-summon ability, which is basically a stand-in-place teleport that doesn't move you anywhere, but pops all your existing pets and mercs on top of you.

We've discussed adding this recently (a few weeks ago), and it might happen if someone finds the time for it.
marco311
Grubber
341 | 5
Why don't u just turn 'em in auralike mercs...
similar to Rathma/Djinn...

act1 ias/fcr
act2 res cold 'n max/fire'n max/lighting'max
act3 %dex/%str/%ene
act4 %pr/%mr/%vit

U add a 50lvl scaling... aura lvl 1 up to 50, aura lvl 2 up to 100, aura lvl 3 up to 125, aura lvl 4 125+

And instead of "gear users" they become "2nd bag mules" and u replace their gear with an additional inventory... something like a Cube Hireling...

It would be nice even to replace them with real : act 1 (mules 2 colors), act2 (camels 3 colors), act3 (exotic beasts 3 colors), act4 (savage beasts 3 colors)

Or u might just make all just auralike with a special merc granting the extra inventory unlockable at 125+... something like a Sescheron Bagged Bug.