[Not recommended as of 2.1] Maelstrom Assassin miniguide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Maphyr wrote:
Istaryu wrote:
Maphyr wrote:So um, after that 1.6 nerf to Hexward... a t4 Black Sheep Wall is putting up better numbers?

I can't see how that would happen.
Hexward
Hexward
Totem Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (1668 - 2085) to (1932 - 2415)
Chance to Block: 4%
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 527
Item Level: 105
Maelstrom MkI: +25% Bonus Magic Damage
2% Chance to cast level 50 Shadow Blade on Striking
+(140 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
(20 to 30)% to Dexterity
20% Curse Length Reduction
Physical Resist 5%
Socketed (6)
can have 30% dex as opposed to 16% on
Black Sheep Wall
Black Sheep Wall
Totem Shield (4)

Defense: (47 - 51) to (91 - 100)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 6
Required Dexterity: 44
Item Level: 10
+1 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(4 to 5) to Maximum Damage
Adds 6-8 Magic Damage
2% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(12 to 23)% Enhanced Defense
4% to Dexterity
+2 to Light Radius
Socketed (1)
Defense: (175 - 189) to (290 - 313)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 24
Required Dexterity: 65
Item Level: 31
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(7 to 9) to Maximum Damage
Adds 18-23 Magic Damage
4% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(35 to 46)% Enhanced Defense
8% to Dexterity
+4 to Light Radius
Socketed (4)
Defense: (442 - 473) to (701 - 750)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 41
Required Dexterity: 137
Item Level: 51
+3 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(15 to 18) to Maximum Damage
Adds 61-68 Magic Damage
6% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(58 to 69)% Enhanced Defense
12% to Dexterity
+7 to Light Radius
Socketed (5)
Defense: (650 - 693) to (1025 - 1092)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 50
Required Dexterity: 282
Item Level: 77
+4 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(31 to 36) to Maximum Damage
Adds 150-200 Magic Damage
7% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(69 to 80)% Enhanced Defense
16% to Dexterity
+10 to Light Radius
Socketed (6)
, and then there is the orange modifier. Maybe if you have low dex to make use of the orange modifier on hexward, black sheep wall could be more damage, because it has flat physical and magic damage, but hexward would outscale it really fast as you start getting charms and better items.

Yea, my dex is pretty low at this point. We'll see once I get better but right now.. the Black Sheep blows it out of the water on the dmg sheet at least. Nearly double the damage.

But I don't think a SU should have to roll near perfect dex to beat out a t4 TU... that's just... not right. My Hexward did roll on the low end of Dex% but it's an SU, I don't think they should have removed the flat phys damage from it. The added proc does not make up for it, Hexward used to be a major dps boost and now it's being beat out by a T4 TU. Pretty awful attempt at balancing imo.

You are building your character wrong if tu totem shield has double the dmg compared to hexward. It means that most of your dmg is coming from your weapon dmg and the flat magic dmg on tu totem shield, and not from the dex conversion on maelstrom.
Maphyr
Acid Prince
47 | 1
Istaryu wrote:You are building your character wrong if tu totem shield has double the dmg compared to hexward. It means that most of your dmg is coming from your weapon dmg and the flat magic dmg on tu totem shield, and not from the dex conversion on maelstrom.

Yea, you're right.

I got more dex now and Hex is pulling ahead.
Memory
Prowler
15 | 0
hello new player of median xl here, is this still good in the new update? is there an update guide? thanks in advance
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Memory wrote:hello new player of median xl here, is this still good in the new update? is there an update guide? thanks in advance

Assa haven't got any major nerfs so should be. Prismatic Cloak got a hit but shouldn't affect this build.
Memory
Prowler
15 | 0
Jampula wrote:
Memory wrote:hello new player of median xl here, is this still good in the new update? is there an update guide? thanks in advance

Assa haven't got any major nerfs so should be. Prismatic Cloak got a hit but shouldn't affect this build.

what can you say about the pinnacle nerf?. in the new patch, it gives you stamina instead of dexterity. how can this affect damage
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Memory wrote:what can you say about the pinnacle nerf?. in the new patch, it gives you stamina instead of dexterity. how can this affect damage

I'm not playing so much anymore so OP should answer that.

But this build has always been strong, so mild dex-nerf shouldn't affect it.
uberecht
Sasquatch
65 | 6
Memory wrote:
Jampula wrote:

what can you say about the pinnacle nerf?. in the new patch, it gives you stamina instead of dexterity. how can this affect damage

Pinnacle Nerf definitely reduced damage output, if you go back a few pages in the discussion there is talk about alternate specs skipping pinnacle and going for Ways (Phoenix/Gryphon) instead, but also not an expert on how those compare.
rokot7er
Skeleton
2 | 0
Reading through some of the older posts and comparing to my current build makes me feel like I'm missing a huge chunk of damage. I really cant figure out what it might be, but here are my current stats.

I have all the charms through 115 and a couple of the 120 ones. I'm really not sure why I only have ~4100 average damage with 3700+ dex. Obviously this can/will scale much higher, but there are some previous posts that have 8000+ average damage with 3900 dex. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but any help would be appreciated.
Ruubel
Onyx Knight
636 | 12
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
That "obvious " thing is "nerfed" hitpoints and dmg at 50% by a patch
rokot7er
Skeleton
2 | 0
Doh!

I checked through the patch notes for Maelstrom changes, but totally overlooked the overall damage squish. Thanks!